Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

James Brophy - Retired Chief of Police - Sleepy Hollow, NY

9 posts in this topic

James Patrick Brophy of Croton and formerly and of Sleepy Hollow died January 7, 2011 after a long illness. He was 61.

Born in Tarrytown on January 26, 1949, he was the son of Joseph and Evelyn Byrnes Brophy. He graduated from Sleepy Hollow High School in 1967 and Franklin Pierce College in 1971. He began his career in law enforcement in 1971 as a police officer in White Plains and transferred to North Tarrytown in 1973. He worked his way up to chief of the Sleepy Hollow Police Department and retired in 1997 after 26 years of service.

James was a member of the Sleepy Hollow PBA, Westchester County PBA and the New York State Chiefs of Police Association. He was a member of the Hudson Valley Critical Incident Stress Management Team. He was an instructor at the Westchester County Police Academy and a Firearms instructor for the FBI. James was a former member of both the Sleepy Hollow Fire Patrol and the Cortlandt Ambulance Corps.

He is survived by his children Erin Brophy of Buchanan and Shawn (Stephanie) of Joshua Tree, CA as well as his granddaughter Teagan Brophy and his grandson Orion Brophy. He is also survived by Marie Brophy.

Visitation will be at COFFEY FUNERAL HOME on Monday from 2-4 & 7-9 PM. His Funeral Mass will be Tuesday at 10:00 at St. Teresa of Avila Church with interment to follow in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Address for Coffey Funeral Home is 91 North Broadway in Tarrytown and the Adress for St. Teresa's Church is 130 Beekman Avenue.

Uniforms optional for any emergency services personel in attendence.

James Patrick Brophy of Croton and formerly and of Sleepy Hollow died January 7, 2011 after a long illness. He was 61.

Born in Tarrytown on January 26, 1949, he was the son of Joseph and Evelyn Byrnes Brophy. He graduated from Sleepy Hollow High School in 1967 and Franklin Pierce College in 1971. He began his career in law enforcement in 1971 as a police officer in White Plains and transferred to North Tarrytown in 1973. He worked his way up to chief of the Sleepy Hollow Police Department and retired in 1997 after 26 years of service.

James was a member of the Sleepy Hollow PBA, Westchester County PBA and the New York State Chiefs of Police Association. He was a member of the Hudson Valley Critical Incident Stress Management Team. He was an instructor at the Westchester County Police Academy and a Firearms instructor for the FBI. James was a former member of both the Sleepy Hollow Fire Patrol and the Cortlandt Ambulance Corps.

He is survived by his children Erin Brophy of Buchanan and Shawn (Stephanie) of Joshua Tree, CA as well as his granddaughter Teagan Brophy and his grandson Orion Brophy. He is also survived by Marie Brophy.

Visitation will be at COFFEY FUNERAL HOME on Monday from 2-4 & 7-9 PM. His Funeral Mass will be Tuesday at 10:00 at St. Teresa of Avila Church with interment to follow in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Edited by 20Truck

I'll probably be there for the afternoon session of the wake. Was actually in Sleepy today. For those of you who didn't know Jim Brophy was also an EMT with the old Westchester Ambulance Service when it was based out of Elmsford. I had the opportunity to work with him on several occassions. RIP Chief

I grew up around Jim Brophy as he worked with my father for many years at the NTPD. Rest In Peace, Chief. You'll be missed.

My thoughts and prayers. North Tarrytown was a MUCH different place then it is now, and under his watch he kept things in order.

I'm glad to have known Mr. Brophy, and am sorry to see him pass. At least now he can rest in peace.

I had the pleasure of working with Jim for a short time.

He was a good guy and loved Law Enforcement. RIP Brother!

I had the pleasurer to have known Jim since High School--truly one of the nicest men I have known---and not a bad police officer either. A true leader ,he thought of the men and the community before himself.Jim you will be missed by all that knew you.

Edited by firecapt32

I knew Jim through his son Shawn and daughter Erin, as well as Cortlandt VAC. Jim was an all-around good guy who i always enjoyed talking to. Im sorry to hear of his passing, i can only hope that he can now rest in peace.

My thoughts go out to Shawn, Erin and Marie.

RIP Mr. Brophy