Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Bedford Ordering New Rescue

16 posts in this topic

From what I understand, Bedford Village has ordered a new Rescue, Spartan on a Gowans Knight chasis.

Where do they plan to fit this rescue? I assume that they still haven't built a substation yet? I hope BFD can actually build a substation one day, to house apparatus that can be built the way it is needed, not so it can fit in the firehouse. And the shuffling can end and shave some minutes off the response time.

If the substation has been built, then I would assume that a Tanker would be the first thing that they would order, because that is a time critical piece that can't fit into their current firehouse.

And what about a Rescue Pumper, similar to Engine 199 that can respond to 99% of emergencies that don't require a rescue truck but has the essential actually needed rescue equipment? If a Rescue is needed, depending on where you are, you've got BHFD Rescue 10. Or Somers heavy Rescue. Or Katonah's Heavy Rescue. Or Mount Kisco's Heavy Rescue. Or Pound Ridge's upcoming Rescue? Or Croton Fall's heavy Rescue. Or Purchase's Heavy Rescue. Or Banksville's Rescue? Or the County Tech Rescue Team? Or Yorktowns Rescue? Or Turn Of River's Rescue? Or Long Hills Rescue? Or White Plains Rescue?

I understand I684 is in Bedford's fire district, but all the above agencies have heavy rescues that have quick access to I-684.

And, since MA-7 and Rescue 44 often respond together, are the two units going to be merged into this one Rescue to sace space? I sincerly hope that this is a light duty rescue and not a heavy rescue.

This is only my opinion based on working in the area.I know I have a big mouth, and I have NOTHING against Bedford FD.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

IMO, the same points you make about the availabilty of a rescue, is the same about the availability of a tanker. I'm sure a lot of thought was put into this purchase.

Bedford Fire Department

Edited by firedude

Holy Cow, there must be a lot of work up there that I never hear about. There are more Rescues located in this corner of Westchester than are located in New York City. What's the manning like on a daily basis? Seems like overkill to me. Did these departments use the same formula for apparatus purchases as Nassau and Suffolk?

x635 likes this

sounds like they might need to build a larger station. admin, wouldnt consistantly relying on mutual aid for rescues and tankers add to the response time rather than "shaving off minutes" ?

Edited by Pedro911

Also Armonk is building a new KME rescue pumper to cover there part of 684

funny was just reading on there site and it says that in 92 When first put into service, Rescue 44 was one of the first rescue trucks in Westchester County to have a mounted set of hydraulic extrication tools powered off of an onboard generator. i know for us in port chester's rescue weve have mounted tools on our heavy rescue for over 40 yrs. i believe alot of depts have had that for a long time. and i agree there are too many so called heavy rescue's in that area. not trying to bash at all just stating the facts just like the sound shore has more tower ladders than needed.depts should really look at whats needed and whats not. the tax payers already hate us. duplication of equitment only makes us look worse

Edited by rescue40

Looks like that they could get more room by replacing e110 and r44 with a rescue engine.

rescue/pumpers are not adequate pumpers or rescues. the concept of dedicated, mission-specific apparatus' is a tried and true way to build a fleet. i wish them the best of luck on their new rescue!

rescue/pumpers are not adequate pumpers or rescues. the concept of dedicated, mission-specific apparatus' is a tried and true way to build a fleet. i wish them the best of luck on their new rescue!

I respectfully disagree. An apparatus that is designed properly and not only for current needs, but future ones, can be more than sufficient.

Mohegan has run Pumper/Rescues for a while, and they run more MVAs then a lot of us do - without a true Rescue. Their E252 as well as E258 can handle both jobs - as far as I have seen.

New Rochelle has a Rescue, but if it isn't staffed and/or available, I'm 95% sure they're able to handle accidents with 1 & 1 - as is Eastchester FD.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Bedford is running as much on I684 anymore, since Bedford Hills reclaimed that portion of their fire district.

As far as Bedford making the decision to buy a new R44 - that's their choice. They would know their district and their department better than any of us looking in from the outside...

Edited by Remember585
texastom791, waful and FF398 like this

I respectfully disagree. An apparatus that is designed properly and not only for current needs, but future ones, can be more than sufficient.

Well said. But I have also found many Rescue Pumpers do not carry enough cribbing to properly handle a 2 car MVA. And if MVA's & EMS are our bread & butter "rescue calls" then how will they carry enough equipment to handle anything beyond that?

Most larger depts. have a run system for rescues that works just like the "alarms" for fire. Minor MVA; Engine & Truck (with extrication tools), then maybe add a Squad co, then a rescue and finally USAR. The "Rescue" backs up multiple truck companies.

New Rochelle has a Rescue, but if it isn't staffed and/or available, I'm 95% sure they're able to handle accidents with 1 & 1 - as is Eastchester FD.

NRFD has 1 Rescue Pumper (E-22), but it is run as a Squad (no rescue equipment, but filled with Hazmat equipment, suits, detectors, special tools, cool vests on ice, 1 hour SCBA, etc.).

Because it is station so remotly from all other rigs, E-25 has a rescue style body (no top bins) and carries a combi tool & cribbing, and some truck tools (for ISO), a 35' extension ladder, Little Giant Ladder (in addition to a 24' extension, 14' roof & folding ladder), generator, smoke ejector, sawzall, tarps, etc. We have found the body style makes the house bed tough to deal with.

L-12 and L-13 both carry extrication tools (spreader, cutter, rams), saws, cribbing, full set of HP airbags, etc.

