Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

LODD - Firefighter Jon Davies Worcester, MA FD - 12/8/11 (Condolence Thread)

34 posts in this topic

Firefighter dies at Worcester blaze

Worcester Telegram

Thursday, December 8, 2011

WORCESTER — Fire officials have confirmed one firefighter died this morning at an apartment house fire on Arlington Street. A second firefighter is hospitalized.

Fire officials said a tenant remains unaccounted for.

The morning blaze, at 49 Arlington St., has drawn a large response from fire and police investigators. Police tape now borders the building.

A section of the structure collapsed.

Traffic is being diverted from the area.

City Manager Michael V. O'Brien, at the scene this morning, said the identity of the deceased firefighter is not being made public until family is notified.

The Red Cross is on the scene. Officials said at least 12 people lived in the building.

Rest in Peace Brother. As you all know, about a week ago was the 12th "anniversary" (I hate using that word for this, but I can't think of another one) of the Worcester Cold Storage Fire, that took 6 of Worcester's Firefighters from their families. My thoughts and prayers are with their department and families now, I can't even imagine what they are going through. May the injured FFs also recover quickly.

Everyone out there, watch each others' backs and stay safe.

Rest In Peace Brother. God Bless. Thoughts and prayers are with your family and fellow firefighters.

GBFD102 likes this

What sad news this morning. Worcester, Mass. IAFF Local 1009. We all bear witness once again to them getting hit hard. And news of our Brother lost this morning from Mount Vernon. December 8, 2011. Suddenly another infamous date. While we all commiserate here on the site, waiting for news.....a name....mornings like this one always bring you back full circle to other similar mornings.....

Today feels like....The Father's Day Fire.

Black Sunday.

Manlius, New York.

It's hard to make sense out of these days. Why?

It reminds me that the career fire service in America is actually not all that huge; and how we are all entwined together with a culture created and passed down through generations of firemen.

I cannot help but to think of the outpouring of respect that will be shown for these Brothers. I cannot help but to think of the absolute devastation that has occurred to two separate families this December morning. The trying days...months...years now put before families who only last evening had holiday plans in the works. Christmas forever changed for a lot of people in an instant.

In 2002 I traveled to Colorado Springs to pay respects at the IAFF National Memorial, hosted by IAFF Local 5, Colorado Springs Firefighters. The day before the Remembrance, I had a rented Toyota Four Runner, and decided to drive to the top of Pikes Peak. The Service the next day would be right in front of this mountain, where the Memorial is located.

When I reached the top after a couple of hours drive, standing there in the parking lot of the lodge I recognized the President of Local 1009. "Hey Worcester" I called out.

"Hey, how's it going?" the President of 1009 replied. "You want a beer?"

And so we shared a brew at 14,000 feet and spoke quietly amoungst ourselves.

The irony was not lost on me that there were six Brothers from 1009 standing there.

And now two more names will be chiseled into the face of that black wall out in Colorado Springs. In the shadow of Pikes Peak, surrounded by beauty, yet carved from tragedy.

Once again, Worcester Brothers will make the solemn journey, and this time our Brothers from Mount Vernon will accompany them.

So Rest now...jobs well done, the Lord has called you home.

May you rest in the peace of the angels and the saints! Well done my good and faithfull servent. Rest easy brother!

May he rest in peace. Condolences to the family and WFD.

Rest in peace Brother ... Condolences to family, friends and members of the Worcester F.D.... Speedy recover to the injured Brothers ...

Edited by bad box

My heart felt condolences go out to the members of Worcester MA FD and the family and friends of their member who answer his last alarm on 12/8/11. A loss is very difficult at any age, at any time and under any circumstances. Remember, he will always be with you, no matter what. My family will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers during this most difficult time.

The last alarm

My father was a fireman.

He drove a big red truck

and when he'd go to work each day

he'd say "Mother wish me luck".

Then Dad would not come home again

'til some time the next day.

But the thing that bothered me the most

was the thing's some folks would say,

"A fireman's life is easy,

he eats and sleeps and plays,

and sometime's he won't fight a fire

for days and days and day's".

When I first heard these words

I was to young to understand

but I knew when people had trouble

Dad was there to lend a hand.

Then my father went to work one day

and he kissed us all goodbye

but little did we realize

that night we all would cry.

My father lost his life that night

when the floor gave way below

and I'd wondered why he'd risked his life

for someone he didn't know.

But now I truly realize

the greatest gift a man can give

is to lay his life upon the line

so that someone else might live.

So as we go from day to day

and we pray to God above

say a prayer for your local Firemen.

He may save the one's you love.

Carved in stone at the National Monument for

Fallen Firefighters Colorado Springs, Co.

x129K, eric12401, sfrd18 and 5 others like this

On behalf of the Bethel (CT)Fire Department, we extend our condolences to the family and the Mount Vernon Fire Dept.

Past Chief Phil Valenti

My condolences to the family and friends of FIREFIGHTER JON DAVIES, and the Worcester FD.

And a prayers for a speedy recovery to firefighter Brian Carroll.

RIP Firefighter Jon Davies, and the Worcester FD.

-prayers for a speedy recovery to firefighter Brian Carroll.

Oh Lord, let me die a natural death

Because I don't want to burn.

I have seen so many Lord,

For fresh air they did yearn.

I have held the lifeless body

Of a little child.

Please Lord, let me die a natural death,

Let me stay around a while.

And while I'm praying to you Lord,

There are others next to me,

Provide an exit from this fate

So we can all be free.

But, if in the line of duty

I must go this way,

Let me know before I go

Another I have saved.

RIP Brother Davies!!

sfrd18 likes this

May he Rest in Peace

Rest in Peace Brother and look over the rest of your brothers in Worcester FD. Thank you for your service.

Condolences to his family and members of WFD. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured FF. Rest in peace Brother.

RIP thoughts and prayers to the family and WFD