Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DWC295

Volusia County, FL new Braun Ambulance

19 posts in this topic

This was posted on Braun Ambulance's Facebook page. New Patriot models for Volusia County, four total ordered. Post said they are looking to purchase more. Interesting truck!

Photo from Braun Ambulance

post-21149-0-70644000-1321720451.jpg

Edited by DWC295
firedude likes this

Yeah, but can they add a multi purpose bucket, say for firefighting and street light maintenance. then every city manager would be looking to get one. I'm sure the pump can be used to vacuum out catch basins too.:lol:

JetPhoto likes this

Would that be a Typpe V? :P Anyways, this is a very interesting rig. I'd like to see how this works out for them.

Florida seems to love this concept.

What is Volusia County's use/justification for these. In Broward it was somewhat understandable, as there were some unique circumstances involved, what about Volusia? Are these first line EMS pieces, or will they only transport in an absolute emergency?

Interesting concept? Before condeming the unit how about a discussion? Could this type of vehicle possibly help in saving lives and jobs? Please fill me in if i'm wrong, but doesn't New Rochelle contract for transport ALS trucks and New Rochelle FD assists as First Responders? I read an article that said there are 2 transport ALS trucks? Is this true? My point being it must get busy with EMS runs at times to where transport trucks are not available? Why not staff a couple of these unit's for back-up to ALS? What about BLS patient transport by FD, or MCI's or EMS jobs waiting for transport? Dual purpose? Keep the larger apparatus in quarters for other responses. Unit's can be utilized for trash can fires, dumpsters, brush fires or even car fires. They are equipped with CAFS? Dual purpose is what i'm trying to get at. Save jobs. This is just to open a discussion. Could these unit's work? Unit's like this could justify JOBS?

Interesting concept? Before condeming the unit how about a discussion? Could this type of vehicle possibly help in saving lives and jobs? Please fill me in if i'm wrong, but doesn't New Rochelle contract for transport ALS trucks and New Rochelle FD assists as First Responders? I read an article that said there are 2 transport ALS trucks? Is this true? My point being it must get busy with EMS runs at times to where transport trucks are not available? Why not staff a couple of these unit's for back-up to ALS? What about BLS patient transport by FD, or MCI's or EMS jobs waiting for transport? Dual purpose? Keep the larger apparatus in quarters for other responses. Unit's can be utilized for trash can fires, dumpsters, brush fires or even car fires. They are equipped with CAFS? Dual purpose is what i'm trying to get at. Save jobs. This is just to open a discussion. Could these unit's work? Unit's like this could justify JOBS?

They would reduce our fire response manning even more than what we are at now. Plus, it would require replacing stations as there is not 1 inch of space...so add millions to the cost. Then pay for maintenance & insurance, Plus if you are going to send them on "minor" fire calls, we would need to not only buy them ($200,000 plus)then equip them. hose, nozzles, EMS gear, SCBA. SO I figure to get 1 and house it would cost us about $6 - $8 Million.

If we lay off another 45 ff's or so, it might break even.

Thanks, lets leave it in Fl. where they do mostly medical (85%) and almost no fire (some of the remaining 15%).

Now if we had the space and the manning to cover fire, rescue, hazmat, etc. it might not be a bad idea to add capability (rigs & personnel) to help cover additional EMS calls.

Anyone else want to discusse it?

x129K likes this

I'll let you know if i see it around, and maybe ask some of the locals what the plan is. (I live in Volusia)

I'll let you know if i see it around, and maybe ask some of the locals what the plan is. (I live in Volusia)

It looks that Volusia County Fire Services, which provides fire protection for the unincorporated areas of the county, is starting to transport patients now? Back when I lived down there, EVAC (a private company, not a VAC in any of the sense) was the sole EMS Transport provider for the entire county (with the exception of the International Speedway). I know in May that the county counsel decided to absorb EVAC into a county run department since they were already subsidizing them almost $1.5M a year for unpaid medicare costs. There has also been a huge push for Fire based transport in the recent years, but I haven't heard anything coming to fruition. I'm sure the city departments who are huge proponents of the FD based EMS (and have been denied time and time again the ability to transport), are going to, or are already having a field day with this.

One Word! YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKYYYYYYY!

x129K likes this

Interesting concept? Before condeming the unit how about a discussion? Could this type of vehicle possibly help in saving lives and jobs?

This truck was designed either by someone who has never worked an ambulance or a fire truck, or someone with too much power and not a clue.

Or some apparatus maker simply trying to make money.

I believe more than a few Jersey Ambulance Squads have full size heavy rescues that have a built in patient transport area in the cab.

A completely absurd concept.

It seems many apparatus/ambulance makers have decided bigger is better when it comes to pumpers/ladders/rescues/ambulances, and many customers have gone right along with it.

Medium duty chassis ambulances are the rage all over the country.

They cost more, cost more to maintain, cost more to operate, and are slower due to increased size and weight.

At the end of the day there is still only room for 1 stretcher in the back.

I always believed the customer should get what they want and need, not what the apparatus maker is selling.

Edited by ME4
x129K and grumpyff like this

As mentioned before, Broward County Sheriff/ Fire-Rescue purchaed severeal engines with patient transport capabilities. Broward County's New Engine/Patient Transport Units. This has become more and more popular in florida. To the general public, this seems like a great money-saving invention. But they'll realize when it takes 15+ minutes for a first due to arrive on a working fire, it's wasn't the best purchase. I know every deparmtent is different but it just doesn't make sense, IMO.

Edited by firedude

What is the end purpose of this vehicle?? If its being used as an engine you cannot transport the patient. The same is true if it will be an ambulance, you cannot utilize it for firefighting. Rescue/engine or quint, far from ideal for equipment capacity but it can serve both capacities at the same time.

It seems many apparatus/ambulance makers have decided bigger is better when it comes to pumpers/ladders/rescues/ambulances, and many customers have gone right along with it.

I always believed the customer should get what they want and need, not what the apparatus maker is selling.

I think you may have this reversed. If the customers were not ordering them, the manufacturers would not be spending money to develop them.

Didn't the Phoenix Fire Department utilize transport engine/ambulances?