Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
texastom791

Carmel Ambulance EMS Bikes

19 posts in this topic

Just back from getting decals on them the other day are 4 bikes various sizes outfitted with ems jump bags to be used at large scale ems stand-bys and for patrol on the stretch of bike path that we cover. They are numbered 31-9-6 31-9-7 31-9-8 and 31-9-9.

post-6811-0-93332800-1304462431.jpg

post-6811-0-82968100-1304462440.jpg

post-6811-0-58258300-1304462450.jpg

post-6811-0-19890100-1304462463.jpg

post-6811-0-55379600-1304462483.jpg

post-6811-0-85076900-1304462503.jpg

post-6811-0-50684600-1304462516.jpg

post-6811-0-70748900-1304462525.jpg

Edited by texastom791

Nice Tom......I can just see you and your Dad tooling down the bike bath on them.....

You actually have to take a class to be "certified" on the bikes apparently they're gonna make you ride 15 miles and only the emts can ride them. And if you're on duty you can't take them out.

Yes Thomas there is a certification course which is 4-5 days long. The class teaches you techniques and skills which are vital and teach you how to actually ride. I hope they send a bunch of you guys because the department could be putting themselves in a "liability" issue if anyone operates without the proper traning.

They were talking about possibly having the sheriffs office come over and give a class since they also have a bike program.

lol really bikes. you guys could of bought a gator n put a backboard on it.

The fd already has a polaris ranger that is outfitted with medical equipment. The main purpose of the bikes is to provide patient care if you were to come across an incident on the bike path they would not be part of a normal bike path response.

Edited by texastom791

Who numbered these things??? 31-9-whatever.... that 9 means officer other than chief... if anything they should be 31-8-whatever... but I agree.. really? bikes?

What's with the "100% volunteer" lettering? What is the purpose? Should paid departments put "100% paid" on the side of their vehicles?

I know some people think EMS bikes are a strange thing to buy. However they can be quite useful in woods/rural situations and are not useless to have if/when you need them. One example - Someone should take these and do BIKE NY each year. People fall and get injured during the event every year. A few years back a guy even went into cardiac arrest on the Queensboro Br. Imagine how great it would be to have EMT's cycling through the event just in case things like this happen again...

Articles:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-05-05/local/17897486_1_fdny-james-hamilton-emergency-medical-service-technicians

http://www.mountsinai.org/patient-care/service-areas/heart/patient-stories/cyclist-overcomes-cardiac-arrest-thanks-to-good-samaritans-and-mount-sinai-heart

passerby's video:

(note: this is not my video. Skip to 2:37 mark to see good Samaritans giving CPR to Jim)

Edited by psyanide

They were numbered that why because we only use 31-11 31-12 and 31-13 as our officer and 9 is just considered a portable radio each bike will have a portable radio assigned to it . I also don't agree with putting 100% volunteer on the bikes my comment was what if somewhere down the line we decide to have a paid crew for daytime coverage ? And the answer I got was we'll just take it off the bikes than. I'm not in charge I don't make the decisions.

grumpyff likes this

Nice looking bikes. Best of luck with them!

Did CVAC pay for bikes and setup or were they through a grant/donation?

I know other agencies like Our Lady of Mercy Hospital (Monte North) in the Bronx had a similar setup for large scale events, not sure if they are still used .

What's with the "100% volunteer" lettering? What is the purpose? Should paid departments put "100% paid" on the side of their vehicles?

Probably the same reason you see IAFF union stickers on the windows/bumpers on some fire apparatus. Its recognition of who you are.

Does it really matter? Who cares!

No light package

There was talk about putting some lighting on them.

Did CVAC pay for bikes and setup or were they through a grant/donation?

I believe we might have paid for them.

Edited by texastom791

Not a bad idea you guys had there... Can you PM me the specs for these? I have been trying to get a couple bikes for my vac for a while for the special events and trails we cover.

Gators are nice..but for the same reasons why I'm putting together a bike program...kinda of hard to maneuver when 10,000 people are packed into an area..or on a mountain bike trail barely a foot wide.

Light package? Are you kidding me...

Numbering and lettering...love how that's what some pick up on. I don't care if they put the alphabet on it...or any number...and "liability"? Very little liability as the agency is covered no different then anything else. And I wouldn't know why anyone other then an EMT or Paramedic would be on a medical bike.

Alpinerunner likes this