Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Helmet Identification Help

7 posts in this topic

I was hoping somebody on here could help me identify some stuff about this old helmet I have.

Here's what I know about it so far:

1. Its from Minisink Hook and Ladder in Goshen, NY

2. It was worn by one of the first 3 Chiefs of Minisink H&L.

3. Its a Bullard helmet made in San Francisco.

Here's what I'd LIKE to know.

1. Around what year it was manufactured/used (roughly)

2. The significance of the paint scheme.

It appears that the helmet was red previously and was then painted with this black-over-white scheme. I BELIEVE the red on the top of the shield is because Minisink is primarily a truck company, but if someone could confirm or correct that for me I'd appreciate it.

post-5878-0-30426400-1332775894.jpg

post-5878-0-64528900-1332775915.jpg

post-5878-0-00264000-1332775931.jpg

post-5878-0-69529500-1332775945.jpg

I know this one is really crappy but oh well.

post-5878-0-64361800-1332775967.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks! I figured it had to be 50's or 60's based on the time period they were Chiefs, but I had no definitive way of knowing.

Anyone else?

It appears as if someone stuck a regular old hat badge on the front panel decal as an ID.

More or less, yes. I've actually ordered a duplicate of the badge for my collection.

I may have an idea regarding the paint scheme. In Golden's Bridge, the Chief traditionally wore a solid white helmet. However, the Assistant Chiefs wore black helmets with a horizontal white band that fully encircled the dome of the helmet. This was in order to distinguish the Chief from his Assistants. Over time, we eventually evolved to all three Chiefs wearing solid white helmets in the 1970s. This half black, half white paint scheme may be a different variation of this traditional practice.

x129K likes this

I may have an idea regarding the paint scheme. In Golden's Bridge, the Chief traditionally wore a solid white helmet. However, the Assistant Chiefs wore black helmets with a horizontal white band that fully encircled the dome of the helmet. This was in order to distinguish the Chief from his Assistants. Over time, we eventually evolved to all three Chiefs wearing solid white helmets in the 1970s. This half black, half white paint scheme may be a different variation of this traditional practice.

Thanks! That's the kind of thing I'm wondering. It also crossed my mind that this may be sort of an Ex-Chief/Deputy Chief designation for those who have left the position.