Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Pontiac, MI Shuts Down FD and PD

15 posts in this topic

As of 2-2-12 the city of Pontiac MI will shut down the entire fire dept. Firefighters got there pink slips already and the city will contract with a local FD for service! This not the first place to this nor is it the last !

As of 2-2-12 the city of Pontiac MI will shut down the entire fire dept. Firefighters got there pink slips already and the city will contract with a local FD for service! This not the first place to this nor is it the last !

Do you know if this is a temporary or permenant shutdown?

The PD is shut down also. The City will now contract with the County Sheriff's Office for police services.

The city is a Detroit suburb and has a population around 60,000 in 20 square miles.

From the article:

The merger also brings some expertise to Waterford’s fire department. Waterford has fewer tall buildings and more older, urban structures that require different firefighting skills, said Solden, but Waterford has better technology. He said the combination of the two departments, which would result in some 105 firefighters covering both cities, won’t be noticeable to the average Pontiac resident.

“Pontiac won’t skip a beat and neither will we,” he said. “I’m excited about this.”

All you that think your department is invincible, pay attention to the writing on this wall!

All you that think your department is invincible, pay attention to the writing on this wall!

Not here, they love us and we really dont cost that much (compared to the schools). They would never cut us.

"[The Constitution] was framed upon the theory that the peoples of the several states must sink or swim together, and that in the long run prosperity and salvation are in union and non division" - Benjamin N. Cardozo 1935

Benjamin N. Cardozo served from 1914 - 1926 as a Judge on the NYS Court of Appeals. He was elected from both the Democratic & Republican ticket. In 1926 he was elected to a 14 year term as the states chief judge. He resigned in 1932 to accept an appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court. He served on the Supreme Court until his death in 1938.

The Heart and Soul of the Pontiac Fire Department:

The legacy of the Pontiac Fire Department will never be forgotten. R.I.P.

Edited by sfrd18
JetPhoto and PCFD ENG58 like this

F'n Politicians! :angry: I'd like to eliminate them!

While I agree with you; it looks like they are doing a great job of eliminating career Fire & Police. What's really bothersome is that I feel more of this is coming down the pike; particularly in states like Arizona where the politicians are trying to eliminate collective bargaining altogether in both private and public sector.

what a great video

It's a darn shame. An excellent video indeed.

It's a darn shame. An excellent video indeed.

Yes it's very sad and for someone like me, a civilian, downright scary. A city of 60,000 people is pretty darn big to be shutting down it's police and fire departments and start contracting them out.

What do we contract out next? The US Air Force? <_<

25truck26 likes this

While I agree with you; it looks like they are doing a great job of eliminating career Fire & Police. What's really bothersome is that I feel more of this is coming down the pike; particularly in states like Arizona where the politicians are trying to eliminate collective bargaining altogether in both private and public sector.

Just remember a society that makes war on its police had better make allies with its criminals. Unfortunately I don’t remember who said this. Its one of my favorite quotes.

What do we contract out next? The US Air Force? <_<

But as an emergency service community, we have NO problem contracting out EMS?

Danger likes this

Never say it won't happen. "They love us" only goes so far, the only thing people truly love is their money. If ther is some way these people can save on their taxes you can bet us "greedy" civil servants will pay. How often do you hear about the o/t we make or the fact that we carry our benefits into retirement or some other earned credit we get. You don't hear about a lot of these ceo's and what they get, you hear of some but not all. Think about Westchester, one of the richest counties in the country,how many jobs have merged or talked about merging, regardles if it's FD or PD. Mergers come first, then layoffs, and guess what certain jobs are eliminated. Don't say it can't happen here, it already has begun just in a different format.