Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheBuff376

Sleepy Hollow firefighter charged with arson

28 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com...s|img|Frontpage

SLEEPY HOLLOW — A volunteer village firefighter is accused of intentionally setting a fire moments before he joined his colleagues in fighting the blaze, which left 19 people homeless.

Trent Bronner, the department's most active firefighter, was arrested Wednesday on a felony arson charge — an allegation made more shocking because he posted photos of the March 20 fire on his Facebook page.

Thanks a lot you j%$#. Way to influence the public's opinion on all firefighters.

Its always something with that department. Kid touching in the fire house, Gas down the drain, Fighting at fire scenes,current assistant chief who is a convicted felon and now an arsonist. When will it stop there? Its a sad day for the fire service and another black eye for it given by Sleepy Hollow FD again!!

This is a truly sad situation if the allegations turn out to be true. In my view, this kind of incident should change how we handle recruitment/ new membership to a point. Is the new guy who is interested in the department a little over eager? Does he seem like the kind of person who, once he realizes that there is a lot of "downtime" in the volunteer fire service (at least in my personal experience)will create a threat/ liability to himself, the department, and/or the public through this kind of incident or something similar? Just something I think we should be considering. Obviously, as it seems with the accused firefighter in this case, it isn't alway apparent, but there can be clues. Maybe it is something that we can start to keep an eye on and be aware of.

Just my 2cents

This is a truly sad situation if the allegations turn out to be true. In my view, this kind of incident should change how we handle recruitment/ new membership to a point. Is the new guy who is interested in the department a little over eager? Does he seem like the kind of person who, once he realizes that there is a lot of "downtime" in the volunteer fire service (at least in my personal experience)will create a threat/ liability to himself, the department, and/or the public through this kind of incident or something similar? Just something I think we should be considering. Obviously, as it seems with the accused firefighter in this case, it isn't alway apparent, but there can be clues. Maybe it is something that we can start to keep an eye on and be aware of. Just my 2cents

The problem is that most depts are hurting for "bodies" and if someone comes along thats a "little over eager" and is available more than anyone else, they are going to grab them. I'm not saying depts would willingly take a risk, but many depts primary consideration in recruitment is: "do they have a pulse?".

It does seem like Sleepy Hollow PD, FD, and EMS are always in the news for the wrong reasons. It's really sad, because it overshadows all the good things about Sleepy Hollow.

Now, they are saying he's responsible for more fires:

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110429/NEWS02/104290344/Sources-say-firefighter-arson-suspect-facing-more-charges?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Who knows, it's still innocent until proven guilty in the country last I heard. And it's not the first time Sleepy Hollow has tried to demonize the fire department.

The problem is that most depts are hurting for "bodies" and if someone comes along thats a "little over eager" and is available more than anyone else, they are going to grab them. I'm not saying depts would willingly take a risk, but many depts primary consideration in recruitment is: "do they have a pulse?".

Read the article on lohud about the FBI profile for FF arsonists and tell me there is not someone that fits that profile in every department...

Additionally, the article on FF arsonists in Lower Hudson Valley left off what I though was a rather glaring example from a few years ago...

Monty likes this

The discussion board should be shut down. No good can come from it!

Edited by mymack1

If you keep things on the subject we can have a great conversation about this. Should there be a more extensive back ground check on perspective members?? is there a way to channel energetic individuals?

What was your intention with this post? Based on your posts, you're most likely a Sleepy Hollow member. Do you want this swept under the rug? I understand you probaly are one of the many who don't like the negative publicity, but this doesn't really refelect on the department, more on the individual.

The department took what I thought was an knee jerk move, removing his name from the "Top 2010 Responders" list. The #1 responder is missing. Why not offer a short statement. He was a valued member of the department, and there was no indication of this.

As mentioned, it's innocent until proven guilty in the USA, He obviously was an well regarded member of the department, and an enthusiastic one. That doesn't neccarily make him an arsonist. There may be evidence, and if he is found guilty, then there's a huge issue with putting his fellow firefighters and citizens in danger.

I reviewed his Facebook page, and saw all the people who immediatelty unfrieneded him from SHFD. He seemed to be really into himself, that's just based on my impression of the photos.

