Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Norwich, CT off-duty death

12 posts in this topic

CT firefighters received sad news today from the Norwich Fire Department IAFF Local 892.

Ben DeMond was tragically killed in a multi-car accident in I-395 in Montville yesterday. His vehicle was struck by a drunk driver while traveling south on the interstate near CSP Troop E's barracks. His two children were in the car with him and received non-life threatening injuries.

Arrangements will be posted when available.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/newsnow/x75611569/Norwich-firefighter-killed-in-Friday-car-accident#axzz1okjJuz4N

http://www.local892.org/

Edited by IzzyEng4

RIP FF DeMond.

Thoughts and prayers to his family, the NFD and especially his children.

What a horrible tragedy.

x129K likes this

Tragic. Thoughts and prayers.

IzzyEng4 likes this

I knew Ben well. But I never had the privilage of working with him as I had retired earlier. Ben was in Great physical shape and he Loved the Job. I would see him working a few of those jobs and I could easily tell that he was into it.

I just recently saw Ben when I stopped down to the firehouse to visit my Brothers. In his style, Ben shook my hand in a firm grip and said "good to see ya Cap". He was a very respectful firefighter and he had the respect of every member in the dept.

Bens two children, ages 4 and 6 were also seriously injuried in that accident and taken to Childrens Hospital in Hartford. According to my Norwich Brothers, the Hartford Firefighters have been stopping by to give support to the family during this very tragic time. My Norwich Brothers are very Thankful for what these Hartford members are doing.

For me, I'll miss you my Brother Ben. You were taken away much too soon. Thank you for serving the citizens of Norwich, and may you Rest in Peace there Brother.

Edited by nfd2004

Willy, I had the privileged meeting Ben not long after I got hired by Mashantucket. I met him during a Hazmat Class up at Norwich FD HQ. He was a class act and all around nice guy.

Tragic. Thoughts and prayers go out to the children. RIP Brother.

The arrangements are tomorrow 3-13-12 at the Norwich Free Acadamy, starting at 15:00. This is a memorial service as requested by the family in lieu of a funeral. Additional information can be found on Local 892's website (link above on my first post).