Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Quick Trip To Houston

10 posts in this topic

Recently, I had some extra time to take a quick,brief trip down south to Houston. While I was on my way down to Houston, the apparatus I was going to photograph was involved in an MVA and will be out of service for a while. At least I didn't decide to north to go to Dallas-Fort Worth. Got a late start, was going to leave at 5AM but the weather people predicted storms in every city I like to go take photos in. So I slept late, woke up at 9AM, and it was bright and sunny. Go figure.

I got a couple good shots, not as many as I would have liked, though

NEW Houston Engine 12

"Moody Park"

2012 Ferrara Inferno-Just Delivered

post-11-0-89997700-1333498109.jpg

Houston PD "Bring To Scene" Helicpoter

post-11-0-77818400-1333498212.jpg

Houston FD Rescue 11

200? Pierce Arrow XT (SAFER Grant Funded)

post-11-0-55131200-1333498345.jpg

Houston FD Breathing Air Unit RC1

post-11-0-67853500-1333498455.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Just curious, what is the purpose of a "bring to the scene" helicopter. Anyone have info on when it would be used? Obviously cheaper than a full scale bird.

Seth, nice job on the photos! Yes, be glad you didn't come up here. Tornadoes hit Kennedale, Arlington, Lancaster, Forney, and South Dallas.

Nice Shots!

Just curious, what is the purpose of a "bring to the scene" helicopter. Anyone have info on when it would be used? Obviously cheaper than a full scale bird.

I can almost guarantee that bird doesn't fly, so it has to be for Public Education.

I wouldn't be so sure. Lots of those little Mosquitos are trailered around. They don't have big fuel tanks nor are they comfortable for long flights so they arrive by trailer get in the air for what they need and land back on the trailer. Another example of trailering to the scene is for agricultural aviation. Why incur the fuel and flying costs when you can bring the bird to its job behind a pickup that burns pump fuel.

(*)

Edited by mfc2257
PEMO3, FF398 and x635 like this

I can almost guarantee that bird doesn't fly, so it has to be for Public Education.

Oh, it flies. I just got some more info. The Schweizer 300 is used at special events and for training. They can bring it easily to disaster scenes and special events. It is a small part of a very large aviation program.

They have 10 2009'ish MD500E's that work regular patrol, 1 Bell 412EP, and 1 Cessena 182 that's used for travel statewide.

They got an ex-NYPD refurbished and upgraded Bell412EP for special mission use, but I don't know how they are figuring that in. This helicopter is configured for rescues during flooding, SWAT use, and other duties as well as patrol.

I know Houston PD has an Aviation program that has two helicopters in the air at least 21 hours a day. The Air Support Division is the second larget in the country, behind LAPD. They cover nearly 800 square miles, and can be at a scene within minutes. And they don't have to sit in the horrible Houston traffic, lol.

In 2011, the "Fox" units were in the air for almost 8,000 hours, responded to over 16,000 calls, and played a part in over 1,000 arrests. They are based at Hobby Airport in Houston, TX. They are law enforcement only, and don't do anything else (they do search and rescue and other duties, but mostly law enforcement related).

They have 80 Sworn HPD Pilots and HPD Sworn Flight Officers, in addition to numerous civilian support personel.

They were formed in 1970, with helicopters from the Hughes Corporation (as in Howard Hughes, who was from Houston. Both aircraft are decendants from Hughes models. The MD's arenow produce by MD Helicopters, which is owned by the same holding company as American Lafrance.

HPD aviationThey have been affected by usual budgetary issue and political games, but they've made their cases and even though they are still a playing card, they continue to maintain their standard routine and staffing.

Note: The department's museum has the orignal HFD helicopter on display.

BFD1054 likes this

Thanks for the info. However, FAA records show that the aircraft with tail number N7494F is a 1975 Hughes 269C aircraft that crashed in 1991 and its certification was deregistered. So, according to the FAA, it's not airworthy. Also, most Hughes 269C has 3 rotor blades, not 2. They possibly put 2 on there so it could be road legal. It also looks like the rotor blades were shortened so they don't go farther then the trailer. Also, if you look on the landing skids, they appear to be permanently tied down by a metal clap to the trailer.

JScott128 likes this

Thanks for the info. However, FAA records show that the aircraft with tail number N7494F is a 1975 Hughes 269C aircraft that crashed in 1991 and its certification was deregistered. So, according to the FAA, it's not airworthy

Thanks. I stand corrected.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1064302/

However, HPD still flies this type of helicopter.

Also, I forgot to note. Rescue 11, the Pierce Arrow XT Tractor Trailer, runs just like a regular rescue company, with a crew of 5.