Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Preparedness at home for the 1st responder's family

13 posts in this topic

While everyone (citizens) are at home weathering the storm, most of us will be on an extended stand by/call back/out on calls and away from home for quite some time. What can the family of an emergency responder do to prepare for us being away from home durring this storm?

Im not talking the basic "Plenty of water/food/flashlights/etc" prepardeness type stuff that everyone should do. Im talking the how to prepare the family to be OK without the 1st responder being there.

For instance, my family knows how to setup/connect/run/refuel/transfer the backup generator without me. I have all the town FD and PD freqs programmed into the scanner so they know whats going on. They have all the "non public" phone #'s for the station if something crazy happens at home so the guy in the radio room can contact me when I'm out on call. Is there anything else that can be done to prepare the family for your extended time being away?

Edited by 38ff

While everyone (citizens) are at home weathering the storm, most of us will be on an extended stand by/call back/out on calls and away from home for quite some time. What can the family of an emergency responder do to prepare for us being away from home durring this storm?

Im not talking the basic "Plenty of water/food/flashlights/etc" prepardeness type stuff that everyone should do. Im talking the how to prepare the family to be OK without the 1st responder being there.

For instance, my family knows how to setup/connect/run/refuel/transfer the backup generator without me. I have all the town FD and PD freqs programmed into the scanner so they know whats going on. They have all the "non public" phone #'s for the station if something crazy happens at home so the guy in the radio room can contact me when I'm out on call. Is there anything else that can be done to prepare the family for your extended time being away?

Seems like you have covered everything. My family does the same. Only other thing we do is make sure everyone has a "go bag" incase they have to evac.

Good thoughts. I've heard that some folks are a bit reluctant to do standby's because of things that might happen at home.

Maybe it's a good time to send the family out of town for the weekend? Go visit the inlaws or something :)

One of the things that came out of Katrina was the first responders that didn't show up - or didn't have their head in the game becuase they were worried about what was happening to their families at home.

Good thoughts. I've heard that some folks are a bit reluctant to do standby's because of things that might happen at home.

Maybe it's a good time to send the family out of town for the weekend? Go visit the inlaws or something :)

One of the things that came out of Katrina was the first responders that didn't show up - or didn't have their head in the game becuase they were worried about what was happening to their families at home.

Agree with Monty. Getting them out of the danger zone will put your mind at ease, and you can focus and concentrate 100% on the job at hand. Send them east 100 miles to a nice hotel with a pool.....

Agree with Monty. Getting them out of the danger zone will put your mind at ease, and you can focus and concentrate 100% on the job at hand. Send them east 100 miles to a nice hotel with a pool.....

I think West might work better. :P

That's me. I won't be chasing limbs down and wires arcing, especially with 2 little ones at home.

Many departments make arrangements to move families into the fire house during the stand by. If your family is at the firehouse, you know they are safe. That is most important. The house can be repaired or even replaced if need be. The families physical well being is more important. If you know they are safe, you can concentrate on the job at hand.

FFD941 likes this

Many departments make arrangements to move families into the fire house during the stand by. If your family is at the firehouse, you know they are safe. That is most important. The house can be repaired or even replaced if need be. The families physical well being is more important. If you know they are safe, you can concentrate on the job at hand.

That would assume that the 100 year old fire house (that was determined to be structurally unsound by engineers) and is located in the flood plane is safer than ones private home.

x129K and bigrig77 like this

Maybe respond from your house? if your volunteer then be as much of a help both ways

Not gonna work. Bad storms lead to a back-log of alarms for most departments. You go out and start responding you will find yourself away from home and your loved ones for many, many hours.

JohnnyOV likes this

Maybe respond from your house? if your volunteer then be as much of a help both ways

Not going to work, last major storm we had roll threw our district, left us with about 60 backlogged calls in 2 hours. You need all the man power you can get, and you'll be on the road for hour stints, if not pulling a 24+ in a rig. Obviously it helps to rotate personnel, but when the call log starts to really back up, you bite the bullet and get the job done.

When I was chief, I greatly encouraged the members bring their families to the station for storm standby's. This worked well a few times that we had storm related standbys during my tenure.

knew the family was ok.

allowed more guys to come in instead of riding it out at home.

allowed the family to be with friends and lets face it ,in small deprtments other family members.

we usually have running water, power, kitchen with food, entertainment [ps3, Wii, cableTV, video games, pool tables

I know it is tough for the career guys, most likely will not be able to bring thier families to work. Does anyone consider having your crews family meet at one families house and support each other ? That way they are all together. Just a thought.

bigrig77 and efdcapt115 like this

Just saying, but I wouldn't risk driving in the middle of this thing to get to the firehouse(even though I live about a minute away) if Irene's going to be as bad as they say it will be. Wouldn't want to get stuck out there.

On a side note, and I think I speak for everyone, for every member who's living and/or working this weekend and into next week in Irene's path, stay safe!

FFEMT150 likes this