Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Firehouse Construction pictures

11 posts in this topic

Out and about this week, took some pic's of Scarsdale & Bedford Hills Firehouses under construction.

First up Scarsdale FD's Headquarters.

post-27-0-53333100-1305940663.jpg

From Fenimore Road.

post-27-0-87149100-1305940699.jpg

From Fenimore Road.

post-27-0-13912500-1305940828.jpg

Rear of HQ along Post Road.

post-27-0-71238400-1305940858.jpg

Nice Antenna Tower.

Next up Bedford Hills HQ.

post-27-0-87919000-1305941019.jpg

Looking from Bedford Road, Rt 117.

post-27-0-02835400-1305941207.jpg

Old & New Sections.

post-27-0-80031100-1305941269.jpg

New Section.

post-27-0-47793900-1305941295.jpg

Caption for this picture is:

BHFD Engine & Rescue couldn't wait to get in to new section

or

"Now that we have a bigger Firehouse, we need bigger Fire Trucks, these don't fit."

More photos can be found at BedfordHillsFD.org.

firedude likes this

Nice photos. I really like Scarsdale's.

The second caption definitely.

Scarsdale FD building is looking nice, fit's into the NIMBY neighborhood. However, I thought they were going to have all new larger apparatus bays.

Bedford Hills, wow. When they do something, they do it right! It's good to see the progress!

Will they EVER be finished in Scarsdale. It's been 2 years i think.

Are those the bay doors for Scarsdale? The doors do not look like they are tall enough to fit the ladder Scarsdale recently purchased.:( Of course I am just using the construction worker and the dumpster as a rough comparison, but those doors look small compared to the building

Edited by grumpyff

Are those the bay doors for Scarsdale? The doors do not look like they are tall enough to fit the ladder Scarsdale recently purchased.:( Of course I am just using the construction worker and the dumpster as a rough comparison, but those doors look small compared to the building

It's probably the angle of the picture that I took. The bay to the left (the original two bay bay) is part of the original building and they had TL29 (Sutphen 70'?) stationed there with E54 & 2343 (Duty Officer). The bay to the right is the new addition, and that bay is taller than the original.

The doors are high enough for the ladder, but still well below the 14' high standard. The look was more important than the function. At some point in the future they will pay for that.

The larger bay is definetly for the Crimson Ladder. However, the other two bays still look tight. I know I read in the Scarsdale Enterprise that one of the requirements of the building is that it "fit in" with the community, liw Sacarsdale VAC, adding thousands to the project. I wonder if keeping the old building was a requirment, because it seems it would have been better to just tear it down. Also to note this is the police station as well. It will defintely be an improvement, but for a community like Scarsdale you would have thunk it to be bigger and better. Most new construction firehouses have plenty of room inside the bays to do apparatus checks, maintainence, etc.

In regards to the Scarsdale project, was the architect smoking in the shower? Why in the world would you put two tudor revival additions on a colonial revival building? I understand that downtown Scarsdale is tudor revival, but you'd think that they would have attempted to have the new additions blend seamlessly with the original building. Other than that, congratulations and good luck to the two departments on the upgrades.

In regards to the Scarsdale project, was the architect smoking in the shower? Why in the world would you put two tudor revival additions on a colonial revival building? I understand that downtown Scarsdale is tudor revival, but you'd think that they would have attempted to have the new additions blend seamlessly with the original building. Other than that, congratulations and good luck to the two departments on the upgrades.

I agree with you 100%, from the pictures here, Scarsdale's addition is NOT Architectually pleasing to the eyes...They really took away from the old building. I hope it is at least functional inside for all..