Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Firefighter Exam for Dummies

8 posts in this topic

Seems like a cool book!

Firefighter Exam for Dummies, Stacy L. Bell, Tracey Vasil Biscontini, Lindsay Rock, Wiley Publishing, 2011

The fast and easy way to score your best on the Firefighter Exam.

In addition to physical tests of strength, agility, and coordination, firefighters must also pass a difficult written test that requires serious preparation to fare well, and many applicants fail to succeed.

Firefighter Exam For Dummies gives you a complete review of the most commonly tested topics that are typical of firefighter exams given to candidates across North America, as well as tips and advice on how to pass the oral interview, psychological testing, and the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT).

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/bf5577.shtml

Barnes and Noble has it for cheaper:

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=firefighter+exam+for+dummies&page=index&prod=univ&choice=allproducts&query=Firefighter+Exam+for+Dummies&flag=False&ugrp=0

Interesting find.....since dummies are exactly who they're aiming future exams at.

They'll have to change the title to: Firefighter Exam a Test for Dummies

I wonder if handing every applicant a copy of the book when they apply for the exam will satisfy Judge Garaufis and the Vulcan Society? :blink:

I wonder if handing every applicant a copy of the book when they apply for the exam will satisfy Judge Garaufis and the Vulcan Society? :blink:

The only thing that will satisfy the Vulcan Society is handing the job to any potential Vulcan Member who walks through the door. Qualifications are simply an inconvenience.

Interesting find.....since dummies are exactly who they're aiming future exams at.

They'll have to change the title to: Firefighter Exam a Test for Dummies

"Welcome to your generic Civil Service test. Today's exam will be held for (looks down at packet) Firefighter. Or Secretary, or Janitor, or Public Health Nurse... depending on which application you filed. Start..... now."

Regardless of politics, this book seems to be good for the canidate who want to postion him/herself to be the top choice. I think a lot of advice in this book is valid, and shouldn't be discounted due to "politics".

There are a number of departments across the nation where people claim the test isn't fair. But there are several excellent agencies where the information found in this book, if it is used, can really help a canidate acheive their goal.

Seth, I agree that the book can probably be very useful but in light of the recent (and past) call to "dumb down" the tests so certain applicant pools can do better I feel that the book title is insensitive and poorly timed. While I am aware it is just another installment to the Books for Dummies series it does not make it any less fuel for a charged environment. On a side note, I myself have found that many of the Dummies series books were very informative and well written