Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Cruise Ship firefighting

16 posts in this topic

Last week I was lucky enough to sail aboard Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas. Oasis of the Seas is one of Royal Caribbean's newest, and largest ships, with a displacement similar to a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. Our first stop was Labadee, Haiti, and while having breakfast we heard over the ship's intercom "Firefighting crews to Deck 7 Forward, no special equipment for training." I finished breakfast and then my family and I went to the forward observation deck to look at Labadee. We got to watch the helicopter take off, followed by a nice surprise, some of the ship's firefighters drilling in stretching lines, and flowing foam. The look on my wife's face was priceless, she swears I could find a firehouse or fire truck anywhere I go.

Here is Oasis of the Seas on the pier at Labadee

.post-917-0-55215300-1299254011.jpg

The helicopter while deaprting Ft. Lauderdale.

post-917-0-94793200-1299254064.jpg

Helicopter flying off the ship in Labadee. Note that the railings , and forward navigation light tower are folded down.

post-917-0-21045700-1299254193.jpg

Edited by grumpyff
firefighter59 and BFD1054 like this

crew of three exit the hatch onto the deck

post-917-0-55062800-1299254415.jpg

Maintaining closeness of the nozzles.

post-917-0-24900300-1299254469.jpg

starting the foam

post-917-0-23064100-1299254520.jpg

Foam really flowing now

post-917-0-41199600-1299254594.jpg

post-917-0-01570900-1299254633.jpg

bouncing the foam off the deck

post-917-0-76382000-1299254665.jpg

Would would hope the ship's brigade wouild be able to supress a fire cause I don't see alot of assests coming to their aid in some of these ports.

Very cool photos! I assume the whole ship is standpipe'd. Do you know if they use sea water or use a supply of freshwater?

Nice shots grumpy, thanks for sharing them. Isn't "Oasis" one of the two largest cruise ships in the world? And don't they call the Port of Miami their home base? You should have e-mailed me, we could have gotten together for a margarita!

The ship is bigger than some of its port of call.

Oasis, and its sister Allure of the Seas are the current largest cruise ship afloat. The can sail with 5400 passengers (at double occupancy although some cabins can hold 3 to 4 people to a maiximum of 6296 ) and a crew of 2165 from 65 different countries.

Unsure, where fire protection water comes from, but there are standpipes all over the ship.

EFD, maybe next time on the margarita :rolleyes:. we flew to Miami, and left from Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by grumpyff

Having never been on the Oasis of the Seas, I will not say for sure where there firefighting water comes from. But, in general, shipboard firefighting water is just sea water. The standpipes are connected to a fire main(s) that loops around the ship and has multiple valves and fire pumps that allow for isolation of parts of the system in case of damage.

The ship can make its own fresh water with the desalinators, but that water is reserved for potable (cooking, drinking, bathing) and cooling (gear and spaces).

Or, at least that is what Uncle Sam taught me.

Be Safe,

JR

I've been on the Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas and watch while they performed a drill. It is really neat to watch how they operate for a ship-board fire. A lot of fire prevention is really the key. I did get to speak with the some of the brigade members and even the captain while I was on the cruise. For that ship and I know also for our military, they utilize the salt water for firefighting. I don't remember though how the fire pumps get the water if it is drafted from the undersides or of the bow or stern.

When I spoke to the brigade members they said they always train and actually love to have the visitors watch them drill as it gives a good sense of security. One of the brigade members jokingly asked if they could knock on my door if they needed help!!

I've been on the Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas and watch while they performed a drill. It is really neat to watch how they operate for a ship-board fire. A lot of fire prevention is really the key. I did get to speak with the some of the brigade members and even the captain while I was on the cruise. For that ship and I know also for our military, they utilize the salt water for firefighting. I don't remember though how the fire pumps get the water if it is drafted from the undersides or of the bow or stern.

When I spoke to the brigade members they said they always train and actually love to have the visitors watch them drill as it gives a good sense of security. One of the brigade members jokingly asked if they could knock on my door if they needed help!!

Well did you say "yes"??? :D :D

Well did you say "yes"??? :D :D

Well with the amount I had to drink on the cruise, I only would have been good for the "tanker shuttle"!!! LOL

the water to the pumps are supplied by a "sea chest" a large opening that is capped off under the water line usually going through the hull in an engineering space. typically there are several pumps and the bilge systems and also be crossed linked with the fire pumps. this is to make stabilizing the ships easier and a faster evolution. but flowing water on deck is alot different then flowing water below deck stability is key and necessary to maintain, so there are alot of fire extinguishers.

"Mark Z, the last post of this topic is over 90 days and a new post will now be considered as flood!"

What does this mean?

BTW, I'm just about to leave for a cruise next week, so this was good timing!

Edited by Mark Z

Mark, this is a new feature put in place to bring to attention/remind people that they are about to post in a thread that is "dead"/old. Some people like to go in and post comments in old thread for reasons unknown, sometimes just to comment and build up post counts. This by no means should discourage someone from posting that really has something to contribute to a topic.

Just because a thread is old and you get that message, please don't feel the need to start a new thread if it already exists, if it is appropriate!

Mark, this is a new feature put in place to bring to attention/remind people that they are about to post in a thread that is "dead"/old. Some people like to go in and post comments in old thread for reasons unknown, sometimes just to comment and build up post counts. This by no means should discourage someone from posting that really has something to contribute to a topic.

Just because a thread is old and you get that message, please don't feel the need to start a new thread if it already exists, if it is appropriate!

Thanks! As I said i am going on a cruise 10/21 and will see if i can get any pics to update the thread!smile.gif