Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtarby

Being a color blind EMT

5 posts in this topic

My son is very interested in starting his EMT training when he turns 18 in a few months. On the classroom side of things I'm sure he'll do just fine but because he is color blind I'm thinking that he will face some challenges on the practicals and in the field.

He can't tell if someone has a rash or anything else that would turn the skin red, like a sunburn. He also has a problem with black and red, they look the same in many cases. Also, don't tell him to wait for the LED to go from red to green, he'll be there all day.

I'm interested in hearing from any EMTs out there who share that same condition and what they have found helpful in overcoming that.

Thanks

x635 likes this

I don't think that he would be barred from taking the class or obtaining the certification. However, he very well may have trouble in the field and securing employment. I'm sure he can or already has developed methods to cope/compensate for the defencies in his vision.

x635 likes this

I am colorblind, and I have been an EMT for 16 years on and off, even an EMT-CC for 3 years. When I check for skin tone I hold my hand up to the patients face, if they are lighter than they are pale, Etc. I made it through the practicals with no problems and when I am in the field it helps to have your entire squad know you are colorblind so they can help you in tight situations. Like once at the ER I was assisting in the trauma room with a bad trauma call and the documenting nurse asked outloud for me to tell her what the skin temp and color were, another friend of mine immediately jumped in and answered for me. So tell him not to be shy when it comes to telling the squad about the colorblindness. I do not have trouble seeing shades, I can tell if something is darker or lighter than something else so I use that. My main area of colorblindness is blue/brown, so anything in that spectrum I have trouble with.

Sometimes as a firefighter too I have issues like reading the color of smoke and flames, but I have help from my brothers/sisters there too and have never had any problems as a result.

You or your son can contact me at any time to talk more if you wish, just send me a PM and we can chat.

x635 likes this

I had partner that is color blind. Any time he couldn't tell he'd just ask me. It worked out just fine. I'm not sure to what extent, but I'll find out. He does have some red/green issues though. Our EKG transmission light is red or green and he's found a work around for it; usually just asks whoever is standing next to him.