Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers may delay start for new police recruits, citing budget troubles

10 posts in this topic

Yonkers may delay start for new police recruits, citing budget troubles

By Ernie Garcia • elgarcia@lohud.com • January 1, 2011

YONKERS — Negative mid-year budget numbers may force the city to postpone sending 30 to 35 new police recruits to the Westchester County Police Academy on Jan. 10, the mayor said this week.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110101/NEWS02/101010322/Yonkers-may-delay-start-for-new-police-recruits-citing-budget-troubles

Doesn't Yonkers have Officers who were laid off?

I find it amusing that Yonkers can find money for urban renewal projects but they can't find money to hire more cops, and fireman to protect these "Renewal" projects

I think Yonkers city government needs to be totally striped from the top down, and they need to start over. It's obvious that the current government has no IDEA what they are doing, and how to spend there money. Maybe the state should take over?

Yonkers renewal plan...

I could not have said it any better. "New Developments in Yonkers Means New Jobs" ??????? - Hey, the City of Yonkers just "CUT AGAIN" the budge line that was going to be use for funding the purchase land to build a New YFD Station 10 (In association with the "So Called PROMISSED") that was going to be built (with the developer paying for a large piece of) in relationship to the RIDGE HILL DEVELOPMENT. Ha! What a Joke. All Political Talk and NOTHING HAPPENS. There was supposed to be a Additional Fire Company added as part of the Ridge Hill Project (Presumably it was going to be a New Ladder Company).

But, again, years later and NOTHING BUT LIP SERVICE. Don't bet on this New Station (10) ever getting built within the next couple of years. And don't bet on having that New YFD Fire Headquarters built as part of the Yonkers Downtown Development. Capelli just backed out of the proposed New Development in New Rochelle, so I suspect that anything for Downtown Yonkers will not see the light of day anytime soon either.

"PROMISES - PROMISES"

I find it amusing that Yonkers can find money for urban renewal projects but they can't find money to hire more cops, and fireman to protect these "Renewal" projects

I think Yonkers city government needs to be totally striped from the top down, and they need to start over. It's obvious that the current government has no IDEA what they are doing, and how to spend there money. Maybe the state should take over?

Yonkers renewal plan...

Edited by 61MACKBR1
spyda308 likes this

Maybe the state should take over?

Do you really think that NYS has a better clue than Yonkers. They both have the same game book.

I find it hard to believe that Yonkers residents pay an additional tax to live in Yonkers and they can not make ends meet. Something not right here.

Amicone is just perpetuating the problem. Overtime costs will not go down if they don't hire personnel to fill vacancies (note this is vacancies, not new positions). They haven't hired in 2 or 3 classes and with attrition the problem is only going to get worse.

Not hiring in this class costs them another full year because even if they hire in July, those cops don't hit the street (and have an impact on the shortage) until early next year.

The latest work is that they are going to hire 35 this week the academy starts Jan 10. Good luck to those ready to go.

x635 likes this

Yonkers police department has hired 35 people. Most of them already have gotten there phone calls. They start thursday 1/6/11 academy starts 1/10/11 good luck to them.

x635 likes this

Yonkers police department has hired 35 people. Most of them already have gotten there phone calls. They start thursday 1/6/11 academy starts 1/10/11 good luck to them.

Awesome news! Thanks for keeping us up to date!