Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Hartsdale's Former Ward Lafrance Engine 171

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the fate of Hartsdale's Engine 171, a 1976 Ward LaFrance with a 1986 Ranger refurb, which served as Engine 169 before becoming a spare. It was replaced with Engine 170, a 2000 Pierce Dash, which was replaced by a 2008 Spartan/4 Guys.

I saw it recently sitting in a construction company yard on the Bronx/Mt Vernon border. Up near the Dyre Ave subway station. Unfortunately I did not have my camera. The next time I am in the area I will make a point to try to get some pictures of it.

I remember hearing it was to be donated to some country over seas, but that was 2 years ago

Try this link it is sitting in a yard. The link is for Google Earth

"Former Fire Engine" lat=40.890574819, lon=-73.8279237325

Here are a couple of photos I took yesterday morning. It sits far back in the yard along a fence. There was no one around to ask to get into the yard, so I shot through the gate, and over the fence standing on a wire reel.

post-917-0-21875500-1300740426.jpg

post-917-0-28706300-1300740470.jpg

Its just sad to see a perfectly usable engine sitting in a construction yard,of all places ,rotting away. It can be donated to a department that can put it to good use.

That is really, really sad. I know the truck had quite a few mechnical and pump issues, but nothing that couldn't be repaired with some TLC. I wonder what the construction company plans to do with it. Did you happen to catch a name of the company?

I inquired about buying the truck from their 4-Guys dealer, which had it advertised on the site. I never got a response. Hartsdale never put it out to bid, to my knowledge. Do they even have to put it out to bid? It's coincidental that it is in Mount Vernon, especially since there are several guys from Mount Vernon who transferred to Hartsdale, including one who is the department mechanic. I'd be sad if this Engine went to Brookfield.

Thanks for the photos!

I remember hearing something about being donated to Albania but thats just rumors.