Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Rye considers change to fire department structure

38 posts in this topic

Rye considers change to fire department structure

RYE — The city council will consider a change in the structure of the Fire Department this week as it forges into sensitive questions about the way the service is managed and run.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120228/NEWS02/302280036/Rye-considers-change-fire-department-structure?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

Another reason why a complete county-wide consolidation plan for fire services makes sense. In the long run, it will save communities tax payer money and allow for efficiencies and better response, with properly trained personnel at fire/emergency sites.

I know that Barry is an expert in this and I am sure that the time spent on his own dime was greatly appreciated by everyone in the City of Rye. However, it appears as if this solution may only be a "band-aid on an open wound" (although the "Open Wound" may take YEARS to ever come to being)

ems-buff and sfrd18 like this

I'm interested to know what the inner conversations that are probably going on at this point. Say what you want if posts are one side...mine often are too...but he fed the beast which I don't understand by still having verbage that fees the pride machine that often stops such progressive advancement with such actions in combination departments. No matter how much common sense it is or how better the department could run and be managed for all.

well here we go again just because a town in this case a city has a problem with retention of volunteers we should go to paid ff'ers typical response hire. people need work the good capt was also a volunteer before new rochelle fd

Edited by spike2231
XChief18 likes this

well here we go again just because a town in this case a city has a problem with retention of volunteers we should go to paid ff'ers typical response hire.

Where in the article does it say that?

And the hiring was to replace a retiring employee And that employee's job function (Fire Inspector) is legally mandated by state law.

M' Ave, jack10562 and Disaster_Guy like this

well here we go again just because a town in this case a city has a problem with retention of volunteers we should go to paid ff'ers typical response hire. people need work the good capt was also a volunteer before new rochelle fd

here is my response.

As a vol myself I wish more places would hire so I could get on the job. Additionally i don't see anything of that nature that being said in the article...

Edited by jack10562
jd783 likes this

Maybe i'm wrong...but if you ask me the article in question is more about the City Council and Mayor desiring a bit more authority and transparency over the Fire Department. Seems like the way it stands now the fire warden board is a bit antiquated and generally operates independently of the City Council....maybe that was fine 70 years ago, but its 2012...i don't see anything wrong with what the City Council is looking for. Especially when there are career staff involved.

If you're really this aggravated about this whole thing, why don't you write in to the City Council or comment at one of their meetings instead of degrading Mr. Nechis? It really seems like some seriously misguided anger.

Edited by Goose
jack10562 likes this

And the alternative is....?

And if he were supreme allied commander what difference would that make?

I just thought I would chime in re: Bnechis.

While we may not always agree, I always value an alternate opinion, especially one based on a wealth of education and experience. I often will check out a topic because I see he has posted on it.

The fire service, both locally and nationally is riddled with important issues affecting our delivery of services, not the least of which is manpower. Maybe someday the information and ideas exchanged and debated on this site will provide some practical solutions that get implemented for the benefit of the fire service and therefore the benefit of the citizens we serve.

jack10562, M' Ave, JM15 and 6 others like this

While we may not always agree, I always value an alternate opinion, especially one based on a wealth of education and experience. I often will check out a topic because I see he has posted on it.

The fire service, both locally and nationally is riddled with important issues affecting our delivery of services, not the least of which is manpower. Maybe someday the information and ideas exchanged and debated on this site will provide some practical solutions that get implemented for the benefit of the fire service and therefore the benefit of the citizens we serve.

Very well said.

I'll say this about the direction this thread went and it has nothing to do with the Rye issue - attacking an advocate because his viewpoint differs from your own is both immature and unprofessional. I have enjoyed reading a lot of threads in which differing viewpoints have been offered and bnechis has always been a strong advocate of the fire service. I don't qualify that with volunteer or career because I believe he is truly an advocate for simply doing it right. Doing it right has nothing to do with pay status.

Just because he doesn't look at things with rose colored glasses and calls things as he sees them doesn't make him wrong.

As I've said countless times feel free to debate the issues but don't attack those with different perspectives than your own.

Carry on...

x4093k, BIGRED1 and Bnechis like this

Took the words right out of my mouth. The Cap has said many things I don't agree with, but more importantly he's said many things that have made me reconsider my position on issues.

Bnechis likes this

If you're really this aggravated about this whole thing, why don't you write in to the City Council or comment at one of their meetings instead of degrading Mr. Nechis?

Because if you can't argue against or attack the facts of information...attack the person.

