Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Checking a Member's Driver License

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering...

How does a department legally check the status of a member's drivers license?

Thanks.

I think they have to request a certified copy, and then provide you with one, if I'm not mistaken.

I think they have to request a certified copy, and then provide you with one, if I'm not mistaken.

From the NYS DMV site:

Request for DMV records search account for government, commercial, and not-for-profit organizations, volunteer fire companies, and volunteer ambulance services (replaces forms MV-15COM and MV-15GOV).

Motor Vehicle Record Search Account Application

MV-15D

When you look at the form, it looks like that the license holder has nothing to do with the DMV check. Essentially, the person performing the check on you is the only person that fills out/looks at the form prior to it being sent to the DMV.

efdcapt115 and x129K like this

I think thats probably the best way to go. It's really easy now to request an abstract from the DMV, in fact you can do it online and as long as you have a credit or debit card you can get it virtually instantly and print it out. Shouldn't be an issue for the member.

Ours is done through our insurance company after the member signs a release form. No sign no drive and once they are a driver we have what is called the lens program which monitors their licenses daily.

Was also going to say I believe its easier going through your insurance company.

Ours is done through our insurance company after the member signs a release form. No sign no drive and once they are a driver we have what is called the lens program which monitors their licenses daily.

The LENS program is a very good resource.

JohnnyOV likes this

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/lens.htm

FYI

You simply establish an account then designate a trusted individual as coordinator.

Everybody who drives a department vehicle gives the coordinator a copy of their drivers license annually.

I did this stuff at CE

The NYS DMV Lens Program is terrific. Our department has used it for a number of years.

It provides continuous updates (by email) on the status of members' driver's licenses and it's free of charge.

x129K likes this

Definately the LENS program.

Lens is the way to go. Saved my butt twice. Once was the courts mistake and the other was mine. Both times Lens was the only notification that I received. Otherwise I would have found out in the back of a police car.

x129K likes this