To the dedicated, loyal members of Sleepy Hollow FD. You have a lot of dedicated, loyal members with a lot of experience and heritage. This is focusing on one individual, and doesn't neccarily reflect bad on the department, based on how the department chooses to respond. As I have in the past, I truly urge you to go the extra mile to do background checks, criminal history checks, psych exams, etc etc....if only at the minimum to cover your butts when stuff like this happens. I imagine you guys are shocked and feel like you were taken for a ride.

Sleepy Hollow FD, you've been dragged through the mud so many times and betrayed by your members so many times....keep your heads up! You have a lot to be proud of. Just take this as a lesson.

I beg to differ. This can and should be discussed; when you consider the discussion in the thread about background checks for prospective members and this one, chiefs and commissioners and others may realize it is imperative that they create or dust-off their application procedures and make sure they are protecting themselves, their agencies, and the public.

Regardless of the outcome in this particular case, there will be some people who reflect on this and make changes that improve their agencies. That's not a bad thing.

batt2 likes this

Forgive me if this post posts twice. I typed away, hit add reply, and it all disappeared. Annoying.

Anyway, I need to say a few things:

1. We are ALL buffs. It's part of why we all do what we do. We love the thrill, we love helping, we love a pat on the head if and when it happens.

2. If we were not buffs, we would, at the very least, suck at what we do. At worst, we would hurt or kill people with our ineptness (is that even a word?).

3. There is absolutely NO screening tool to differentiate between just the typical buff and the closet EDP who is going to start fires just to be the hero who puts it out and saves lives, or the nurse who is gonna slip a little extra K into an IV just to be the hero who resuscitates that patient.

3.5... If 90% of us in EMS, police, fire or in-hospital care were subjected to comprehensive psych evaluations as a condition of employment, we'd ALL BE WORKING AT McD's instead. Don't throw stones when you, too live in a glass house.

4. If you never met this young man, you can't understand the collective confusion and sadness that has blanketed his community. He was always energetic, enthusiastic, respectful toward staff and empathetic toward patients he brought into the local ER. A lohud article and facebook page do not give you the right to judge this young man's character or level of obvious mental illness.

5. Sleepy Hollow FD and VAC: hold your heads high and know that those who actually know you and work alongside you still respect you.

Tapout

I beg to differ. This can and should be discussed; when you consider the discussion in the thread about background checks for prospective members and this one, chiefs and commissioners and others may realize it is imperative that they create or dust-off their application procedures and make sure they are protecting themselves, their agencies, and the public.

Regardless of the outcome in this particular case, there will be some people who reflect on this and make changes that improve their agencies. That's not a bad thing.

I read the previous poster's comment as referring to the... shall we say, undisciplined... discussion board on the *LoHud* site. It could certainly benefit from some adult supervision.

At worst, it's an ambiguous comment and we should refrain from attack until the PP clarifies whether he/she referred to LoHud or EMTBravo.

Mike

Its always something with that department. Kid touching in the fire house, Gas down the drain, Fighting at fire scenes,current assistant chief who is a convicted felon and now an arsonist. When will it stop there? Its a sad day for the fire service and another black eye for it given by Sleepy Hollow FD again!!

The "black eye" was not given by the fire department. Don't label a whole department solely on the actions of a few. SHFD is a fine organization. Let's also remember that in this country people are innocent untill proven guilty.

Your comment is foolish, asinine, moronic, and not very thought out. To blame a Department for giving the black eye instead of the individual. That eye has been beaten by so many people over the history of the fire service it is never going away. Who ever blames the Department should look into there own closet and examine there skeletons before blaming the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department for this. I am sure you all have a few things that are in there that never made the news or bought to the attention of the police.

Yes I am a member of Sleepy Hollow Fire Department. Trent if you meet him before this incident was very active here; you never expected this from him. But he has been accused of committing the most heinous crime a firefighter can commit do I feel hurt and betrayed. Yes I do. Do I stand by my Department of course I do and will always. I am proud of my Chiefs and Officers and fellow Firefighters who help keep Sleepy Hollow safe.

Member of Sleepy Hollow Fire Department and Damn Proud of it!!!!

Read the article on lohud about the FBI profile for FF arsonists and tell me there is not someone that fits that profile in every department...

Additionally, the article on FF arsonists in Lower Hudson Valley left off what I though was a rather glaring example from a few years ago...

heres the page which your talking about.....

