Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

When you joined the FD..........

20 posts in this topic

Without a doubt, PPE has progressed in leaps and bounds over the years, lucky for us! But when you joined, what did the PPE consist of?

I joined the fire department in 1990 and I was issued;

Cairns 5a leather helmet with huge a** Plectron faceshield. No impact cap, no reflective decals. The department issued Metro's at the time, so the Juniors got the old leathers.

Cotton duck 3/4 length coat with corduroy collar and silver reflective stripes.

Pull up rubber boots

leather fire gloves

We wore Scott 2a Air Packs 2200 psi!

I have said it before, but sometimes I wish we could go back to pull ups and long coats...sometimes.

When I first got into the volunteers, I wore a metro helmet, the same 3/4 coat with corduroy collar, rubber pull-up boots, fireball gloves and steel bottle MSA air-packs with the elephant trunk. Nobody had nomex hoods, and bunker pants were only on the firemen in the TV show, EMERGENCY! The turnout gear was kept on a rail along the top of the hosebed. One guy would jump up and start passing gear down, and we would start to put it on while riding on the back step! If you got the right size boots, they were without fail, both left boots. The rigs were all manual transmission, bias ply tires, and a few of them were still gas motored with manual chokes. Remember the wet road/dry road selector switch?

I simultaneously joined my college fire department and my local fire department. At the college department we had pull up rubber boots, rubber coats and steel helmets. The local department (Briarcliff) had pull up rubber boots, polycarbonate helmets, cotton duck coats. In short order I purchased my own nomex bunker pants, nomex coat, gloves, boots, cairns new yorker helmet. A lot of years went by before the department issued PPE as good as what I bought for myself.

In the days of Plectron home recievers I also purchased my own Minitor when they first came out. You could do things like that then when you were single and working. I also had wig-wags in my POV long before they appeared on the police cars. You didn't need a blue light with a pair of wig wags back in the mid 70's.

Our scott air packs were in cases stored in a cabinet before it became standard practice to mount them and there weren't enough to go around. We also rode the rear step and sometimes 'geared up' on the hose bed while responding.

We got one of the very first hurst tools, I think in '75, when the department that ordered it couldn't write the check and our chief could. Back then fatal MVA's on our stretch of the Taconic occurred on a regular basis. That same hurst tool is still on our engine today. (Its been refurbished). When I joined we had an open cap, no doors 1948 Mack. At the time Briarcliff was all Mack. We replaced it in 1972 with a CF Mack with the first automatic transmission in our department.

The ambulances were all cadillacs then and I was among the first group of 5 EMT's in our department. When we got our first modular it was like treating someone in a ballroom by comparison. We did a bus disaster drill in Ossining one time, I was also with OVAC, and we had two patients suspended from the ceiling, one on the bench and one on the stretcher in the cadillacs. About a month later and a couple days apart we had car vs bus accidents on North Highland Avenue by the Highland Diner.

I think the best thing about the fire/EMS business is that you never forget the old memories and everyday gives you the opportunity for a new one. It never gets old, even though we do.

Alpinerunner likes this

Ha! Good stuff!

We almost lost our house to a Plectron fire in the late 90's!

I missed riding the tailboard by a few years...would like to say i have done it other than at a parade...

Ah the days of long coats, 3/4 boots, and metro soup bowl helmets.When I joined in Dec of 88 we had them, and got to use iron on numbers to mark them. I had the plectron base unit that could be heard over anything. Rode tailboard (and sideboard on our 1949 ALF, Ladder 39) to a few alarms. Back the we even rode on top of Patrol 7 which sucked in cold wet weather and required you to look out for low tree branches and wires. Shared Scott facepieces, no hoods and,steel bottles with the flat bottoms. Some fun memories, met a lot of guys and learned just as much.

Edited by grumpyff

When I first volunteered in 1990 we had just bought all new PPE. The bunker gear was made by Globe and was yellow pants with orange reflective stripes around the bottom. The pants came up to your waist and had the red suspenders. The jacket was also yellow with orange stripes around the cuffs around the bottom of the jacket and about at chest level. The jacket would come down past your waist, but stop a few inches above the knees. The helmet was a Cairns Metro. The SCBA was MSA with the elephant hose. We still had a few steel bottles, but we tried to keep those as replacement bottles. Just before I left in 1993 we switched to the SCOTT SCBA, and were switchimg to the new Globe PBI gear and black Cairns 1010 helmets.

