Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ckroll

Any contingency plans with AMVETS bridge closed?

18 posts in this topic

Does anyone have contingency plans/clever ideas on the table for getting to WMC with AMVETS closed? For those of us on the Taconic corridor, these are going to be interesting times.

I don't see the big deal. Over the past few years several portions of the NB or SB Taconic have neen closed for construction. This is no different. During peak usage it will back up severely at the bottle neck. I'm guessing that will be the morning commute and Sunday nights. If you're trying for WMC during these periods I guess Rt 100, Rt 9 or 684 would be your best alternatives.

Edited by partyrock
fireboyny likes this

My contingency plan was asking to keep the helicopter at my house but I was promptly laughed out of the boss's office. :P

The idea for an eight month vacation didn't go over any better.

Rush hour will be the worst time in both directions but they are at least trying to "lessen the blow" with tow trucks (and I'm sure HELP trucks and additional SP) posted there to move disabled/accident vehicles as quickly as possible. That's about as proactive as you'll see in NY.

My contingency plan was asking to keep the helicopter at my house but I was promptly laughed out of the boss's office. :P

The idea for an eight month vacation didn't go over any better.

Rush hour will be the worst time in both directions but they are at least trying to "lessen the blow" with tow trucks (and I'm sure HELP trucks and additional SP) posted there to move disabled/accident vehicles as quickly as possible. That's about as proactive as you'll see in NY.

Bet your boss would have said yes if you said the word "helicopter-pool". :lol:

You should check with 60 Control before you commit to the TSP. They have access to the traffic cameras at TMC and can tell you how the traffic is moving in the area. With narrow lanes and no shoulders, any incident on the bridge will probably shut down the road completely.

Taconic State Parkway N/B Bridge Overhaul

According to Yorktown's Fire Alarm Assignment Map, a large area of the southern part of their district is non-hydrant. With the 2 YHFD stations located in the northern part of town, I'm sure they relied on the TSP for calls in that southern district. I'm sure they have found roads that they can use to avoid the TSP (also, hold the weight of their tanker).

Edited by firedude
fireboyny likes this

Will the other bridge be able to support the increased traffic? And once this bridge is done, are they going to be doing the other one?

I love the mentality that "a new bridge will cost $250 million, but this fix will only cost $25 million". Even though there is a drastic difference in numbers, what would be the cost of doing it right the first time and replacing the bridge? $25 million now, and $250 million how much farther down there road? And that bridge would cost $250 million to replace? Will this refurbished bridge be capable of adding lanes or shoulders?

And if you replaced the bridge, you wouldn't have to neccarily shut down the entire bridge.

The Sprain and Taconic are major highways from Dutchess, Putnam, and Westchester nowadays. They really need some serious upgrading all around, especially north of the Jefferson Valley Mall exit. Heck, now that high speed no-toll-plaza toll tags and license plate readers are here and replacing E-Z Pass, make it a toll road to offset some costs.

Heck, now that high speed no-toll-plaza toll tags and license plate readers are here and replacing E-Z Pass, make it a toll road to offset some costs.

Spoken like someone not effected by the tolls. Sounds like a knee jerk reaction not a solution to a problem. :angry:

Edited by PEMO3

Will the other bridge be able to support the increased traffic? And once this bridge is done, are they going to be doing the other one?

I love the mentality that "a new bridge will cost $250 million, but this fix will only cost $25 million". Even though there is a drastic difference in numbers, what would be the cost of doing it right the first time and replacing the bridge? $25 million now, and $250 million how much farther down there road? And that bridge would cost $250 million to replace? Will this refurbished bridge be capable of adding lanes or shoulders?

And if you replaced the bridge, you wouldn't have to neccarily shut down the entire bridge.

The Sprain and Taconic are major highways from Dutchess, Putnam, and Westchester nowadays. They really need some serious upgrading all around, especially north of the Jefferson Valley Mall exit. Heck, now that high speed no-toll-plaza toll tags and license plate readers are here and replacing E-Z Pass, make it a toll road to offset some costs.

The diversion will not be a significant strain on the other bridge. While it will now be carrying 4 lanes of traffic and 2x as many cars they will be crossing at a slower speed and only for a relatively short period of time. The parallel span was built in the 70's with much more accurate design life numbers. The original planners never foresaw the volume and type of traffic the road sees today. The Taconic is a meandering parkway built to avoid established communities, access parks, and provide scenic views of the Hudson Valley. The original speed limit was 40 mph, while today doing less than 70 keeps you out of the left lane. I haven't heard anything about a major overhaul of that bridge.

