Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Seagrave Aerialscope Awarded FDNY Tower Ladder Contract

17 posts in this topic

Per Seagrave's Facebook page:

Seagrave Fire Apparatus

has received an order for fifteen (15) 95-foot Aerialscopes from the New York City Fire Department (FDNY). Seagrave is proud of doing business with FDNY for more than 100 years and looks forward to continuing to serve the citizens of New York.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeagraveFire

Per Seagrave's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeagraveFire

Good news for Seagrave. I wondered if Ferrara could pull off that radical a change in their aerials. My understanding is that the FDNY spec requires the waterway be either protected or not on the underside to ensure it won't be damaged on parapets. I'm sure there are other FDNY specifics, but that seems to be a big one compared to all others except Sutphen.

Good to see FDNY is sticking with what has proven to be THE BEST aerial platform. No one else even comes close.

JBJ1202 and sfrd18 like this

Who else besides Seagrave Aerialscope even makes a true Tower Ladder? Most "Tower Ladders" we see in service are "Ladder Towers" and there's no way that design could withstand the rigors the FDNY puts their TL's through.

bad box likes this

Anyone know of any update on the tiller order by FDNY? I had heard a while back that they were putting them out to bid but have not heard anything since.

Who else besides Seagrave Aerialscope even makes a true Tower Ladder? Most "Tower Ladders" we see in service are "Ladder Towers" and there's no way that design could withstand the rigors the FDNY puts their TL's through.

If you exclude wild rigs like Bronto Skylifts and such, I believe that Sutphen is the only other make of a true TOWER LADDER. I'd bet that the spec all but excludes anyone else simply based on the fact that Seagrave owns Aerialscope and that's all the city really wants. Truth be told, while the Aerialscope platform is fantastic, I'm sure that many who work in companys with a a TL and in the shops would rather see another rig under that boom. The 2006ish order of 75' TLs and 95' TLs was terrible. A lot of those rigs have spent more time O.O.S. than in. Many gremlins effected their operation.

Edited by M' Ave
antiquefirelt and x635 like this

Seagrave engineers have been working to improve the Aerialscope ever since they aqquired them. In 2011, we have the new "Aerialscope II", which includes many upgrades to all systems and many newly reengineered propriatary parts. They have also improved on any flaws they found in the last delivery.

I think another benefit of the Aerialscope is the jacking and outrigger systems, which are perfect for NYC streets.

Aerialscopes have been serving NYC since the 1960's. They have proven reliability, FDNY mechanics and firefighters are very familiar with them, etc. Anybody can build a tower ladder, but no one can build an Aerialscope.

I wonder if Ferrara will try to develop their "own" version of the Aerialscope without violating any patents that exist. I've heard that they are going to start building tillers soon.

M' Ave and efdcapt115 like this

Ferrara's aerials are not made by them. All of thier aerials are made by Smeal. I doubt you see Ferrara going into the aerial manufacturing market anytime soon.

The Aerialscope has served the F.D.N.Y. well for many years. It's only a shame that they have a Seagrave rig rather than a Mack CF to attach it to. There is nothing out there that compares to the Mack CF's we used to have ... they were work horses that couldn't be killed.

E106MKFD and efdcapt115 like this

Seagrave engineers have been working to improve the Aerialscope ever since they aqquired them. In 2011, we have the new "Aerialscope II", which includes many upgrades to all systems and many newly reengineered propriatary parts. They have also improved on any flaws they found in the last delivery.

I think another benefit of the Aerialscope is the jacking and outrigger systems, which are perfect for NYC streets.

The first of the most recent 75' TL order was rejected by FDNY. It may have included some of the "Aerialscope II" features. I'm not sure what they call the newest rendition that the city will be receiving. Time will tell!

As for the jacking system, true! You can't beat it. It's a crane, leaving the rigs suspension completely out of the equation. Having only two outriggers that extend width wise, instead of a more typical 4, makes set-up on tight blocks a bit easier.

Sutphen doesn't have a chance at the TL order unless they can come in remarkably cheaper and take no other exceptions. 1,000lb tip load while flowing water was and probably still is part of the bid spec.

As for the jacking system, true! You can't beat it. It's a crane, leaving the rigs suspension completely out of the equation. Having only two outriggers that extend width wise, instead of a more typical 4, makes set-up on tight blocks a bit easier.

Actually while I'm a Scope fan at heart, I can't help but admire the E-One jacking system. On the midmount they too have only two "outriggers" just below the turntable, but instead of radial movement they come out at a low angle and end with a narrower stance. The other four down jacks are just that, lifting the unit completely off the suspension. Add in the "zero failure" rate for their aerials and it's a hard thing to beat. On the other side though, E-One is not all that excited to do anything outside their comfort zone. Maybe for a huge contract, but with the added headaches FDNY puts into (which I think are justified) few companies will ever truly try.

Ferrara's aerials are not made by them. All of thier aerials are made by Smeal. I doubt you see Ferrara going into the aerial manufacturing market anytime soon.

It may have been rumor and I know nothing came of it if it wasn't, but I believe Ferrara and FDNY reps were seen touring the LTI plant in Ephrata, PA last year. My understanding was the FDNY contract demands sole source on major components? So Ferrara would have to have something up their sleeve or take a huge exception.

Actually while I'm a Scope fan at heart, I can't help but admire the E-One jacking system. On the midmount they too have only two "outriggers" just below the turntable, but instead of radial movement they come out at a low angle and end with a narrower stance. The other four down jacks are just that, lifting the unit completely off the suspension. Add in the "zero failure" rate for their aerials and it's a hard thing to beat. On the other side though, E-One is not all that excited to do anything outside their comfort zone. Maybe for a huge contract, but with the added headaches FDNY puts into (which I think are justified) few companies will ever truly try.

I am a BIG E-One fan! LOVE thier ladders, aspecially the mid-mounts!

x635 likes this

It may have been rumor and I know nothing came of it if it wasn't, but I believe Ferrara and FDNY reps were seen touring the LTI plant in Ephrata, PA last year. My understanding was the FDNY contract demands sole source on major components? So Ferrara would have to have something up their sleeve or take a huge exception.

Well the way they get around it is that though the ladders are built by Smeal at their plan and are engineered by Smeal's engineers, they are actually a separate specification outlined by Ferrara (hence the 77', 107' jobs). Its pretty much the same thing like Pierce, their aerial manufacturing is done else where but the company is owned by Oshkosh and built to Pierce's specifications (whihc ironically is also technically a Smeal design. Smeal did Pierce's aerials in the Pierce factory for years before they ended their relationship in the mid-1990s).

Crimson has moved into the old LTI facility

Ahhhhhh the Mack CF Engines and Mack Tower Ladder Aerialscopes

of the FDNY. The BEST of the BEST!