Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SOUSGT

Fight at Playland Injures 4 Park Rangers

19 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110902/NEWS02/109020369/Playland-park-ranger-suffers-broken-arm-3-others-hurt-confrontation-Bronx-man?odyssey=obinsite

Four park rangers and two concession stand workers were injured at Rye Playland Thursday night, one suffering a broken arm, when they tried to subdue a Bronx man who turned violent, county police said.

Many years ago, Playland had "specials" to patrol the park. I was one of them, we were uniformed seasonal peace/ police officers that were armed and carried night sticks. Many of us used this experience to transition into full time careers in law enforcement. In reading the postings it appears the that "specials" have been replaced by park rangers. One of the disturbing facts in both incidents at Playland is that rangers were injured and there was no report of the perps being pepper sprayed. I am not implying that there should be retribution but do these rangers carry any devices to protect themselves? Or is thier role to observe and report and hope help shows up in time? if this is the case It seems like it may be time to go back to the "specials".

What the hell is going on in County parks this season? Seems like there is some sort of incident every week lately. Playland used to be a place where you could take your family and enjoy a little peace and quiet. Seems like that is no longer the case Hopefully these guys are alright.

They should make admission to the park mandatory that you be a WESTCHESTER resident. Get rid of that "borough" element...

They should fund more County Police sworn Officers to patrol the park. Nothing against the seasonals or rangers, but a Police Officer is more highly trained and experienced. As I mention below, the contractors would have to fund extra full time WCPD positions, however they need for the park and however they can use them in the off season.

It doesn't matter where the people come from. If it was only Westchester people, the park would see a tremendous drop in attendance. Especially with the current reputation. If I lived in the area, I would never bring my daughter there.

I say hand the place over to a private contractor to bring the park up to it once was, including a boardwalk, resturants,a family friendly layout and amenities, etc. For the off season,a childrens museum, indoor concert venue, etc could bring in year around income. The county would get a percentage since they own the place. Enough talking about this and getting RFP's over and over again, and putting them off, DO IT.

There are plenty of orginazations wanting to save Playland in one way or another, and my feelings that can only be accomplished if they build a safe reputation and develop year around cash flow.

Also, the parking lot is pretty big....would be a nice place for a training facility for the departments in the area....just sayin'

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110902/NEWS02/109020369/Playland-park-ranger-suffers-broken-arm-3-others-hurt-confrontation-Bronx-man?odyssey=obinsite

Four park rangers and two concession stand workers were injured at Rye Playland Thursday night, one suffering a broken arm, when they tried to subdue a Bronx man who turned violent, county police said.

Many years ago, Playland had "specials" to patrol the park. I was one of them, we were uniformed seasonal peace/ police officers that were armed and carried night sticks. Many of us used this experience to transition into full time careers in law enforcement. In reading the postings it appears the that "specials" have been replaced by park rangers. One of the disturbing facts in both incidents at Playland is that rangers were injured and there was no report of the perps being pepper sprayed. I am not implying that there should be retribution but do these rangers carry any devices to protect themselves? Or is thier role to observe and report and hope help shows up in time? if this is the case It seems like it may be time to go back to the "specials".

County park rangers carry pepper spray, an expandable baton and handcuffs, they are peace officers and have full arrest authorities while on duty

I have to say, the only times I've visited the place are when it's been closed to the public and rented for private events (usually by UBS bank). So we didn't have to contend with the undesirable element in the crowds - but from the so-called 'service' we got from some of those running the refreshment concessions etc. it seems some of those same undesirables have got themselves on the payroll. Some of them were definitely on the make, trying to tell people they had to pay for stuff when everything was supposed to be free. They were very brazen - when they were read the riot act by the organizers they simply took the merchandise off the shelves or put up a 'closed' sign; if they weren't going to be allowed to run their little scam, people weren't going to be served.

I don't know who's to blame but the place has turned into a complete dive, patronized and run by shady characters, and it deserves to die, in its present form.at least.