SteveOFD and SageVigiles like this

Another reason why a complete county-wide consolidation plan for fire services makes sense. In the long run, it will save communities tax payer money and allow for efficiencies and better response, with properly trained personnel at fire/emergency sites.

As a property taxpayer and homeowner I'd like to see the consolidation discussed on upper levels. A lot of places do it and it seems like a county-wide fire service would have a lot to recommend it. In fact I've been surprised at how much support the idea has gotten in prior discussions from the members here who are professional firefighters and officers.

As a bit of a buff I'm interested in how it could work. I guess what I always wonder about is, some of the less densely populated areas of the county. How you would put paid staff into these areas where you'd have a lot of very slow companies?

I guess the answer is it wouldn't be truly county-wide?

But I read the article in question and I think a city like the City of Rye would be one of the municipalities that would greatly gain under a county-wide service (even if it was only southern Westchester). And that's no knock against the firefighters who are currently protecting Rye.

If NYC can scale their coverage for everything from the population dense and call heavy areas like the south bronx to the quiet suburban settings like Douglaston in Queens then the county can do the same.

LA County probably has an even more diverse combination of communities.

Edited by ny10570
M' Ave likes this

If NYC can scale their coverage for everything from the population dense and call heavy areas like the south bronx to the quiet suburban settings like Douglaston in Queens then the county can do the same.

LA County probably has an even more diverse combination of communities.

But NYC didn't have to start it up with dozens of little islands who all have their tribal chiefs, tribal councils (commissioners). What makes sense..doesn't make sense.....move along..nothing to see or hear here...please move along.

Absolutely, that fight will a horrendous slog. I'm purely addressing the concern about providing paid coverage for less densely populated areas. It can be done.

Absolutely, that fight will a horrendous slog. I'm purely addressing the concern about providing paid coverage for less densely populated areas. It can be done.

Of course it can...I couldn't agree with you more...but I'm also not bogged by ridiculous traditions or notions.

As a property taxpayer and homeowner I'd like to see the consolidation discussed on upper levels. A lot of places do it and it seems like a county-wide fire service would have a lot to recommend it. In fact I've been surprised at how much support the idea has gotten in prior discussions from the members here who are professional firefighters and officers.

As a bit of a buff I'm interested in how it could work. I guess what I always wonder about is, some of the less densely populated areas of the county. How you would put paid staff into these areas where you'd have a lot of very slow companies?

I guess the answer is it wouldn't be truly county-wide?

But I read the article in question and I think a city like the City of Rye would be one of the municipalities that would greatly gain under a county-wide service (even if it was only southern Westchester). And that's no knock against the firefighters who are currently protecting Rye.

A countywide system is possible and it could involve volunteers and career members. The old guard has to give up the fiefdoms and start recognizing that consolidation will be a good thing for the future.

PCFD ENG58 and Bnechis like this

But NYC didn't have to start it up with dozens of little islands who all have their tribal chiefs, tribal councils (commissioners). What makes sense..doesn't make sense.....move along..nothing to see or hear here...please move along.

That is not true. They had more independent companies & chiefs than we do. The level of BS was so bad that Albany passed a special law to create the "Fire Department of the City of New York" hense FDNY.

"Fire Department of the City of New York" hense FDNY.

If Albany passed a law to create "Fire Department of the City of New York", should we be calling it FDCNY ???

If Albany passed a law to create "Fire Department of the City of New York", should we be calling it FDCNY ???

Sh!t, you're right.....better dust of the "C" stencil!! I have a feeling my index finger will be red by the end of my next tour... ;)

Seriously though....the county wide system (perhaps omitting a couple of cities in the Westchester case) would provide terrific service and at a cut rate to the taxpayer. Cut down on apparatus and firehouses. Consolidate Volunteer companies in fewer and the most centrally located firehouses and then add some career staffed companies strategically throughout the county. Look at some of the counties around Baltimore and D.C., seems to be a decent model....

Sh!t, you're right.....better dust of the "C" stencil!! I have a feeling my index finger will be red by the end of my next tour... ;)

Seriously though....the county wide system (perhaps omitting a couple of cities in the Westchester case) would provide terrific service and at a cut rate to the taxpayer. Cut down on apparatus and firehouses. Consolidate Volunteer companies in fewer and the most centrally located firehouses and then add some career staffed companies strategically throughout the county. Look at some of the counties around Baltimore and D.C., seems to be a decent model....

