Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Hurricane Irene

55 posts in this topic

Where we are, unless the forecasters are extremely wrong, looks like we'll skirt this one. But, it might come right up the east coast. Who really knows? All we know down here, is when there gets to be bad weather in the area we can count on "Henry" showing up. He's an Osprey Hawk, and you can bet surer than patootie if there's bad weather in the area, he'll land, perch and fish for sushi on and off the mast of the sailboat on the canal behind our house.

So, anybody making preps for the storm just in case?

Where we are, unless the forecasters are extremely wrong, looks like we'll skirt this one. But, it might come right up the east coast. Who really knows? All we know down here, is when there gets to be bad weather in the area we can count on "Henry" showing up. He's an Osprey Hawk, and you can bet surer than patootie if there's bad weather in the area, he'll land, perch and fish for sushi on and off the mast of the sailboat on the canal behind our house.

Here in Orlando metro, had the Oak trees thinned last year so probably just bring the patio furniture into the garage along with a few flowering potted plants.

It's looking more like New England is in the sights of this one... Might have to stock up on french toast!

efdcapt115 and Alpinerunner like this

here in the CLT area they are still unsure if it will head for coastal or make a left turn and head our way, i have a go bag ready and am manning our station on friday night and sat

As of 11PM last night the National Weather Service was predicting that after hitting the North Carolina coast, it would continue north and hit the NYC Metro area as a Cat 1 storm. I haven't heard the updates. The last ETA to NYC was around 2 PM Sunday.

As of 11PM last night the National Weather Service was predicting that after hitting the North Carolina coast, it would continue north and hit the NYC Metro area as a Cat 1 storm. I haven't heard the updates. The last ETA to NYC was around 2 PM Sunday.

Marc,

Looks like she's going to Cat 4 and you might get the outer ring of Cat 2:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=22.4&lon=-73.9&zoom=6&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=1&hur.wr=0&hur.cod=1&hur.fx=1&hur.obs=1&fire=0&ft=0&sl=0

Front What I heard. The latest Models show it making another landfall in NJ, and coming up into the NYC area

just going to make sure the generator starts, and get fresh gas for it. pick up some stuff in the basement just in case. other than that, nothing really special.

Looks like it might make it here as a category 2... we'll see. picked up some extra hours that night 6-mid.

Wouldnt mind a good storm. Reminds me of the floods of 07. Had us out for 48 hours pumping basements.

May be just a bit premature not knowing the exact track and what not but I Called for a work detail last night and we did a once over of all the saws and pumps and all that good stuff. Granted our station check was just completed but we don't need one craping out if we get hit.

effd3918 and firemoose827 like this

I hope a tree limb goes through my leaky roof so my insurance fixes it! LOL

If not - plan on a beer party at my house next spring! Bring your hammers...

FFD941 and effd3918 like this

Another weekend I wont have to water my lawn.. :rolleyes:

Luckily Irene is going to hit VT on monday. However...is it bad that a hurricane is striking the first day of the semester/school year?

Weather.com added The NYC and Hudson Valley area into their "EXTREME" threat category for the storm....The next 48 hours will definately tell what the storm is going to do.

Weather.com added The NYC and Hudson Valley area into their "EXTREME" threat category for the storm....The next 48 hours will definately tell what the storm is going to do.

I saw that...now I am thinking I need to get some plywood and cover my new replacement windows I put in over the past 2 years...and sand bags to keep what is left of my driveway from washing away until the state can fix the rain gutters on the street...oh the joys of being a homeowner....

Sure wish I could simply rely on ole Uncle Barack (or however you spell whatshisname) and sit back and have you all work for me..LOL

FFBlaser and firemoose827 like this

At the helm of 60 Control for the Sunday day shift.... NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT! :huh:

I'm sure all the departments are getting they're marine units ready for this insanity

Nevermind the hurricane!

Mayday cancelled...missing member accounted for. Welcome back, Georgie!

For the hurricane, EFDCAPT115 will recon from Florida, I'll recon from VA. I ran the generator, stocked the fridge. I've got wives and kids. VBFD put out a "Get ready for recall" notice.

x129K likes this

im getting me some mre's smoke's and my camera :) oh well so much for going to the dutchess county fair this weekend.......... im getting my rhib ready.