Mike

Edited by abaduck
efdcapt115 likes this

They should fund more County Police sworn Officers to patrol the park. Nothing against the seasonals or rangers, but a Police Officer is more highly trained and experienced. As I mention below, the contractors would have to fund extra full time WCPD positions, however they need for the park and however they can use them in the off season.

It doesn't matter where the people come from. If it was only Westchester people, the park would see a tremendous drop in attendance. Especially with the current reputation. If I lived in the area, I would never bring my daughter there.

I say hand the place over to a private contractor to bring the park up to it once was, including a boardwalk, resturants,a family friendly layout and amenities, etc. For the off season,a childrens museum, indoor concert venue, etc could bring in year around income. The county would get a percentage since they own the place. Enough talking about this and getting RFP's over and over again, and putting them off, DO IT.

There are plenty of orginazations wanting to save Playland in one way or another, and my feelings that can only be accomplished if they build a safe reputation and develop year around cash flow.

Also, the parking lot is pretty big....would be a nice place for a training facility for the departments in the area....just sayin'

The County tried having a contractor run the park a while ago. Marriott (I believe was the operator) changed the character of the park by taking away the free admission and putting up fences every ware. I don't recall the particulars but there was a big uproar of the way the park was being run and the County took control back.

the park runs at a loss and I believe that this factors into the reason for the rangers vrs police patrols.

And you are correct about the parking lot. The County used to have EVOC classes there. I don't know if they still do.

Bull McCaffrey likes this

http://www.lohud.com...dyssey=obinsite

Specials have evolved into the rangers- uniform change and lack of firearm. I believe they used to carry until about 7 years ago when they were taken away after an incident. I dont think adding more police officers will matter as we see police officers were attacked by these perps in both incidents as well.

Disaster_Guy and BFD1054 like this

What the hell is going on in County parks this season? Seems like there is some sort of incident every week lately. Playland used to be a place where you could take your family and enjoy a little peace and quiet. Seems like that is no longer the case Hopefully these guys are alright.

The park has been going downhill slowly since the late 1960's when Freedomland and Palisades Amusement park closed up shop. The so-called "bad element" from NYC and vicinity descended upon Playland and the entire atomsphere changed for the worse. I haven't been back there since the early 70's and most likely never will return particularly given the recent spate of events.

You're missing out on the last 40 years. I had a phenomenal time there as a kid in the 80s and later taking children there in the 90s.

The park has been going downhill slowly since the late 1960's when Freedomland and Palisades Amusement park closed up shop. The so-called "bad element" from NYC and vicinity descended upon Playland and the entire atomsphere changed for the worse. I haven't been back there since the early 70's and most likely never will return particularly given the recent spate of events.

I have to say I used to take my son there in the mid 90's and it was pretty clean and there were no problems.

It doesn't matter if your a Police Officer, Security Officer, Peace Officer, EMT, Firefighter or the mail man. A uniform is an authority figure or a presence of authority in peoples minds. It doesn't matter if your badge is oval or square because they will still disrespect the person wearing it. I speak from experience and knowledge. I've "subdued" individuals who resisted without pepper spray and an impact device. You use a baton, pepper spray or discharge your firearm there will be loads of paperwork to follow (not to mention having to tend to thier wounds.) It's all about how you talk to somebody, how you present yourself and matching force with force if need be. I feel sorry for these park rangers because I know half of them are very young and we all know some get their jollys while one duty. There should be better training for these guys.

I spoke with one of the Rangers involved in this incident. First, I have to say, he's a perfect gentleman. But, I have seen what the Rangers have been reduced to. They have taken away their WCPD uniforms and given them a joke of a uniform that does not project authority. No sidearm. Baseball caps.

The first thing the powers to be can do is restore them to the "Specials" status they used to have. Give them more training if they need it, then get them in to a police uniform, and give them a rig complete with a firearm. Use the same psychological profiling as used for regular PD so you don't get a guy/gal with the "power syndrome." But they've got to restore that projection of authority. The people that are screwing around would think twice if they were confronted by a "cop" instead of these guys wearing this whatever you want to call it "uniform." It's only going to get worse at Playland until they get the protective force in there looking like people that command respect.

