Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

Which Municipal FD's in Westchester

17 posts in this topic

Of the following municipal depts (i.e. not fire districts [please correct if otherwise]) which ones have fire wardens or a board of fire wardens that is still active:

Ardsley

Briarcliff

Croton

Dobbs Ferry

Elmsford

Hastings

Irvington

Mamaroneck (V)

Mt. Kisco

Ossining

Peekskill

Portchester

Sleepy Hollow

Thank you

In Briarcliff we've never had 'wardens' that I'm aware of. The Village Board members also act the Board of Fire Commissioners.

For those of us that are unaware, what is/was a fire warden or board of fire wardens?

For those of us that are unaware, what is/was a fire warden or board of fire wardens?

In some municipal departments (city's or village's), they have a board of fire wardens that over see the FD. Unlike Fire District commisioners they are not publicly elected, they can be appointed or voted in by the FD members.

While they oversee the FD, their budget comes from the village board or city council and in theory they must answer to them (in practice they sometimes dont do it).

Larchmont still has a fire wardens

Croton we have a fire council our governing body 2 members from each company called wardens, 1 alternate and the 3 chiefs

Mt. Kisco has one commissioner from each company. So four make up our board of commissioners for the village and are elected by the companies they originate from.

In Briarcliff, in addition to the Village Board members acting also as the Fire Commissioners, we also have a fire council made up of the three Chiefs and 2 representatives from each of the three companies.

Of the following municipal depts (i.e. not fire districts [please correct if otherwise]) which ones have fire wardens or a board of fire wardens that is still active:

Ardsley

Briarcliff

Croton

Dobbs Ferry

Elmsford

Hastings

Irvington

Mamaroneck (V)

Mt. Kisco

Ossining

Peekskill

Portchester

Sleepy Hollow

Thank you

No Wardens in Port Chester, never was, the village board acts as Commissioners for both fire & police .

No Wardens in Port Chester, never was, the village board acts as Commissioners for both fire & police .

Incorrect Ang, Title VI ss. 3 of the village charter specifically states that the trustees are the Wardens, and may appoint additional wardens and assign duties as they see fit. They have done this in the distant past but I have never been able to nail down what their specific duties were.

Incorrect Ang, Title VI ss. 3 of the village charter specifically states that the trustees are the Wardens, and may appoint additional wardens and assign duties as they see fit. They have done this in the distant past but I have never been able to nail down what their specific duties were.

In my 40 years here never heard the word Warden !

CHIEFPHIL likes this

Ardsley

Briarcliff

Croton

Dobbs Ferry

Elmsford

Hastings

Irvington

Mamaroneck (V)

Mt. Kisco

Ossining

Peekskill

Portchester

Sleepy Hollow

Thank you

Dobbs Ferry still uses the Wardens System with two representatives from each of the three companies

In my 40 years here never heard the word Warden !

Because Warden is a word older than you!!! :P

I had too! Sorry Ang!!! Hahahaha!

The only time I have heard the term Fire Warden used was pre-organized fire protection, basically they were the fire marshals during the colonial era enforcing fire protection rules and for forest fire coordination.

PCFD ENG58 likes this

Mt. Kisco has one commissioner from each company. So four make up our board of commissioners for the village and are elected by the companies they originate from.

They are also appointed by the Village Board after the candidates name is submitted to to the Village.

the town of mamaroneck has 2 wardens from each of the 4 companies and the 3 chiefs which make up the fire council which makes polices for the dept the town board is the board of fire commisioners and they are elected by the voters atthe election in nov.

Edited by spike2231