MIAMI — Hurricane Irene is pounding the northwestern Bahamas on its march across the Caribbean toward the U.S. East Coast.

Meanwhile, officials from North Carolina to New England are looking at what they need to do prepare for the first major hurricane to hit the East Coast in seven years.

As of 8 a.m. EDT Thursday, the Category 3 hurricane was centered about 65 miles (105 kilometers) east-northeast of Nassau in the Bahamas. A hurricane warning remains in effect for the central and northwestern Bahamas.

Also Thursday, a hurricane watch was issued for the coast of North Carolina along with a tropical storm watch for South Carolina.

And in Virginia, the U.S. Navy's Second Fleet has started moving ships away from Norfolk Naval Station to keeps them safe from the approaching storm.

www.huffingtonpost.com

With the hurricane expecting to reach a Cat 1 or 2 when it makes land fall, coastal communities can expect anywhere from 0-6ft of storm surge along with significant rainfall. Make sure your pumps, saws and any other mechanical equipment you need are gased, oiled, and ready to run.

If your department is going to run flood water evacuations, or other types of water rescues without calling for a water rescue team, be sure to follow the following guidelines (and by no means take this as "Ok, we're good to go for flood water and swift water response").

- NO turnout gear in or around the water - turnout gear, especially pants and boots WILL DROWN YOU. It is impossible to kick and try and stay afloat wearing it.

- Wear your life jacket anytime you are within 6 feet of water.

- Do not wear neoprene rescue suits in flood waters, this includes ice rescue suits. Gas and other petroleum based products that are found floating in the flood waters will break down your suit eventually reaching your skin giving you a nasty burn. They also not water tight, leaving room for water contaminated with sewer waste, oils, and other nasty stuff to get inside the suit and fester up against your skin for the duration of you wearing it.

- Always walk in flood waters with a prod pole that reaches feet in front of you (not directly in front of where you are standing), much like sounding the floor when VESing a room. Manhole covers, sewer drain lids and other items will be forcefully removed by the water, leaving a hole in the road filled with downward flowing water. You will get sucked in, and you will drown; it has happened many times before and a fireman recently drowned in Colorado.

- Swift water constitutes any water moving faster then 1kts.

- Remember the adage of "REACH, THROW, ROW. GO." Any rescue where we can stay warm and dry, is the most successful type. If you are unsure, call for a swift water team, in fact call for the swift water team anyways, it is far better to have them in route, then realizing 20 minutes down the line you need them in rapidly rising waters.. They have the training and knowledge on how to preform this most difficult type of rescue. The GO portion, should only be performed by individuals who reach the Technical or Operational level of swift water. Any member can stand on the shore and throw a rope, or shove a pike pole to the individual. DO NOT tie your entry team off to a rope that is tied to a shore, if they slip, they will be pulled under water by force and drown.

Again, this is by no means a training module or any release to say you are good to go for swift or flood water rescue. Use this as an awareness tool.

eric12401, SteveOFD, Monty and 13 others like this

With the hurricane expecting to reach a Cat 1 or 2 when it makes land fall, coastal communities can expect anywhere from 0-6ft of storm surge along with significant rainfall. Make sure your pumps, saws and any other mechanical equipment you need are gased, oiled, and ready to run.

If your department is going to run flood water evacuations, or other types of water rescues without calling for a water rescue team, be sure to follow the following guidelines (and by no means take this as "Ok, we're good to go for flood water and swift water response").

- NO turnout gear in or around the water - turnout gear, especially pants and boots WILL DROWN YOU. It is impossible to kick and try and stay afloat wearing it.

- Wear your life jacket anytime you are within 6 feet of water.

- Do not wear neoprene rescue suits in flood waters, this includes ice rescue suits. Gas and other petroleum based products that are found floating in the flood waters will break down your suit eventually reaching your skin giving you a nasty burn. They also not water tight, leaving room for water contaminated with sewer waste, oils, and other nasty stuff to get inside the suit and fester up against your skin for the duration of you wearing it.