They should make admission to the park mandatory that you be a WESTCHESTER resident. Get rid of that "borough" element...

That's not going to help. So, what you're saying is that if I want to take my girlfriends' son over for a ride on the Dragon Coaster, I should not be allowed entry because I live in the Five Boroughs?? Ya know, Cap, we've been talking on this board for a number of years and this is a ridiculous statement. You got that "element" as you put it, in many of the towns and cities in Westchester County. People got stupid, acted up, and 4 Rangers got hurt.

Here's a thought, and someone please chime in with opinions. Would it be feasible for specific local PD's from throughout the county to say, detail a cop or two over to Playland during the hours of operation?? Pair them up with the rangers on duty to keep a presence in the park so people think twice before acting the fool??

efdcapt115 likes this

That's not going to help. So, what you're saying is that if I want to take my girlfriends' son over for a ride on the Dragon Coaster, I should not be allowed entry because I live in the Five Boroughs?? Ya know, Cap, we've been talking on this board for a number of years and this is a ridiculous statement. You got that "element" as you put it, in many of the towns and cities in Westchester County. People got stupid, acted up, and 4 Rangers got hurt.

Here's a thought, and someone please chime in with opinions. Would it be feasible for specific local PD's from throughout the county to say, detail a cop or two over to Playland during the hours of operation?? Pair them up with the rangers on duty to keep a presence in the park so people think twice before acting the fool??

You're right and I apologize brother. It was aimed at an "element" and they really could come from anywhere. No offence meant, please accept a cyberhandshake? :)

Edit: To further illustrate how right you are, I started thinking about the times I had enjoyed Playland as a kid, then later on when my family flies in from Seattle and we've driven up, I've taken my nephew and niece to Playland myself. My own stupidity on this residency would mean........I would not be admitted either, since I don't live in Westchester! DOY.

Edited by efdcapt115

I was at Playland not too long ago and saw a much larger County Police presence. There was a regular county officer in a car with a plate reader in the circle, another on a bicycle, another on foot, a sgt and two regular county cops at the stage. Back in the day there used to be one cop and a Sgt and the specials were dressed similar to the regular cops to make the presence appear larger than what it really was. I am sure the County parks department pays for the cops and cuts as many corners as possible.

years ago i know the reps from six flags wanted to buy playland. why not sell it to them would make the county more money then trying to open it... six flags has their own security staff, they are trained to handle unruly guests, as well as their own first aid team that responds all over their parks. i would love to see some kind of demo there while the park is closed maybe an execution of a active shooter scenerio (sorry kinda into all that SRT/SWAT tatics skills thing..heck make a compatition out of it.)

but as far as the parking lot yeah its huge...the long hike from the main enterance to the resturant i have done pleanty of times with beer barrles on a hand truck.

hope the 4 park rangers have a speedy recovery.

Why can't the county use PSEF members for parks patrol details, or at least as an armed supplement to the rangers and full-time officer(s).

You're right and I apologize brother. It was aimed at an "element" and they really could come from anywhere. No offence meant, please accept a cyberhandshake? :)

Edit: To further illustrate how right you are, I started thinking about the times I had enjoyed Playland as a kid, then later on when my family flies in from Seattle and we've driven up, I've taken my nephew and niece to Playland myself. My own stupidity on this residency would mean........I would not be admitted either, since I don't live in Westchester! DOY.

None taken. It's all good my friend.

As stated, the Seasonal Park Rangers carry O.C. spray, expandable batons, and handcuffs as well as having peace officer status. The park is staffed at minimum with 1 supervisor, 2 police officers, and 10 SPR's, more as needed or depending on the crowds expected. The regulars still refer to the SPR's as specials. To be hired, individuals applying must pass psychological exams, among other things. I've read comments elsewhere that Specials back in the day acted like professionals and wanted to be cops, and that is no different then the SPR's today, other than the fact we don't have a firearm and look like bus drivers. In the past few years, I've had at least 10 friends that were specials, sorry park rangers, hired by various law enforcement agencies around the county.

efdcapt115 likes this