Our Engine was a 1976 ALF Pioneer, and our Quint was a 1985 Pierce Arrow with a 75' aerial which they just replaced last August (2010).

Edited by Task Force 7

November, 1975; goodyear rubber boots, 3/4 black--non nomex-- coats, MSA plastic helmet complete with opaque Plectron face shield, "rubber gloves" (the kind that melted when you touched something too hot), MSA SCBA (2 packs per company), Plectrons (waiting list - count the box on the horns and roll), Gasoline standard shift apparatus, lolipops on the '48 American LaFrance Foamite, brass couplings, rookies cleaned everyone elses turnout gear/folded/put away for one year, etc......

Heavy 2500psi Scott in a suitcase. To be used only if needed because we have to send the bottles out for refill. The FDNY South Bronx guys used "cheaters," which were a bite-down scuba diver's mouth piece adapted to fit the elephant hose. This was in place of the mask because the mask used to fog up. Besides that, there's good air at the floor or if you stick your head behind the nozzle.

And: rubber and/or canvas coats, Johnn&Roy helmets, Pull up boots, Edmont Fireball gloves, bunker pants were for winter and you had to buy your own, door chocks and Gerrity light inner-tubed on your helmet.

Anything better that you are using today, bear in mind that we old guys are the ones that got it for you.

Edited by wraftery

1982 - Long coat with 3/4 boots, orange fireball gloves, pair of mason work gloves, leather new yorker with bourke eyes.

air packs - msa ultralite [yeh right] and us divers, bottle never filled more then 1800 psi

listened for siren to blow , no pager - once for ambulance, 3 for fire.

plectron box for the home.

Edited by CHIEFPHIL

3/4 Rubber boots, long Globe coat, crappy gloves and a sweet a$$ Metro helmet lol.

Doing a leg lock on the portable ladders during Essentials certainly sucked with those pull-up boots!

1980....long coats, 3/4 boots, plastic helmets, rubber gloves,plectron. Turnoout gear not issued just on the rigs...first come first serve. Rode the tailboard with no straps. Scott 2's. Allthough things were done a bit backwards at times it was good times. No service awards or other perks. Rookies did what they were told without question. There was a strong brotherhood. No drama, no non-sense. You got your b**lls broken and took it. You wanted to be there and be part of the family.

Today???

Bnechis and BFD1054 like this

In 1974, no one was issued gear. There was 3 or 4 sets on the engines. The coats, pull up boots and leather NY helmets (with fold down eye protection) were kept on a rail above the hard suction. If the engine went out on a run in the rain, the gear would be wet, and you would get a foot full of water when you turned the boots upside down to get into them. There may have been a pair or two of red fireball gloves in one of the compartments. There were only two or three MSA air packs stored in a box in two of the engines. In those days the engine would pull up to a scene, drop a wye on the front lawn and stretch duel 2.5" lines to a hydrant and hook up tight. . When you arrived on a scene, you had to follow the hose to an engine and look for gear. If there was none, you had to find the other engine and see if there was anything left. If not you sat that one out. The Chief was the only one who had a portable radio.

A lot of the guys started buying their own gear or holding on to stuff. I bought my own state of the art coat. A Globe canvas duck 3/4 coat with silver reflector material trim. A few months later I picked up a pair of Ranger boots and work gloves. I still have the coat. It is half the weight of the PPE of today. Quite the antique. If an OSHA inspector was to go back in time to 1974, he would probably have a massive coronary.

The engines at that time were open top (no roof), it sometimes was cold and wet on the runs. No crew cabs then, You rode on the back step or the running boards. All were gas powered with manual transmissions. One engine (built in1965) in had a strange shift pattern 1 4 R

2 3

When you stopped, you pushed down on the brake to build up brake pressure, then and flipped a lever which held the brake fluid pressure as a parking brake. You pumped in 3rd and there was a latch welded on the shifter to keep it from popping out of gear while in pump.

Guess I am showing my age.

Edited by SOUSGT

Joined as an Explorer - got 3/4 boots (size 10), long coat (size 38) and a blue metro helmet. Later, got a Sonar pager followed by a Shinwah(?) pager. Pretty sure we had one portable radio per rig, we had horns and house sirens for every call, still had pull boxes and dispatched by PD. Did EMS. One gas meter, no TICs.