Agree totally !! (Except it has to be a total countywide consolidation, no omissions of any cities, for it to work properly)

Agree totally !! (Except it has to be a total countywide consolidation, no omissions of any cities, for it to work properly)

I agree completely; if they are going to consolidate, it has to be all county-wide; none of these so-called exceptions. All firefighters should be fungible was well if its going to be a county fire department.

Don't be so quick to make it an all or nothing approach. Here in Palm Beach County, and for that matter in much of Florida, the fire service is provided on a County wide basis although the larger cities maintain their own departments. Palm Beach, West Palm Beach among others have separate departments from the county. Some cities have recently meerged their independent departments into the County however. One was Lake Worth which merged both its Fire and Police into the County departments in order to save money.

My village is served by four Palm Beach County stations each of which house a paremedic 'rescue' (Ambulance), engine and brush truck. A neighboring station just outside my village maintains a 'tanker', they call them tenders down here, and other stations house ladder trucks and other specialized apparatus.

The County response area has everything from rural farms to urban high rises, factories, industrial, anything and everything to concern the fire service. And, while the County is a paid department, they also maintain a volunteer battalion as well.

There are examples of consolidation everywhere if you look for them and many include paid and volunteer companies working together. You just have to cut through the bull and maybe that can happen with the next generation of volunteers once the current old timers are replaced.

M' Ave likes this

I have been hearing from a number of fire inspectors in different towns, that many depts are no longer get even the 1st due rig out the door for AFAs. I know depts that can not get enough drivers (with no other crews) to pull the trucks out.

Yes its still going to be a slog, but at the current rate, it will not be long before depts will face the fact that they are not able to meet the primary objectives of their dept.

Don't be so quick to make it an all or nothing approach. Here in Palm Beach County, and for that matter in much of Florida, the fire service is provided on a County wide basis although the larger cities maintain their own departments. Palm Beach, West Palm Beach among others have separate departments from the county. Some cities have recently meerged their independent departments into the County however. One was Lake Worth which merged both its Fire and Police into the County departments in order to save money.

My village is served by four Palm Beach County stations each of which house a paremedic 'rescue' (Ambulance), engine and brush truck. A neighboring station just outside my village maintains a 'tanker', they call them tenders down here, and other stations house ladder trucks and other specialized apparatus.

The County response area has everything from rural farms to urban high rises, factories, industrial, anything and everything to concern the fire service. And, while the County is a paid department, they also maintain a volunteer battalion as well.

There are examples of consolidation everywhere if you look for them and many include paid and volunteer companies working together. You just have to cut through the bull and maybe that can happen with the next generation of volunteers once the current old timers are replaced.

Same up here in Orange county (and Seminole, Polk, Marion, Lake, Sumter for that matter)... The county provides fire protection for much of the unincorporated areas as well as smaller municipalities... where the City of Orlando, Winter Park, Maitland, Apopka, Ocoee, and Reedy Creek (Disney) among others maintain their own FD/PD. The most important thing though is that these departments are much more keyed in with the county wide system of dispatch, aid, and overall operations than anything in the NY metro area.

Same up here in Orange county (and Seminole, Polk, Marion, Lake, Sumter for that matter)... The county provides fire protection for much of the unincorporated areas as well as smaller municipalities... where the City of Orlando, Winter Park, Maitland, Apopka, Ocoee, and Reedy Creek (Disney) among others maintain their own FD/PD. The most important thing though is that these departments are much more keyed in with the county wide system of dispatch, aid, and overall operations than anything in the NY metro area.

Same down here in Monroe County, but we also have village depts., as well as city depts.

Maybe we all need to head down to Florida and "take some notes" on how they did their consolidation. We should only need about a month, or two, Start in the Keys, and work north!

beach front would be preferable...:lol:

George, Tom?

helicopper and efdcapt115 like this

Maybe we all need to head down to Florida and "take some notes" on how they did their consolidation. We should only need about a month, or two, Start in the Keys, and work north!

beach front would be preferable...:lol:

George, Tom?

Come on down... We can golf fish lounge, etc... And Im related to one of the key authors of the consolidation language for Orange County.... Business with pleasure!!!!

jack10562 likes this

We border Baltimore City to the south, and we have a county FD(Anne Arundel) and a city FD (Annapolis). The county is combination and the city is all paid. We share dispatch, radios, and the training academy, but Annapolis maintains its own equipment, its own personnel systems, and structure. The running assignments are automatic aid based, so depending on where the call is or avaliability of units you may get city units or county units.

Be safe,

JR