Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paratrooper75

Vulcan Society and racism in the FDNY

35 posts in this topic

Breaking News: White kids turned away today at 7pm at Queens high school by the Vulcan Society! The Vulcans running the prep class for the upcoming firefighter exam told the white kids, "If you are not on a previous vulcan list, you can not come in."..... What is going on?!?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/fanning_racial_fires_S5xwhBS0hIgoVSZQjXuDLK

Edited by paratrooper75

The Vulcan Society IS Racism in the FDNY. This is a group with one agenda and they do not care about how they achieve their goal. Every day they operate is another day they do damage to the FDNY, the services it renders and the lives of New York City residents.

Just a guy, x129K, sfrd18 and 12 others like this

Just trashed my exam ticket. Dealing with ridiculousness is a waste of time. We all know who the city is looking to hire.

x129K and Just a guy like this

this is why the last two list's got sh*t canned !

x129K likes this

Just trashed my exam ticket. Dealing with ridiculousness is a waste of time. We all know who the city is looking to hire.

Don't do it Goose. Don't give in. I'm wondering (the JFK conspiracy theorist within) if this wasn't a staged event pulled off by the perpetrators knowing it might accomplish exactly what you just said; try to discourage people from participating? Hmmm....

Whatever their "illogical" reason might have been, don't give up. It's worth the fight!

BFD1054 and batt2 like this

How, or why, in this day and age are they still allowed to have such a group. Emerald Societies are a different animal - they really have no "political" pull....they exist to CELEBRATE heritage...not rally against others!

Do not do it man. The job needs guys who'll put in the effort and if you DO, you'll get the job.

Ok I am not picking sides and not definitely not agreeing with the Vulcan Society but I am just curious after reading the article: How many people in total were turned away. Aside from the 60 white males that were refused entrance for lack of a "email acceptance ticket" were any other people turned away and what were their demographics. What I am getting at is: Is this truly an issue or is it a convenient non-issue that coupled with a high profile and albeit blood-sucking group that wants to hand jobs away at the expense of better trained candidates in the name of race equality is being made into an issue. Just my two cents.

PS. Goose, trashing your ticket is a knee jerk reaction that you will regret later. Don't do it. The only one that is paying in that scenario is you not the Vulcans. You want to make a difference study, score high, join the job and make a difference there.

Edited by PEMO3

You are correct the vulcans are a racist group ! All they have been doin is complaining about the test. So what happens there going to make test so easy that a normal 3rd grader could pass it . I hope most of the "black" if not all fail the test , then I wanna see what the judge will do next. I'm still waiting for the next lawsuit from all the people that passed the last one that are now to old ? Also the extra points for living in the city to me thats discrimination against everyone living outside the city. I just feel bad for all the "blacks" that have tried so hard to get on this job and did and are not part of the vulcans. It kinda gives them a bad name

Do not do it man. The job needs guys who'll put in the effort and if you DO, you'll get the job.

Not sure the playing field is that level anymore.

JM15 likes this

I know the FDNY and FDMV have a VS, does Yonkers or NewRo?

Ok I am not picking sides and not definitely not agreeing with the Vulcan Society but I am just curious after reading the article: How many people in total were turned away. Aside from the 60 white males that were refused entrance for lack of a "email acceptance ticket" were any other people turned away and what were their demographics. What I am getting at is: Is this truly an issue or is it a convenient non-issue that coupled with a high profile and albeit blood-sucking group that wants to hand jobs away at the expense of better trained candidates in the name of race equality is being made into an issue. Just my two cents.

I share your sentiment. The article leaves some unanswered questions. Was preregistering a condition of attending? If so, did anyone who preregistered actually get turned away? I mean we have members of this forum who seemed to have gotten in, and even the quote in the news seems to indicate most sessions went off without a hitch, no? This is often the problem in emotional battles like this one. Make sense the issue your going to hang your hat on is solid. Not just in the Vulcans case, but in general. I mean, if there was a condition of preregistering and everyone who did was admitted, what are your grounds? In order to build public sentiment, you want your argument solid. You don't want it undermined.

I know the FDNY and FDMV have a VS, does Yonkers or NewRo?

Lost my chance to get hired in New Roc back in 1970's something because of the vulcan society, got interviewed then the list was thrown out !

I just placed a call to the vulcan society. I was informed that if you signed up for the FDNY exam and were chosen by the society to recieve an email you are invited to the test preps. That is all.

Disgraceful, the 2007 test is in appeals now. I hope all this bs just helps our cause and gets the ruling overturned.

Corrected youtube address plus the description of the video:

This black FDNY lieutenant tries to explain to these white fire fighter applicants that they aren't on a certain list to be allowed into the FDNY test prep. This is supposedly the Vulcan society member in charge of the test prep event. Some of the people in this video were waiting on a line to enter the test prep building for up to an hour and a half before the required entry time, yet they were barred from the classes (while black candidates were allowed to pass by them) because they weren't on some list. He was unable to tell us how the list was generated and said that it was too late to be allowed entry now. The email that the Vulcan society sent out says that you could either send them your information at any time to be allowed entry to the test prep; or just show up at any site on any day. The NYPD was called to dispatch us from the building. After we were outside the gates of the school, two black fire fighter candidates were allowed entry into the building.

youtube credit: bigxbry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqzKlbvRqI

Not sure the playing field is that level anymore.