- Always walk in flood waters with a prod pole that reaches feet in front of you (not directly in front of where you are standing), much like sounding the floor when VESing a room. Manhole covers, sewer drain lids and other items will be forcefully removed by the water, leaving a hole in the road filled with downward flowing water. You will get sucked in, and you will drown; it has happened many times before and a fireman recently drowned in Colorado.

- Swift water constitutes any water moving faster then 1kts.

- Remember the adage of "REACH, THROW, ROW. GO." Any rescue where we can stay warm and dry, is the most successful type. If you are unsure, call for a swift water team, in fact call for the swift water team anyways, it is far better to have them in route, then realizing 20 minutes down the line you need them in rapidly rising waters.. They have the training and knowledge on how to preform this most difficult type of rescue. The GO portion, should only be performed by individuals who reach the Technical or Operational level of swift water. Any member can stand on the shore and throw a rope, or shove a pike pole to the individual. DO NOT tie your entry team off to a rope that is tied to a shore, if they slip, they will be pulled under water by force and drown.

Again, this is by no means a training module or any release to say you are good to go for swift or flood water rescue. Use this as an awareness tool.

stay safe and i hope your not that busy

We are soooo glad we just had an automatic stand by generator installed at home - in fact, the week after we got it we lost power for an afternoon!.....

Gas cans are full, need to top off the vehicles....thankfully we are far, far about any flood stages- and the sump pump is ready and waiting!

Now just waiting to see if the overtime fairy will call.....

Until proper training in done I'll go with the "No bunker gear near water" thing,(boat yard firefighting on a dock no gear?) but by getting horizontal as quickly as possible your gear actually will trap air (Ex. on back toes of boots will fill with the air) and keep you fairly buoyant. And YES it will work with a pack also and YES I can attest to it. I will spare the doubters and direct you to an '02/'03 article in either FE or FH magazine on FF survival in water or something like that. Like I said, until properly trained (being comfortable in water is a plus) please don't go jumping into every body of water with gear on, but just in case it ever does happen (FALLING into water not jumping!! hehe) it is not instant drowning. :ph34r:

Any doubts -http://www.firehouse.com/topic/rescue-and-special-ops/firefighter-surival-water

Never posted a link before, if it doesn't work, Moderators please help.

Edited by Firediver
wraftery and FDNY 10-75 like this

Until proper training in done I'll go with the "No bunker gear near water" thing,(boat yard firefighting on a dock no gear?) but by getting horizontal as quickly as possible your gear actually will trap air (Ex. on back toes of boots will fill with the air) and keep you fairly buoyant. And YES it will work with a pack also and YES I can attest to it. I will spare the doubters and direct you to an '02/'03 article in either FE or FH magazine on FF survival in water or something like that. Like I said, until properly trained (being comfortable in water is a plus) please don't go jumping into every body of water with gear on, but just in case it ever does happen (FALLING into water not jumping!! hehe) it is not instant drowning. :ph34r:

Yes you can float for a little while in stagnent water, such as a pool. My comment was directed for swift and flood waters. Guys wading around in bunker gear down a flooded road who have the opportunity to fall into a manhole or on the side of a rapidly flowing stream are in extreme risk for becoming overcome by the water. It is hard enough to get on your back, and ferry down the river feet first in a water rescue suit and a life jacket, let alone do it with weighted down bunker pants on. Bunker gear around the water, unless you are fighting a fire like you said, is just an overall bad idea. It is not worth the risk.

Edited by JohnnyOV

I understood your post exactly. NO TURN OUT GEAR in swift water Ops.(I AGREE) However, I do not have any knowledge of where every member (some do not fill out location) or guest who reads this forum lives and therefore do not know if any one who might be affected by this storm or any other is susceptible to flash floods where turn out gear (either full or bottoms) was appropriate for the call and suddenly Senor Murphy arrives as a flash flood. I posted because there is always a chance and accidents do happen even when we are doin it right. If the moderators feel my post does not "Fit" in this discussion then they can move it to training discussion or I will delete it to reduce the confusion . Just curious, HOW MANY READERS KNEW THEY COULD FLOAT IN THEIR GEAR? :unsure: Charlie Mike

Edited by Firediver

This is a link to a test our Union did on turnout gear buoyancy a few years ago. The results were pretty surprising for some of us.

efdcapt115 likes this