Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

Spy Shot- New Rochelle Smeal Engine

64 posts in this topic

Looks very well thoughtout and planned. Hope NRFD has good luck with the new engine.

When the crew went out to look over ther truck, did they get to go out back and check out the steam tractor collection? I though that was great to see all those old tractors there keeping history alive.

PS, Barry, I'll let you drive my Smeal if you let me drive yours!!! :)

PS, Barry, I'll let you drive my Smeal if you let me drive yours!!! :)

He only let's his wife "drive" his "Smeal" !!!!! blink.gif

I like everything about it! Looks like it was designed with the firefighter and apparatus operator in mind, and to be extremly functional.

The pump panel. Nice, simple, clean. Low hosebeds. Plenty of space. Very accesible pump maintaience doors. Great wheelbase. Full depth compartments on both sides. I don't know what the suprise it on the top of the roof...light tower?

Can't wait to see more. Great job Barry and team!

It looks good. But I just can't figure out what the two "U" shaped hooks are on the rear. They look like they could swivel out.

He only let's his wife "drive" his "Smeal" !!!!! blink.gif

You mean she only allows me to let her drive it.

I heard it's a small not a Smeal !

Thats just not right.

I like everything about it!

If you are following the above thread, Thanks, but you have never seen it.

Now who wants to talk about the fire truck?

PCFD ENG58 and x635 like this

I don't know what the suprise it on the top of the roof...light tower?

Nope, just a removable storage box for future needs. Similar to the FDNY Squads.

But I just can't figure out what the two "U" shaped hooks are on the rear. They look like they could swivel out.

They do swivel out.

They are called I-Zone Hooks (interface zone hooks). They were a west coast design used when you have a couple hundreed feet of attack hose out and need to move the rig a couple 100 yards to hit the next fire or protect the next exposure and you do not want to repack the hose, you van just throw a few loops over the hooks (like your garden hose) and go. We thought it was a good idea when on I-95, it would be faster to get off the road and repack it in a safer loacation. Also good in bad weather or if the hose was muddy and we didn't want it in the bed.

A number of different variations are out there:

post-4072-0-17838900-1306438914.jpg

post-4072-0-20219800-1306439169.jpg

post-4072-0-48646700-1306439190.jpg

post-4072-0-74069000-1306439266.jpg

Edited by Bnechis
x635, efermann, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

So it is going to 21's. Nice rig! Best of luck to the NRFD with it!

Bad a** rig Barry. Love the low hose bed im sure its appreciated by those vertically challenged nozzle men. I guess the yellow on the rear is required,couldn't been left white?

Bad a** rig Barry. Love the low hose bed im sure its appreciated by those vertically challenged nozzle men. I guess the yellow on the rear is required,couldn't been left white?

Thanks. Everyone asked for a low hose bed. I do not know if everyone will like it or not, time will tell. Yes the yellow/red chevrons are required by NFPA and all the apparatus builders will not sell without them (unless you sign a liability waiver, which is not worth the risk).

They do swivel out.

They are called I-Zone Hooks (interface zone hooks). ....

That's slick. Thanks for the clarification.

I love the low hose bed

Edited by Newtofire

Yes, its still not going to New Rochelle

I see that New Rochelle is trying to do get another engine in a similar way to the way that they got ladder 13.

I see that New Rochelle is trying to do get another engine in a similar way to the way that they got ladder 13.

Care to explain this?

The current Ladder 13 was purchased after the previous L-13 collapsed. A financial deal was made with Pierce to buy the crushed unit as if it was in perfect condition.

I am not aware of any engines that have collapsed in NRFD.

Maybe I missed it, but how much water does it carry ?

500 gal (same as all of our engines)

Care to explain this?

The current Ladder 13 was purchased after the previous L-13 collapsed. A financial deal was made with Pierce to buy the crushed unit as if it was in perfect condition.

I am not aware of any engines that have collapsed in NRFD.

I meant that the current ladder 13 was originally built for another department.

Yes, its still not going to New Rochelle

not even for a good price?

I can't wait to see it nice rig

I meant that the current ladder 13 was originally built for another department.

It was originally built for the City Of Newburgh.

dont you think the short, low hose bed is the problem? if it were long then it wouldnt be stacked so high for equal amount of hose. that short of a hose bed is gonna have ALOT of folds.

We've had both kinds and i personally like the short be a lot better. The long folds just get caught on everything wen you stretch because they drag so far behind. I don't think we even have any long beds left even as spares.

It's good to see Smeal can actually build something with a low hosebed...most places forget about the importance of being able to access the stuff that is the reason for the apparatus existence! Being from Nebraska, we see a lot of Smeal...but they tend to downplay the importance of a low hosebed in favor of compartment space. I look forward to seeing the pics of the finished product!

This isn't the only low hosebed truck that Smeal has sold out on the East Coast. Check out recent deliveries to White Plains & Yonkers (White Plains built on Freightliner chassis & Yonkers are built on Spartan chassis) :D

When will the New Engine Company # 21 Rig go into Service?

When will the New Engine Company # 21 Rig go into Service?

When its done. 2-4 weeks

When its done. 2-4 weeks

So, the week of either the 11th or 18th of Mid-July?

So, the week of either the 11th or 18th of Mid-July?

yes

It will be pretty awesome to see it in service at HQ. By the way, is the old 21's going to be a spare, i.e., Engine 17 or 19?