I couldn't even guess at the cost to replace the bridge. Champlain was about 75 million and the Tap is up in the Billions, but if the cost isn't close to the $1 million per year of service life then going rehab is the easy choice. Especially when you look at the list of deficient bridges across the state. To replace the bridge you wither have to build alongside the bridge or shut it down. The added cost of road reconstruction and site preparation only make the replacement option more costly.

More tolls are great if you don't use that road or live anywhere near it. Tolls would push huge amounts of traffic onto surrounding roads and virtually eliminate southbound traffic coming from 84.

post-17100-0-97229800-1332779336.jpg

Yortown Police Chief Daniel McMahon speaks at a NYS DOT information session. Photo credit:Jennifer Swift, The Daily

Emergency Crews Ready for Taconic Traffic

YORKTOWN, N.Y. — Emergency crews say they're prepared for major traffic delays and potentially crippling gridlock after the eight-month long rehabilitation of the AMVETS Memorial Bridge began Sunday evening.

Full The Daily Bedford Article

The amount of time this bridge will be closed to be fixed aka giant band aid is a long time for its users and neighborhoods BUT now this means it will have to happen AGAIN when they decide to totally replace it.

BUT THIS IS NEW YORK! Why do things the right way the first time.

The amount of time this bridge will be closed to be fixed aka giant band aid is a long time for its users and neighborhoods BUT now this means it will have to happen AGAIN when they decide to totally replace it.

BUT THIS IS NEW YORK! Why do things the right way the first time.

The bridge was built in 1931. Why would you call this a band aid? Unlike the TZB this bridge was built to last, and it has. A major overhaul once every 75-80 (81 in this case) years seems very reasonable to me. The cost of a new bridge would be north of 100million and would probably require a similar overhaul in the same or less time.

Edited by mfc2257
helicopper likes this

Jetphoto called it a Bandaid because that is exactly what it is a big expensive bandaid. Lets face it New York is not exactly know for its top quality, cost effective, on time highway projects. All one needs to do is look at the route 287 bandaid. This mornings rush hour was more of an amputation than a bandaid with the Taconic at a standstill and 9A equally as bad from Montrose to Briarcliff. The lights on 9A seemed to not be able to handle the massive amount of extra volume. Timed to short and out of sync.

Jetphoto called it a Bandaid because that is exactly what it is a big expensive bandaid. Lets face it New York is not exactly know for its top quality, cost effective, on time highway projects. All one needs to do is look at the route 287 bandaid. This mornings rush hour was more of an amputation than a bandaid with the Taconic at a standstill and 9A equally as bad from Montrose to Briarcliff. The lights on 9A seemed to not be able to handle the massive amount of extra volume. Timed to short and out of sync.

Drawing a comparison between the Tappan Zee bridge reconstruction and the renovation on the Taconic State Parkway is like comparing World War II to Vietnam. Bridge on the Taconic State Parkway was well engineered well-built and has served properly for 81 years and it is in need of maintenance and renovation so that I can continue to serve probably for another 80 years. The Tappan Zee bridge on the other hand was always designed to be a throwaway and has outlived its engineered life by decades. I'm not debating that New York State Department of Transportation does not make good decisions with regard to infrastructure spending and forward thinking however I don't think this is the case with the bridge on the Taconic State Parkway

Spoken like someone not effected by the tolls. Sounds like a knee jerk reaction not a solution to a problem. :angry:

Why is it a "knee jerk" reaction? Maybe they can just add it to the gas tax.

New York State is addressing projects that were planned and designed 10-20 years ago. They need to start working on the next generation of highway systems in the state, instead of continually putting seperate band aids on each and every problem.

Also, what about putting a commuter rail in the middle median of the Taconic? Link it with a Tappan Zee projects into hubs on the Hudson and Harlem lines? Why not focus on getting people OFF the roadways? I'm sure some commuters would rather spend time on a train reading or working wirelessly then driving.

But, we're digressing from the point that this is going to have a serious effect on emergency responders. If this bridge project problem had been addressed from the start, there would be no need for such a massive shutdown project.

Rail is very expensive. Until gas prices go up dramatically cars will still be the cheaper form of transport. The taconic median is no good as a rail right if way. Huge sections don't have the wide median, access for stations, and space for stations doesn't exist, and many sections feature grades not suitable for rail traffic. Before additional north south lines are built east west connections would have a much bigger impact on road congestion and rail utilization.

Yes, the repair is a bandaid; but its a 30 year bandaid. I can't find the environmental impact statement anymore, but I believe the engineering is for a 30 year service life with improvements in structural safety and maintenance efficiency. They studied replacement, but the repair got similar returns on their investment. With as many bridges as the state has to repair/replace in this economy bang for the buck right now is paramount.