Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

Norwalk Dispatch- Closes 10/13/2011

3 posts in this topic

Norwalk Dispatch- Closes 10/13/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job Title: Public Safety Telecommunicator I (Dispatcher)

Note:> "(Initial appointment at Entry-level Step). Telecommunicator I so this is for Disptacher Trainees

See Below

>>>Closing Date/Time: Thu. 10/13/11 11:59 PM Eastern Time

Salary: $21.96 - $28.03 Hourly

$45,852.00 - $58,524.00 Annually

Job Type: Full-Time

<(Apply ON LINE ON the URL below)>

Description Benefits Supplemental Questions

Through the use of radio, computer terminal or telephone: receives reports of emergencies, non-emergency complaints or messages; transmits reports and messages to mobile units, persons or departments; and dispatches equipment and personnel to locations where fire, police, or emergency medical service is needed.

Examples of Duties:

Receives emergency and non-emergency complaints, messages and information by radio or telephone. Sets priorities among incoming messages to determine which should be transmitted first. Determines appropriate course of action based on procedures and information from the computer-aided dispatch system. Transmit messages by radio, telephone or intercom to appropriate person, department or agency. Dispatches proper equipment and personnel to locations where service, assistance, or coverage is needed. Monitors various radio frequencies, computer terminals or other systems for information or requests for assistance. Obtains information from reference books and manuals or computer files. Maintains various logs and files manually or on computer. Operates recording equipment. Checks equipment, requesting repair service as needed. Assists in on-the-job training of new personnel.

Typical Qualifications:

High School graduate or equivalent. Knowledge of the operation of radio and communication equipment. Knowledge of dispatching terminology, procedure and equipment. Ability to effectively utilize windows-based computer systems. Knowledge of City of Norwalk geography. Ability to find information in directories and manuals. Ability to maintain logs and files. Ability to receive, clarify, record and input oral and written communications accurately. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions. Ability to remain calm under stressful circumstances. Ability to deal effectively with others. Ability to type thirty (30) words per minute.

The description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.

Supplemental Information:

Must obtain certification as a Telecommunicator and an Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) within one year of appointment. Must be COLLECT and NCIC certified within one (1) year of appointment.

Note: Applicants must meet the following to be eligible for appointment to this position:

a-) Successfully pass CritiCall - Dispatcher simulator examination.

b-) Successfully pass a background check sufficient for NCIC Certification.

* (Initial appointment at Entry-level Step). Telecommunicator I is at salary Grade 6. An employee will advance to Telecommunicator II, Grade 8 after two (2) years provided he/she has a satisfactory performance record. Current Grade 8 Salary: $50,551 - $64,523. Only those candidates selected for interview will be notified. Work schedule is 5/2, 5/2, 5/3.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/norwalk/default.cfm

Edited by BFD389RET

Currently there are two openings they are looking to fill for these positions. I encourage anyone looking to file to apply asap as they will move to fill off the list quickly. In addition any police or fire retirees, this is a great 2nd career with retirement,deferred comp, medical and dental and ample ot. It seems as of lately that more and more young retirees are applying for jobs in ct and getting them and the Norwalk commute is an easy one.

Edited by REW111786

Currently there are two openings they are looking to fill for these positions. I encourage anyone looking to file to apply asap as they will move to fill off the list quickly. In addition any police or fire retirees, this is a great 2nd career with retirement,deferred comp, medical and dental and ample ot. It seems as of lately that more and more young retirees are applying for jobs in ct and getting them and the Norwalk commute is an easy one.

Thats a pile of Crap too, I've applyed each of the last 3 times its been posted in the last couple years and with 4 years of previous dispatch experiance , and a referance from a NON Cop... and I have had NO response to nothing... I type 30 wpm I was ncic and collect qualified Before these guys knew what thats meant. I am a retiree with quite a number of years in public safety in the state.. Sothats a line of BS , I have a considerable amount of time before I reach "retirement age" and Have been testing... yet NORWALK has blown me off 3 times in two years... Haha

Edited by BFD389RET