R-4 has 2 sets of extrication tools, tons of cribbing, jacks, pnuematic shores, mechanical shores, heavy rigging, winches (electric & mannual), HP & LP airbags, pnuematic tools, etc., etc., etc. (the list is long and this 24' tandum axle box is full).

R-54 is our collapse unit and carries: shoring, more cribbing, pnuematic shores, trench pannels, carpentry tools (hand, electric & pnuematic), more heavy rigging, Stanly hydraulic Tool System (jack hammers, concrete chain saw, pumps), etc.,

While R-4 is un-manned, it is cross staffed by the crew of TL-11 (2ff/1of). For an MVA we send 1st due Engine, R-4, & L12 or 13 & 2302. If on I-95 or HRP add a 2nd engine. Thats about 12 - 15 responders.

As far as Bedford making the decision to buy a new R44 - that's their choice. They would know their district and their department better than any of us looking in from the outside...

One would hope that each department would know what is needed better than an outsider. I have found in many cases that depts know there own little world and do not know ways that other depts. have done things (some better, some worst).

But does every community need a "mission-specific" apparatus? As I pointed out, Bedford is surrounded by communities with heavy rescues. Why do they need one as well? Wouldn't a Rescue-Pumper and dual response be a more cost effective route?

I think Westchester has more Rescue trucks per capita then NYC, and do less work. Yonkers has ONE Rescue company and does more work in a year then most all of the WC Rescues, and has just a big a district and more population, traffic, etc.

And what about water? Bedford has little to no hydrants in their district, again, wouldn't a Pumper-Tanker like Tanker 5 be a better choice? I know there is no room in the current firehouse. I'm sure a lot of water upon arrival would be more beneficial to the community, and used more. Bedford Hills has the community support to build a facility to house it's apparatus that is proven to be used often and manpower when needed, why can't Bedford do the same?

I understand departments use Rescues to carry other items, but usually it's something that should be labeled "Utility".

Bnechis likes this

Well said. But I have also found many Rescue Pumpers do not carry enough cribbing to properly handle a 2 car MVA. And if MVA's & EMS are our bread & butter "rescue calls" then how will they carry enough equipment to handle anything beyond that?

That's why a dual response with a Rescue truck would be warranted. Can they properly staff BOTH a Engine and a Rescue at a traffic incident with the minimum amount of trained respnders during the weekdays?? Cribbing's only as good as the people who know how to use it and get the most out of it safely and quickly.

Why does every department have to have it's own Rescue truck? How are they supposed to get enough experience if they don't use it or it's equipment often? If the area had less Rescues, and an increased dual response system, then the firefighters would have a chance to actually apply the skills they were trained on.

A Rescue-Pumper as a first due should be able to handle a two car collision if spec'd properly. Especially if they save space by putting a PTO pump on it since it's role isn't primarily a structure fire or pumping water (Barry cringes)

Here's a Rescue-Pumper that carries plenty of cribbing (not all cribbing pictured):

post-11-0-42198300-1318292708.gif

I wish I had the time this evening to get on my soap box about duplication of apparatus in Westchester County and the need for a system that gave departments the ability to specialize in certain services rather than providing every service poorly. I just don't understand why the rest of America gets it and the NYC metro area doesn't.... Let one municipality deliver great rescue services and the next provide great truck company operations... So many places I can go with this. Time doesn't permit

With regard to Rescue Trucks.... Don't mistake a rescue truck for a rescue company...

BFD1054, 201/65, Bnechis and 6 others like this

But does every community need a "mission-specific" apparatus? As I pointed out, Bedford is surrounded by communities with heavy rescues. Why do they need one as well? Wouldn't a Rescue-Pumper and dual response be a more cost effective route?

I think Westchester has more Rescue trucks per capita then NYC, and do less work. Yonkers has ONE Rescue company and does more work in a year then most all of the WC Rescues, and has just a big a district and more population, traffic, etc.

And what about water? Bedford has little to no hydrants in their district, again, wouldn't a Pumper-Tanker like Tanker 5 be a better choice? I know there is no room in the current firehouse. I'm sure a lot of water upon arrival would be more beneficial to the community, and used more. Bedford Hills has the community support to build a facility to house it's apparatus that is proven to be used often and manpower when needed, why can't Bedford do the same?

I understand departments use Rescues to carry other items, but usually it's something that should be labeled "Utility".

I'm not sure, but I believe that Bedford has a shortage of drivers, so perhaps the following is one of the reasons they are going w the full size res44cue. I heard that they are putting a cafs on it (unsure of the gallonage) to deal w mva fire suppression, as they might not get a pumper out as well during the week. As for I-684, Ive recently looked at their fire protection district and as you said, they have much more hwy s/b than n/b, but after having followed the events within the local rescue community for a number of years, it would seem that Bedford FD has their fair share of rescue work, not all of it being mva-related. For whatever reason, they get some very unusual rescue requests. All this being said, as one of the previous contributors stated, I'm sure that their apparatus commitee has spent many long hours designing a rig based on the districts needs. As far as a tanker, Bedford is not alone in their need for on scene water and as im sure you know, multiple tankers get dispatched on any hint of a 10-75 in that neck of the woods... So I'm sure they would very much like to see a tanker in their bay, as would the rest of the Batt. 13/16 "tanker squadron": PRFD, BHFD, KFD, BVIFD, etc... It will be interesting to follow the progress of this FD in the near future as they replace rigs. Does anyone know who will actually be building the new res44cue?

Edited by Pedro911

Does anyone know who will actually be building the new res44cue?

It will be a Spartan chasis with a Gowans Knight body.