Question: Isn't the test just the first part of the whole process for the FDNY? Isn't there a physical agility testing, interview, other "screenings", and then you have to make it in one piece through the whole academy before actually getting the job you are hopefully both qualified for and actually wanted all along without someone targeting and chasing after you for possible employment (to meet the quota that apparently exists)? As the wannabe's and unqualifieds fall by the wayside, doesn't that open it up for the others, if this is the Real World?

Question: Isn't the test just the first part of the whole process for the FDNY? Isn't there a physical agility testing, interview, other "screenings", and then you have to make it in one piece through the whole academy before actually getting the job you are hopefully both qualified for and actually wanted all along without someone targeting and chasing after you for possible employment (to meet the quota that apparently exists)? As the wannabe's and unqualifieds fall by the wayside, doesn't that open it up for the others, if this is the Real World?

Well, unfortunately, the written is the major deciding factor. The physical is now Pass/Fail and it's a breeze (The CPAT). There is no interview.

Too bad everyone who was ACTUALLY discrminated against in all the previous lists that the Vulcans have disputed couldn't all get together, and file a class-action lawsuit against the City of New York and the Vulcan Society..

BFD1054, JM15, x129K and 4 others like this

Its sad that this is still an issue today in our country and that reverse discrimination goes unchecked...but if it were the other way around you'd see Al Sharpton, Charles Baron, Charlie "crook" Rangel all at the podium.

I mean I know of another form of discrimination...rightfully holding back from promotions persons simply because they took a test and got hired despite having more qualifications then they had when they held the same "title" when not getting a pay check.

99subi, abaduck, M' Ave and 4 others like this

Its sad that this is still an issue today in our country and that reverse discrimination goes unchecked...but if it were the other way around you'd see Al Sharpton, Charles Baron, Charlie "crook" Rangel all at the podium.

I mean I know of another form of discrimination...rightfully holding back from promotions persons simply because they took a test and got hired despite having more qualifications then they had when they held the same "title" when not getting a pay check.

100%! However, lets all stop using the word "reverse". Discrimination is discrimination, and that's that. If the Emerald Society held prep classes and held all the black applicants at the door, you'd have every news agency in the country camped outside with a mic in Al Sharpton's face.

99subi, BFD1054, Just a guy and 3 others like this

100%! However, lets all stop using the word "reverse". Discrimination is discrimination, and that's that. If the Emerald Society held prep classes and held all the black applicants at the door, you'd have every news agency in the country camped outside with a mic in Al Sharpton's face.

I agree with you brother...but just for the sake of being able to frame it for a way easier for the readers mind..its the easiest way to describe it and a few less words to type. ;)

M' Ave likes this

I'd love to see it happen. Have the society send out e-mails, saying only if you get this, you may attend. When the black applicants cry foul and the media shows up, you have the full attention of many, and can explain, "well they did it, so why are we different?" It would put Sharpton in a bit of a corner.

And I know what they say about the moral high-ground, but.....

It would put Sharpton in a bit of a corner.

No it wouldn't. He would do the same thing he always does, ignore the facts and yell louder than the other guy.

Not to mention it would taint the Emerald Society's tradition of staying out of these kinds of political games. Sinking to their level is not going to solve this. The courts are.

No it wouldn't. He would do the same thing he always does, ignore the facts and yell louder than the other guy.

Well I guess that also comes with selective hearing.

Not to mention it would taint the Emerald Society's tradition of staying out of these kinds of political games. Sinking to their level is not going to solve this. The courts are.

The courts have already ruled in favor of the vulcan society, whether or not the city wants that judge gone. It happened. Somehow I see this issue lingering around for quite a while longer.

It would put Sharpton in a bit of a corner.

I'd disagree, you can't give Sharpton any event. In so many cases only one side has to tell the truth, in this case, it won't be Sharpton. Give him a spotlight and he'll take it and people will believe him, because it's what they want to believe. Ever notice how it's easy to believe what you want and much more difficult when you strongly disagree?

SageVigiles likes this

From my own experience, The true racists are within the ranks of the Vulcans, not all of them! Equal Rights are not what this "Fraternal " group stands for!!!

x129K, PCFD ENG58, M' Ave and 1 other like this

Does anyone know if any women, latinos and asians were turned away? After all the Vulture Society is suppose to represent them too being that they are also considered minorities within the FDNY, right? Yeah OK! That Society couldn't give a rats a** about those other ethnicities! They have one agenda and that's replace "quality" with "quantity" and in the long run it's the taxpayers who will suffer. I gotta give Bloomberg credit though at least he puts up a fight and won't bow down to these mutts!

M' Ave likes this