Became a full member - got bunker gear (size 46) w/ rubber boots (size 13), a 1010 helmet, a hood(!) & a Minitor II pager. Started seeing more portable radios on each rig, a few years later the pull boxes and horns were retired. PD still dispatching us. Still doing EMS. Had 2 gas meters and the 1st TIC came soon after.

Currently a 1st Assistant Chief - got full gear (no comment on sizes), a leather N5A, a Minitor V pager. Had the Minitor III for a short time (POS), followed by a Minitor IV (another POS) before getting my first Minitor V about 5-6 years ago. Now we have portable radios for each seat on each rig,

3 TICs, 5 gas meters, no longer do EMS (YAY!) and get dispatched by 60 Control, using the siren only during the day.

In 1992 we had:

E118 - a 1963 Maxim

E119 - a 1984 Mack CF

E120 - a 1975 Ward LaFrance

L44 - a 1971 Maxim Mid-Mount Aerial

T10 - 1990 International / EEI

R18 - 1963 Mack / German-something

Boat 18 - 1960's 16' Aluminum Boat

Now, in 2011 we have:

E118 - a 1993 HME/Saulsbury

E119 - a 2006 Seagrave

E120 - a 2003 American LaFrance

TL44 - a 2002 Pierce 100' RM Quint (DEMO)

T10 - Same one, new one in process.

R18 - a 1993 International / Cayel Craft (DEMO)

M12 - a 1992 or 1993 24' Boston Whaler (Also was Marine 7 for a blink of the eye)

M32 - Was "Boat 18."

A lot has changed, but it's all been for the better. Looking forward to seeing how things are in 10-20 years!

The one thing I miss most are the old-timers that have passed on. So many good guys with great stories and always an inspiration to us younger guys.

1980....long coats, 3/4 boots, plastic helmets, rubber gloves,plectron. Turnoout gear not issued just on the rigs...first come first serve. Rode the tailboard with no straps. Scott 2's. Allthough things were done a bit backwards at times it was good times. No service awards or other perks. Rookies did what they were told without question. There was a strong brotherhood. No drama, no non-sense. You got your b**lls broken and took it. You wanted to be there and be part of the family.

Today???

I agree with you 100%. Today's generation is a lot softer and thin skinned. The rookies today wouldn't have made it 25 years ago. How I miss the old timers!

Happy Fathers Day

BFD1054 likes this

I agree with you 100%. Today's generation is a lot softer and thin skinned. The rookies today wouldn't have made it 25 years ago. How I miss the old timers!

Happy Fathers Day

Went on the job in a small city in Connecticut in May, 1975. No formal training. Only thing the Capt told me was ride the back step and hang on tight. He then brought me up to the third floor attic area of the firehouse and told me to pick some gear that fits from a pile of used stuff. Of course Nothing really fit, but I took the best I could find in that junk pile. Then he brought me out and showed me how to tie into a hydrant.

One thing that helped me was that I had been a volunteer in a combination paid/volly dept. Those career guys (Fairfield, Ct) were Great. They gave us a lot of training, and the Capt of training would train us every Wednesday Night. Everything like air packs, hose handling, and ladders.

I was told that I had to put the flag out and take it in. And make sure there was always fresh coffee on the stove. Being thick skinned was certainly a requirement. The senior guys had no trouble telling you what they thought.

Around 1990 or so, we went to the new Bunker gear. I hated the stuff, but I know it was a lot safer. We also all got to carry our own radio on each shift. Before that, only the officers had portables.

I put in 30 years. Saw so many changes its hard to list them. One such change was that we used to watch the ambulance go by the firehouse for a heart attack victim. In those days you would respond to a trash can fire, but, NOT for a life threatening medical emergency. We were just starting to get EMTs on the Dept. I was one of the first. The older guys would say "We're Not doctors, we're Firemen". Now, in that 50 man dept, EVERYBODY IS an EMT.

In those days maybe we didn't go on medicals, but we sure went to a lot more fires.

I loved the job. When I retired it was like I had "Won the Lottery and Lost my Best Friend" at the same time. A bitter/sweet day. But I knew it was time. When everybody in the firehouse wasn't even born when I got on the job, I guess its time to go. So in January, 2004, I did.

