Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFBlaser

POV's

25 posts in this topic

Having some issues with gear storage and lighting and such on my POV, and looking for some inspiration,

If some of you, who have POV's could post some pictures or links that would be great!

Thanks!

Having some issues with gear storage and lighting and such on my POV, and looking for some inspiration,

If some of you, who have POV's could post some pictures or links that would be great!

Thanks!

Gear = Trunk

Lights = Better Off Without

bad box, BFD1054 and antiquefirelt like this

Gear = Trunk

Lights = Better Off Without

What problem with a light? Your trying to store gear on your dash?

16fire5 and firedude like this

What are you looking for? If you are from new mexico, i have no idea what the light laws are out there. Gear should be kept out of the way but easily accessible.

Edited by firedude

Basically what i'm looking for are storage ideas for the rear of my car, and how others have radios and such set up in the front portion... inspiration is what I need.

Lights in the truck "on" lid closed gear on the roof "! whats next ?

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Basically what i'm looking for are storage ideas for the rear of my car, and how others have radios and such set up in the front portion... inspiration is what I need.

The best place for inspiration would be Elightbars, just like bullseye said. If you want more ispiration, check out some install pics.

Maybe check out Odyssey Auto or Specialty Warning Systems.

In Nova Scotia a lot of volunteers carry their gear in the trunk. A lot of them leave it at the fire halls as they have to go there to respond to the call.

It is getting recommended to leave it in the fire halls to air out after a call due to the fact it takes about 72 hours to off gas the HCN fumes.

The only ones allowed to put lights on their POV's are the Chief and Deputy Chief and it puts up your Insurance premiums.

That is a ruling from the Provincial Registry of Motor Vehicles.

bad box likes this

What kind of POV do you have?

At the risk of opening myself up and showing my TRUE buff status, here is a glimpse of what I do.

I have a Suburban.

I have never been able to make a rig and I live close to the firehouse, so I carry my turnout gear, coat, pants, helmet, radio, mask, and handlight in the far rear hatch area, behind the 3rd row seat. I have a safety barrier designed for dogs to keep anything in that area from flying forward and injuring my kids in case of an accident.

I have also installed a charger for my portable radio and my handlight on the side of the rear storage area. All of this gear is covered with the retractable tonneau cover.

For lights, which in MY area, still are a valuable assett and do help, although I rarely use them. I have;

A 4 LED "stick" on the dash, 2 small LED grille lights, and strobes in the amber portion of the rear tailights. Simple, yet exceptionally effective. All are hardwired to switches that are installed where the old analog OnStar used to be.

I also installed a Bearcat 16 channell scanner in the center console where I removed the factory cassette player.

There is NOTHING obstrusive about the entire set up, and other than the dashlight, you would never guess the truck was so "buffed out"..LOL

I drive a 99 4runner, used to have an audi, but that was too much damage for the rural roads I respond on.

I have an old military surplus box in the rear that is anchored to the seats which carries wild land gear and such as well toilet paper and other things I may need if stranded, I then have my large bunker bag floating around in the rear as well. Nothing else other then 100 feet of rope with a carabiner that I use to walk my dogs. haha

Basically I am interested in mounting (cheap) an ICOM radio Charger and a Maglite charger. as well as mounting my radio and light switches/siren switches in the front.

I just screwed the chargers where I wanted them. Used wood screws which worked well on the plastic.

Either these folks are independently wealthy or they are doing without the necessities of life in order to pay for their massive compliment of courtesy / buff lights. Check these out I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity them:

FFBlaser likes this

Either these folks are independently wealthy or they are doing without the necessities of life in order to pay for their massive compliment of courtesy / buff lights. Check these out I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity them:

Most definitely laugh at the first one. I dont know how the driver of the Honda Element can see around the obstructions of the interior lights let alone see during the glare from the flashback while responding at night.

FFBlaser, my recommendation is throwing your gear in the back but get a dog barrier like posted above. Additionally, make sure any lights you get do not obstruct your windshield while driving and do not have a large about of glare from the flashback. Lights in the headliner and in the grill and maybe a few mounted to the headliner facing the rear in the back will do you fine and wont break your budget.