LoHud

Here is a question about backround checks and Chris you may be able to answer this better than anyone. Were required to do an arson check on every new member that joins which we do. Nothing ever comes back on the junior members because if they did anything as a minor its most likely sealed, so I guess the question is #1 can we find obtain infromation any other way and #2 if we do find something out and they were a juvenile can you use it against them ?

TheBuff376 likes this

Here is a question about backround checks and Chris you may be able to answer this better than anyone. Were required to do an arson check on every new member that joins which we do. Nothing ever comes back on the junior members because if they did anything as a minor its most likely sealed, so I guess the question is #1 can we find obtain infromation any other way and #2 if we do find something out and they were a juvenile can you use it TO PROTECT US?

Fixed for you. ;)

Edited by Bullseye

Here is a question about backround checks and Chris you may be able to answer this better than anyone. Were required to do an arson check on every new member that joins which we do. Nothing ever comes back on the junior members because if they did anything as a minor its most likely sealed, so I guess the question is #1 can we find obtain infromation any other way and #2 if we do find something out and they were a juvenile can you use it against them ?

I should damn well hope 'sealed' means only against casual inquiry. If it's a sensitive/trusted position - such as firefighter, cop, CIA, NSA etc. etc. - nothing is (or certainly nothing should be) sealed; a background check for such positions will get everything.

Mike

Edited by abaduck

In NYS a juvenile's records are in fact sealed. The only way that someone can get access to them is through a Court Order from a Judge and that many times is even difficault. You would not have access to that through a FD background check. However, I do know that certain Federal law enforcement agencies can get access through various means for certain applicants for certain federal jobs.

Former volunteer firefighter sentenced for setting fires

WHITE PLAINS – A Sleepy Hollow man, who was a former local firefighter, was sentenced in Westchester County Court on Monday to 10 years in state prison for setting two fires in the community.

Trent Bronner, 24, of 126 Valley Street in Sleepy Hollow, pled guilty in May to three felony counts of arson.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2013/July/10/Bronner_sen-10Jul13.html

10 years so little time for the crime, I hope he has to pay restitution also.

The Fire Co. can only get an arson check. However the fire district as an "employer" can get a more thorough "background" check for thinks other than arson. Our board of commissioners have just instituted this policy. the company will do a background check ( arson, call references etc) after this is completed we submit to the board and they will dig a little further into that persons history. The only problem we have found so far is it takes a little longer to get somebody in the company (3-4 months) instead of 2 months. We feel the trade off is worth the extra time to possibly find problems before the start.

The Fire Co. can only get an arson check. However the fire district as an "employer" can get a more thorough "background" check for thinks other than arson. Our board of commissioners have just instituted this policy. the company will do a background check ( arson, call references etc) after this is completed we submit to the board and they will dig a little further into that persons history. The only problem we have found so far is it takes a little longer to get somebody in the company (3-4 months) instead of 2 months. We feel the trade off is worth the extra time to possibly find problems before the start.

Your local PD won't run a background?

When I joined up almost 40 years ago, the physical amounted to 'turn your head and cough'. Today its a full on physical less x-rays. Things have progressed in a positive way.

Maybe there could be a simple, yet probing, multiple choice type personality profile questionnaire that would provide some insight into the person and which outcome could be scored against known arsonists to give some idea of the persons propensity to commit an arson crime. If, of course, it doesn't violate someone's rights or some other politically correct nonsense.

Maybe the fire service could get Dr. Neil Clark Warren to work up a profile to use.

Your local PD won't run a background?

No, arson only. sometime we will get a wink that we might want to think before we accept this application, but nothing formal. we have taken a few ove the last few years that probably should not have been allowed in. eventually we find out and handle then...better to find out ahead of time though.

In this day and age,no formal requirment,for a full background check,is absurd.So,let's open our doors to anyone,allow them to drive 500K rigs or enter someone's home not having a clue who they are.. What's to stop some low-life pedofile from another state or town from joining the FD? This is something that is long overdue and some politician with a brain and conscious should push for this... To work at Wal Mart or Home Depot you need a full background check,but not to join an FD? We sure do have our priorities wrong! Not that it would have a difference in the Sleepy Hollow case.....

JetPhoto likes this

We do a very thorough background on new employees now. Takes a couple months. We dig deep, go see all their former employers, etc.