Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Recertification/Challenge

7 posts in this topic

Got a question. I was state certified EMT from 96-99. I let my certification expire, because I wasn't putting it to use living in NYC. Here's my question. I'm looking to join my local VAC, and since it's been so long, would it be better to go through recertification, or just challenge the state exams?? Thanks.

Recert., if not for you then for your patients and crew. Just because the state gives you the card doesn't mean you know the material and can actually perform on demand (im not saying you wont be able to, but its good to have a certain level of comfort and familiarity). Combine that with the fact that protocols, equipment and techniques can change from year to year (CPR anyone) I would think it would be best to start in a more encompassing program initially than limiting yourself to only challenging the exam.

Im sure you, your crew and your patient will feel a lot more confident knowing you sat for the entire refresher course as opposed to spending a Sunday morning moving between stations.

firedude likes this

i would go through the recertification cause a lot of things have changed from when you got your card and it would be better for you and the patient.

I believe you would have to do a full recert since you've been expired so long. Thankfully long gone are the days of you have to do the entire ORIGINAL class over again, but an entire RECERT class is certainly warranted since a lot of things have changed in 10+ years.

Recert... Never hurts to "re-learn" Good luck!

How many hours are needed for a recert class.