Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

H E L P! Dell External Hard Drive Problem

10 posts in this topic

Soooooo-

I just got a new Dell Dimension 570. Have a SimpleDrive external hard drive. Plugged it into a USB port in the back of the tower and it works. Now today, wake the computer up from sleep and hard drive seems to have corrupted. Hard drive is stil under warranty.

But......

Put the hard drive in a USB port in the front of the computer, and it works. Whats going on?

Soooooo-

I just got a new Dell Dimension 570. Have a SimpleDrive external hard drive. Plugged it into a USB port in the back of the tower and it works. Now today, wake the computer up from sleep and hard drive seems to have corrupted. Hard drive is stil under warranty.

But......

Put the hard drive in a USB port in the front of the computer, and it works. Whats going on?

The problem I think you have is you bought a Dell !!! I will never buy anything but a MAC from now on.

I agree Buy a Mac and you'll never look back!

It's a plug and play device. What happened is that the drive was not detected upon the computer's start up since you had it set up for your other computer. With the laptop, you need to "eject" the external drive.

So, with the drive unplugged, reboot your laptop from a cold start. After Windows loads up, replug in the USB cable into the laptop. It should be detected once again. When your done, go to your hardware icon by the clock in the start bar and do your "safely remove hardware" process.

My Dell hard drive has been corrupted since Day 1. It blue screens once a day. Sent me another hard drive, same problem. Getting the proper help is nearly impossible. It takes hours, mostly because they all follow the standard script and have no real ideas about computers. They keep trying to tell me to reinstall the operating system, like that is an easy task. It took me three days to move all my programs and files over from my old comupter to my new computer. They have the most difficult to use website, and bulky, complicated, and out of date. I truly hate them, yet I hope more people buy Dell since their World Headquarters is located here, and it helps keep my taxes low and their philathropy to the local economy is awesome.

I also have issues with USB, remote port's wont work with my cameras for some reason, they have to be plugged into the front of the computer.

I had the same problem. I would have to leave the external hard drive unplugged until the dell would be up and the plug the drive in. Now I have a old MAC and all is good.

I have a Western Digital external hard drive, and if I leave it plug into the computer while the computer when it boots up, the computer runs the external hard drive. For some reason it will not run the programming in the computers hard drive so it freezes and locks up. I can only plug it in after the computer is up and running. Dell sucks, I will never buy one of their pieces of crap again. Worst customer service ever.

I had the same problem. I would have to leave the external hard drive unplugged until the dell would be up and the plug the drive in. Now I have a old MAC and all is good.

I have a Western Digital external hard drive, and if I leave it plug into the computer while the computer when it boots up, the computer runs the external hard drive. For some reason it will not run the programming in the computers hard drive so it freezes and locks up. I can only plug it in after the computer is up and running. Dell sucks, I will never buy one of their pieces of crap again. Worst customer service ever.

This is a problem in your bios. You have USB listed in your bios as a bootable option before hard drive. You need to go into your bios and change your boot order so that USB is after your hard drive.

grumpyff likes this

I also have issues with USB, remote port's wont work with my cameras for some reason, they have to be plugged into the front of the computer.

What do you mean by "remote ports"? Are you talking about a hub?

Soooooo-

But......

Sounds like maybe something isnt setup with your hibernation settings. I was having that issue with my internal drives not waking up from hibernation. Something weird in Windows 7. It seems to be a fairly common problem. Some tweaks in the sleep/hibernation settings and it was fixed. Maybe something along those lines such as USB ports losing power during sleep.