Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abaduck

TMFD = ISO Class 2!

16 posts in this topic

No-one else has posted it, but it's in the public domain so I don't mind mentioning it here...

http://www.townofmam...-09-08_pm154127

TMFD Achieves Excellent Fire Protection Rating

Residents of the Unincorporated Area of the Town of Mamaroneck may see a reduction in their fire insurance premiums because the TMFD has received an improved rating from the Insurance Services Office (ISO), an independent national risk evaluation organization that assigns a Public Protection Classification (PPC) rating to more than 47,000 fire departments in the U.S.

TMFD has improved its rating to a #2, one of only 23 fire departments out of 2,469 in New York State to achieve such a rating. Fire Chief Brendan P. Collins said "we are very pleased with the improved rating. The department has made a concentrated effort to improve and maintain its equipment and training over the years."

I guess we must be doing something right for once! biggrin.gif

Mike

okcomputer, sfrd18, Bnechis and 2 others like this

Remember Charleston, SC was a Class 1 department and they horrificly lost 9 firefighters fighting a furniture store fire with poor water supply and inadequate hose lines.

Remember Charleston, SC was a Class 1 department and they horrificly lost 9 firefighters fighting a furniture store fire with poor water supply and inadequate hose lines.

What the hell the does that have to do with the ISO rating?

Congratulations. This is an achievment to be very proud of as it is measured by an external agency rating the effectiveness of fire safety in your community in a manner that the insurance companies can guage emperically and create the premium.

This definately shows all the hard work that the members and officers of the TMFD put in to their department.

What the hell the does that have to do with the ISO rating?

It's got alot to do with it bro., you should know that. You can have all the fancy equipment, training and bresnan distributors you want on a rig but if the manpower isn't there to deploy it and use it that ISO rating means nothing. Does the ISO take into account how many personnel show up to a Job at 3am without relying on m/a? The citizens of the Town of Mamaroneck might really enjoy their new reduction in Insurance premiums but lets see how they feel when their house or business burns to the ground cause a skeleton crew showed up on the 1st due apparatus within the 1st three minutes.This is by no means a diss to the TMFD, they got alot of great guys and do the best they can with what they got, but I think just too much emphasis is placed on ISO ratings. How many of the ISO employees have ever even fought a Job. I could care less if my Dept. has more then its full complement of halligans and nozzles or a great water supply within its district, if there's a delay in utilizing these resources you can take that ISO rating and stick it!

Edited by FirNaTine
lad12derff and bigrig77 like this

It's got alot to do with it bro., you should know that. You can have all the fancy equipment, training and bresnan distributors you want on a rig but if the manpower isn't there to deploy it and use it that ISO rating means nothing. Does the ISO take into account how many personnel show up to a Job at 3am without relying on m/a?

I'm sure Barry will be along shortly to give an informed answer, as he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about the ISO system, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying that attendance records - how many guys show up to calls - play a part in the ISO rating. In other words, you can have all the fancy equipment etc., but if you don't get enough well-trained members responding, you won't get that rating. And I think I'm correct in saying there's a 'three for one' system; ISO requires three volunteers to respond to be counted the same as one career guy riding on the rig?

And I'm pretty sure MA isn't a factor in ISO ratings. Barry?

Mike

16fire5 likes this

I'm sure Barry will be along shortly to give an informed answer, as he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about the ISO system, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying that attendance records - how many guys show up to calls - play a part in the ISO rating. In other words, you can have all the fancy equipment etc., but if you don't get enough well-trained members responding, you won't get that rating. And I think I'm correct in saying there's a 'three for one' system; ISO requires three volunteers to respond to be counted the same as one career guy riding on the rig?

And I'm pretty sure MA isn't a factor in ISO ratings. Barry?

Mike

That sums it up.

The manpower is the single largest points portion of the rating.

You can have all the...bresnan distributors you want

HA! LMAO. Is Larry Bremmer around? That was his favorite firefighting appliance!

On another note, the ISO process has awarded them with a rating of 2. This took into place manpower, equipment, water supply and rumor has it several special factors designed specifically for the Sound Shore by Capt. Nechis.... So they should be congratulated because their efforts will most likely have a direct result in insurance premiums paid by property owners and in these economic times even with the wealth in the area, every dollar counts!

Edited by mfc2257
SRS131EMTFF and okcomputer like this

Just to clarify things I wasn't attacking the TMFD I was voicing my opinion on the ISO rating issue. Congrats to them on a job well done! Now put the Bresnan back in the closet dam it!

That sums it up.

The manpower is the single largest points portion of the rating.

Barry, isn't water supply the most important factor = ( 40%)?

Communications 10%?

All other, which includes staffing, training, apparatus, equipment, apparatus location and deployment = 50%?

And all this will be changing signifcantly in the near future as I understand?

Congratulations Mamaroneck.

It's got alot to do with it bro., you should know that. You can have all the fancy equipment, training and bresnan distributors you want on a rig but if the manpower isn't there to deploy it and use it that ISO rating means nothing. Does the ISO take into account how many personnel show up to a Job at 3am without relying on m/a? The citizens of the Town of Mamaroneck might really enjoy their new reduction in Insurance premiums but lets see how they feel when their house or business burns to the ground cause a skeleton crew showed up on the 1st due apparatus within the 1st three minutes.This is by no means a diss to the TMFD, they got alot of great guys and do the best they can with what they got, but I think just too much emphasis is placed on ISO ratings. How many of the ISO employees have ever even fought a Job. I could care less if my Dept. has more then its full complement of halligans and nozzles or a great water supply within its district, if there's a delay in utilizing these resources you can take that ISO rating and stick it!

10/4. I had a brainfart. I should have picked up what was implied.

Barry, isn't water supply the most important factor = ( 40%)?

Communications 10%?

All other, which includes staffing, training, apparatus, equipment, apparatus location and deployment = 50%?

And all this will be changing signifcantly in the near future as I understand?

Chief, you are correct in your percentages, but the fire depts 50% is more than the waters 40% and each of the 3 sections has many sub parts. Of those sub parts the largest # of points is manpower and it is the one that can most rapidly alter the mathimatical calculations of the rating. Man power is also the only one that is open ended, meaning the more men the more points, while more engines or hose or water after you hit the requirements for your community fire flow do not count.

The changes are significant, but I don't believe the will change what depts are rated at (except for those with substandard manning).

Kudos to TMFD. Now, I'll be curious to see though if the insurance savings actually show up ... either in the near future or at the next renewal.

Edited by Monty