The truck and element are just a bit much. The kia is the most tasteful out of all of them but even then, is it really necessary to have the alternating blue in the fog lamps? As ESPN puts it "C'mon Man!"

easy way to do it... mount them where they wont be in the way of the air bags or passengers and find some lo pro lights... if they dont fit you dont need them. i have a visor light and grill light and some rear strobes and a light in the back window (stop alot on the parkways). there is such a thing as overkill!

The driver of the element must look pretty stupid with all those lights flashing while he is sitting at a traffic light or does he ignor those laws also.

It does show how important he thinks he is, that if he does not get there quick all is lost. And most long island depts claim they get huge turnouts.

helicopper likes this

Yea I agree about the 1st link with the Honda. That's is a lot of money to buff out your car. With all of the blue lights mounted and it looks like he has a horn/ siren too from what the comments stated on you tube. You still have to obey all traffic laws, What is the point of all that crap on your car when you get into a accident just to get there a few seconds faster. I had a blue light then I gave it up. The call will still be there when the pager goes off. Also the most dangerous is responding to and returning from alarms.

Be safe out there and don't drive stupid

Chris

helicopper likes this

I drive whichever of our cars I happen to find the keys for first.

In winter my gear lives in the house and I don it warm before I drive; I've never seen the point in dancing the tarantella in the snow.

The rest of the year it gets thrown in the trunk.

I have a blue light. I use it, if I happen to have it in the car, on maybe one in fifty or one in a hundred calls.

Next!

Mike

My truck was giving to me by my father, he used it for police traffic details, all POVs for details. The truck has hide away strobes in the front and rear, 4 stobes on the back rack of the truck, 2 blue, 1 red, 1 yellow. 2 blue strobes in the grill and 1 on the headliner. It also has the local PD and FDs on a 2 way radio. For gear i keep my bunker coat on the back of my rear left seat between the window, my pants and rolled into my boots those are kept on the floor between my rear and front left seat, my helmet is hung from a hanger right above my coat. It sounds like alot but the only thing visible is the rear strobes on the back rack.

1. That is all pretty ridiculous

2. Does the guy with the Jeep tow around one of those huge generators Con-Ed uses when a small city loses power for a while to run the 500 Q2B's he has?

In my experience, the more lights, the more laws broken. You have got to think you're pretty important to be hauling around all that candlepower! It's probably the same ones that think the agency would crumble if they were ever to leave. Of course this isn't the case with all buffed out mobiles, some may actually use them for traffic details etc. But my question to that is, why should you have to invest all that money in your POV? Shouldn't your agency provide a vehicle for that? Just sayin'

The KIA is from PA and apparently their laws are that they have to be visible from all directions (360 deg) volunteers are only allowed to run blue lights. If they are a volunteer and are responding with an ambulance they can run blue and white. Chief's can only run red lights.

I want to get a 6' barlight to put on the roof of my Ford Taurus, so it sticks out a few inches on either side of the car like most others around me, maybe then I will be cool... :rolleyes:

Simply put, I have a dashmaster strobe light that I have had for years and can count how many times I have used it on one hand.

The trunk is huge, so I keep my gear there, no special way, just easy to grab. When its used at fires it gets aired out either at firehouse or my garage for a few hours before going back in. Make sure you wash the gear off after the fire, dont be one of those rediculous "A"holes that keep the gear as dirty as possible thinking its a measure of your experience. The cleaner the gear the longer it will last. (And the less complaining from the wife that the car stinks like smoke! :D )

As captain I am issued both a mobile and portable radio. The mobile is kept under the arm rest inbetween the two front seats out of the way, the only thing that makes it look "Buffy" is the HUGE antennae the dept had...Its like a 4' long whip antennae that sits on the roof of my Taurus and makes me look like a ham-radio job rolling down the road, otherwise I keep the portable charger in the house and charge the radio after every use, why install a charger in the car?

It's things like this that make me hide with my head down in shame that I'm grouped with these individuals as a volunteer... completely absurd, plus you look like a dang F-shop driving around like that.

F-Shop?

I have 1 light in my car but I use it pretty regularly, its really only useful at one intersection along a major route in town and then along that route to the fire house. About 3/4 of the time people move out of the way....the other 1/4 are usually the d-bags and the usual oblivious drivers...

The difference for me with the light verse without the light can be about 5 minutes considering the amount of time I normally wait at that intersection waiting for traffic to let me go.

firedude likes this