Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Concrete Pumps Adaptable For Fire Service Use?

14 posts in this topic

With all the new construction going on down here, I frequently see these concrete pumps used mainly to pour foundations.

I think they could be very useful in delivering a large amount of water to a difficult area to access. They can go up, over, and around a lot of obstacles, and have a far reach.

Phoenix FD has one adapted for firematic and foam use:

http://phoenixfirepics.angelfire.com/PhoenixFire5.html

So, why don't we see more of these?

post-11-0-04888200-1298937383.jpg

The Refinery Terminal Fire Co., Corpus Christi, Texas, Has 2 such units built on American Lafrance chassis. www.rtfc.org

Edited by 50caliber
x635 likes this

With all the new construction going on down here, I frequently see these concrete pumps used mainly to pour foundations.

I think they could be very useful in delivering a large amount of water to a difficult area to access. They can go up, over, and around a lot of obstacles, and have a far reach.

Phoenix FD has one adapted for firematic and foam use:

http://phoenixfirepics.angelfire.com/PhoenixFire5.html

So, why don't we see more of these?

post-11-0-04888200-1298937383.jpg

Phoenix doesn't use them for fire attack per se. Phoenix has had a major population influx and the resulting building boom has been with nothing but wood trusses. Combine that with the fact that Phoenix is in a desert where water is scarce, and I would conclude that they "build a lot of parking lots" as the saying goes. What's a parking unless it's paved and striped?

OR

Brunacini probably came up with the theory that concrete is actually a good ABCD extinguishing agent. Encase anything in concrete, even nukes, and it will not burn. There's no need for overhaul, either. The only complaint he got is from the Cause and origin team.

x635 likes this

I want to say I've seen pics of rig in PA that is this concept, from what I remember reading the rig was broken/OOS more then it was in.

Encase anything in concrete, even nukes, and it will not burn.

Under severe accidents involving molten nuclear fuel, core-concrete interaction will melt and spall concrete and off-gas hydrogen, producing fire and explosion risks.

Under severe accidents involving molten nuclear fuel, core-concrete interaction will melt and spall concrete and off-gas hydrogen, producing fire and explosion risks.

So Brunacini was wrong, Huh ?

Hear about the Hydrogen atom who was all upset?

His friend said "Whats wrong?" He answered "I lost my electron!"

"Are you sure?" said his friend.

"Yes, I'm positive"

Apologies to those in the Nuke industry. You've heard it 100 times, but for the rest, it might be funny.

JohnnyOV, Monty and x635 like this

Concrete and nukes, since the conversation drifted in that direction momentarily:

Back in 1986 what do you think the Soviet Union encased the Chernobyl nuke reactor in after it melted down? That's right concrete. The concrete tomb they constructed has a 30 year life span; 2016 it's kaput.

After the reactor crumbled, the Soviet Union crumbled.

So Chernobyl is back in the Ukraine, and now they need 1.4 billion dollars to construct a new steel containment dome with a 100 year life span. Of course Western European countries have to foot the bill, after all they're the ones who are going to be breathing the fallout again if they don't:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6999140.stm

wmurpht likes this

Back in 1986 what do you think the Soviet Union encased the Chernobyl nuke reactor in after it melted down? That's right concrete.

True, below a certain temperature the reaction will stop and the concrete will retain its chemical properties, as in the case when this was done at Chernobyl.

Back to some humor:

A guy designs a heavy-water moderated reactor using natural-enrichment fuel, and takes it to the NRC to get it approved. The NRC shakes its head, saying, "No CANDU."

True, below a certain temperature the reaction will stop and the concrete will retain its chemical properties, as in the case when this was done at Chernobyl.

Back to some humor:

A guy designs a heavy-water moderated reactor using natural-enrichment fuel, and takes it to the NRC to get it approved. The NRC shakes its head, saying, "No CANDU."

I get it! haha!

Phoenix, has the most peculiar apparatus. Ladder tenders?

This converted concrete pumper is being used in Japan on the nuclear reactor.

China’s Sany hopes to change that situation...they have redirected a $1 million industrial pumper truck from a Saudi client to the nation of Japan in order to help save Fukushima reactor number four, according to China Realtime Report, a Wall Street Journal blog.

Article

Phoenix doesn't use them for fire attack per se. Phoenix has had a major population influx and the resulting building boom has been with nothing but wood trusses. Combine that with the fact that Phoenix is in a desert where water is scarce, and I would conclude that they "build a lot of parking lots" as the saying goes. What's a parking unless it's paved and striped?

OR

Brunacini probably came up with the theory that concrete is actually a good ABCD extinguishing agent. Encase anything in concrete, even nukes, and it will not burn. There's no need for overhaul, either. The only complaint he got is from the Cause and origin team.

Remember, I said this before the Japanese earthquake, and the China Syndrome fans out there started shooting holes in the "cover it with concrete" statement. Look what Japan is doing. You can put your KI pills back in the medicine cabinet. I suggest you eat seafood instead to get your thyroid saturated with Iodine....Sushi,perhaps.

Jeez, you'd think you would check your own website before posting things like this:

Priceless! B)