Firefighting is certainly a young, strong persons job. No longer called "Firemen" they are called "Firefighters". Another major change to the fire dept during those years. We had our first lady "Firemen", I mean, "Firefighters".

Edited by nfd2004
Alpinerunner and BFD1054 like this

All right you young whippersnappers :D everything you guys have said is true long coats/3/4 boots but heres one thing I learned on when I joined the fire service--Nov 1966 thats right 1966. Pocantico hook and ladder Company #1 North Tarrytown Fire Department.

We had MSA filter masks 6 per company and only one SCBA per apparatus. You guys going to do your home work on MSA filter masks . They had tape on the bottom and a color monitor built in, when the colors matched you changed the filter. they looked like WW1 gas masks. No such thing as positive pressuer masks--you had to suck the air in through the filter.

thank goodness with in 2 or 3 years all of the filter masks were replaced by SCBA.

LOL...yeah its a shame generations change and often for the better...(yawn). If only the fire service could learn how to spell change.

FireCapt...they had 3/4 boots back then?

Gerstenslager !!!

Joined as an Explorer - got 3/4 boots (size 10), long coat (size 38) and a blue metro helmet. Later, got a Sonar pager followed by a Shinwah(?) pager. Pretty sure we had one portable radio per rig, we had horns and house sirens for every call, still had pull boxes and dispatched by PD. Did EMS. One gas meter, no TICs.

Became a full member - got bunker gear (size 46) w/ rubber boots (size 13), a 1010 helmet, a hood(!) & a Minitor II pager. Started seeing more portable radios on each rig, a few years later the pull boxes and horns were retired. PD still dispatching us. Still doing EMS. Had 2 gas meters and the 1st TIC came soon after.

Currently a 1st Assistant Chief - got full gear (no comment on sizes), a leather N5A, a Minitor V pager. Had the Minitor III for a short time (POS), followed by a Minitor IV (another POS) before getting my first Minitor V about 5-6 years ago. Now we have portable radios for each seat on each rig,

3 TICs, 5 gas meters, no longer do EMS (YAY!) and get dispatched by 60 Control, using the siren only during the day.

In 1992 we had:

E118 - a 1963 Maxim

E119 - a 1984 Mack CF

E120 - a 1975 Ward LaFrance

L44 - a 1971 Maxim Mid-Mount Aerial

T10 - 1990 International / EEI

R18 - 1963 Mack / German-something Gerstenslager !

Boat 18 - 1960's 16' Aluminum Boat

Now, in 2011 we have:

E118 - a 1993 HME/Saulsbury

E119 - a 2006 Seagrave

E120 - a 2003 American LaFrance

TL44 - a 2002 Pierce 100' RM Quint (DEMO)

T10 - Same one, new one in process.

R18 - a 1993 International / Cayel Craft (DEMO)

M12 - a 1992 or 1993 24' Boston Whaler (Also was Marine 7 for a blink of the eye)

M32 - Was "Boat 18."

A lot has changed, but it's all been for the better. Looking forward to seeing how things are in 10-20 years!

The one thing I miss most are the old-timers that have passed on. So many good guys with great stories and always an inspiration to us younger guys.

Edited by PCFD ENG58

All right you young whippersnappers :D everything you guys have said is true long coats/3/4 boots but heres one thing I learned on when I joined the fire service--Nov 1966 thats right 1966. Pocantico hook and ladder Company #1 North Tarrytown Fire Department.

We had MSA filter masks 6 per company and only one SCBA per apparatus. You guys going to do your home work on MSA filter masks . They had tape on the bottom and a color monitor built in, when the colors matched you changed the filter. they looked like WW1 gas masks. No such thing as positive pressuer masks--you had to suck the air in through the filter.

thank goodness with in 2 or 3 years all of the filter masks were replaced by SCBA.

You got me Cap, 1973, gear was on the rigs climb up when you got their and change. 2 SCBA's per rig in a case. Riding the back step,(miss getting dressed while hanging on) or on the truck the side step if someone was already in the 2 jump seats. We had the old MSA's but they were out of service. Had my own gloves. later after I took my essentials class I got a canvas coat and pull up boots and Leather New Yorker assigned to me. Still have the NY'er. And we all shared the same face piece. It was assigned to the mask.