Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtarby

Homelink systems for emergency vehicles

4 posts in this topic

Is anyone aware of any homelink style systems that could be used by fire and EMS when attempting to gain access to a gated driveway or community? I'm thinking of something similar to the residential homelink systems that are common in many cars these days but in this case it would be one that could be programmed for dozens of different gates instead of the 3 that come with the residential version. Homeowners would just need to bring their gate remote down to the firehouse to have the system programmed for their residence.

It seems like the technology is there, just don't know if it's been implemented.

Is anyone aware of any homelink style systems that could be used by fire and EMS when attempting to gain access to a gated driveway or community? I'm thinking of something similar to the residential homelink systems that are common in many cars these days but in this case it would be one that could be programmed for dozens of different gates instead of the 3 that come with the residential version. Homeowners would just need to bring their gate remote down to the firehouse to have the system programmed for their residence.

It seems like the technology is there, just don't know if it's been implemented.

Why not look at the solution Know Entry systems has for gate access. Many areas of the country use it successfully. If your community has a know box system in place it would be a natural fit to legislate gated communitys add know entry keys to those gates as well.

Unfortunately we don't have a Knox Box system in place. I couldn't find anything about "Know Entry" systems when I searched the web so wasn't sure if you meant Knox. Our access to commercial building is through a key box in the fire dept office that holds a copy of the keys to the dozen or so commercial buildings we have in town. Did I forget to mention that we're primarily a residential community? :-)

We do have gate codes for the communities so that's not as big of an issue unless they change the codes and neglect to tell us. I was looking for a solution primarily for the private driveways which would also take care of the gated communities at the same time.

i think i saw an add somewhere, some time ago for an audio based system - blip a siren at the gate and it opens