Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Cornwall (Orange) - Factory Fire Extra Information

49 posts in this topic

Not sure about the rehab, I assume there's something going on in that respect. Heard the same water main break rumors back when it was still daylight. Unknown if it was ever confirmed. There's a body of water (Moodna Creek?) running near the scene. They could likely draft that if need be.....if they're not already doing so.

Not sure about the rehab, I assume there's something going on in that respect. Heard the same water main break rumors back when it was still daylight. Unknown if it was ever confirmed. There's a body of water (Moodna Creek?) running near the scene. They could likely draft that if need be.....if they're not already doing so.

They were, I've seen photos of them setting up a pump to be able to do so earlier in the day. I thought I just heard something about a water main a little while ago too.

Yea, I saw the old Mack by the rear loading dock by the creek. Good thing they pulled them out of there, or they may have lost the rig and who knows how many responders.

Was that an active industrial park or an abandoned building?

Given the temperatures/wind, where did the IC locate the ICP? I can't imagine just standing outside for hours in teens and single digits.

Edited by Dinosaur

It was an active building but partically abandon after hurricane irene. Command post was located outside near the front of the building.

Believe it may have been abandoned, but don't hold me to it. It did suffer flood damage from the back to back storms in September.

Was that an active industrial park or an abandoned building?

Given the temperatures/wind, where did the IC locate the ICP? I can't imagine just standing outside for hours in teens and single digits.

Orange County Emergency Management has their mobile command post on scene, so ICP is not outside.

My 2 cent rant

It's pretty pathetic that these rumors got started on these social sites that people are missing. This was never the case. I listened to the initial 5 hours of the fire, at no time were maydays ever called. Another thing is at 12:30 it was not a "7th alarm" as some moran put out there. There were a few firefighters that lost radio contact for a very few minutes that's it. What I did hear was there was firefighters who disobeyed command when they were told DO NOT go inside and DO NOT go on the roof. This happened at least 6 times! The radio system in OC is a joke and I blame that. When you have a major fire and you have people using low band, VHF & UHF. It's 2012 assign firegrounds & have firefighting on one channel, water ops on another and so forth.

I will say command sounded like he did a good job and the fact of on 2 firefighters being transported yesterday for minor injuries is great (although we never want any injuries)

Jim

BTW The Poughkeepsie Urinal is getting worse everyday, the fact that all they used was an AP story to cover this fire is ridicules! It's very sad that the Journal News had a reporter on the scene and did a much better job covering the event and the Urinal could have used that information! Now they want to charge to read the "news" screw them!

firedude and TAPSJ like this

My 2 cent rant

It's pretty pathetic that these rumors got started on these social sites that people are missing. This was never the case. I listened to the initial 5 hours of the fire, at no time were maydays ever called. Another thing is at 12:30 it was not a "7th alarm" as some moran put out there. There were a few firefighters that lost radio contact for a very few minutes that's it. What I did hear was there was firefighters who disobeyed command when they were told DO NOT go inside and DO NOT go on the roof. This happened at least 6 times! The radio system in OC is a joke and I blame that. When you have a major fire and you have people using low band, VHF & UHF. It's 2012 assign firegrounds & have firefighting on one channel, water ops on another and so forth.

I will say command sounded like he did a good job and the fact of on 2 firefighters being transported yesterday for minor injuries is great (although we never want any injuries)

Jim

Jim,

I think I know where the missing firefighters comments came from.

About 2 hours into the incident, well AFTER command had broadcast exterior operations only, and within 10 mins of it being announced that fire had extended throughout the rest of the building. A mutual aid unit came up on the radio (46.22 OC Truck-Truck) and advised command that a group of 8 - 10 firefighters lead by Cornwall Firefighter ******* had just entered. Command attempted to call the FF on the radio without success, then called the mutual aid unit who reported it to relay to the crew. His response was we have lost sight of them at this time. This was followed by a 10 - 15 minute period of them attempting to call the FF by name and reach anyone inside. Then that all stopped abruptly, and it was never announced on that channel, which seemed to be commands primary channel, that anyone or everyone was found. It was quite some time later that a similar incident occurred, which then command asked for an official accountability report. So while they may not have been injured or lost, they were most certainly missing.

As far as the OC cluster f*ck that is our radio system, most of the departments in that area of the county are set up to follow the county's UHF fireground system. Unfortunately Orange County's most vocal opponent to the new radio system, and seemingly anything else the county does about standardizing, is Cornwall Chief Hines. This UHF radio system, and more recently the apparatus standards and identifiers has been held up by the Orange County Legislatures Public Safety committee, you can read through those minutes on the Orange County website, under legislature, committees. You'll notice a member with the name of Hines, is quoted a few times making reference to "his chief" and "well I heard from". It is unfortunate that county politics has become so involved with decisions such as this.

Jim,

I think I know where the missing firefighters comments came from.

About 2 hours into the incident, well AFTER command had broadcast exterior operations only, and within 10 mins of it being announced that fire had extended throughout the rest of the building. A mutual aid unit came up on the radio (46.22 OC Truck-Truck) and advised command that a group of 8 - 10 firefighters lead by Cornwall Firefighter ******* had just entered. Command attempted to call the FF on the radio without success, then called the mutual aid unit who reported it to relay to the crew. His response was we have lost sight of them at this time. This was followed by a 10 - 15 minute period of them attempting to call the FF by name and reach anyone inside. Then that all stopped abruptly, and it was never announced on that channel, which seemed to be commands primary channel, that anyone or everyone was found. It was quite some time later that a similar incident occurred, which then command asked for an official accountability report. So while they may not have been injured or lost, they were most certainly missing.

As far as the OC cluster f*ck that is our radio system, most of the departments in that area of the county are set up to follow the county's UHF fireground system. Unfortunately Orange County's most vocal opponent to the new radio system, and seemingly anything else the county does about standardizing, is Cornwall Chief Hines. This UHF radio system, and more recently the apparatus standards and identifiers has been held up by the Orange County Legislatures Public Safety committee, you can read through those minutes on the Orange County website, under legislature, committees. You'll notice a member with the name of Hines, is quoted a few times making reference to "his chief" and "well I heard from". It is unfortunate that county politics has become so involved with decisions such as this.

Sounds like there was a lot of freelancing going on?

Who is Incident Commander at this?

I've heard "Cornwall Car 1" call as that and also "Car 36-1", but I've yet to hear ICS terms like Command, Operations etc.

Warwick E-635 and Winona Lake E-322 both moved up to the Sheriff's command post at the scene

Cornwall car 1 is the IC. Car 36-1 is a county coordinator

Cornwall EMS has been released and returning to quarters

Tanker shuttle operations ceased between 1400 and 1500 hours. According to incident commander operations are going to turn into more of a babysitting mode. Most mutual aid crews were told to begin packing up.

All units with the exception of Cornwall M-401 are back in service. 401 remaining on scene for fire watch.

Thank you 201/65 - It sounded like a radio screw up than anything else