Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County PD ESU Vehicle

32 posts in this topic

I'm guessing ESU... Anyone know how old their current truck is? Plus, I would have painted the hood blue as well, IMO.

Hope it goes to fleet day :D !

Is ESU and SRT the same unit?

Last photo has a Holmatro tool in the rear compartment. Truely an ESU vehicle or something along those lines.

87D124 likes this

Westchester Has an ESU program already I believe, so probably just updating apparatus.

Westchester Has an ESU program already I believe, so probably just updating apparatus.

To my knowledge, they don't have an ESU Program, just a SRT

Special Response Team

The Special Response Team is a group of highly trained and specially equipped police officers who respond to emergencies requiring advanced police tactics. The SRT is deployed in high-risk warrant executions, forced building entries, hostage situations, barricaded subjects and other incidents requiring specialized weapons, tactics or equipment. As with all services offered by the county police, the SRT is available to all law enforcement agencies in the county.

From: http://publicsafety.westchestergov.com/shared-services

To my knowledge, they don't have an ESU Program, just a SRT

They have had ESU for at least 30 years. They provided the "jaws of life" on all the parkways, long before most FD's in the county had them.

x129K, Pagers, 87D124 and 4 others like this

They have had ESU for at least 30 years. They provided the "jaws of life" on all the parkways, long before most FD's in the county had them.

Thanks, Barry. The County PD had an ESU long before it had SWAT (SRT).

This is just a new vehicle for them.

Pagers likes this

I've been hearing "Truck 1" on WCPD radio.

I remember years ago "25 Car" was the ESU Truck.

WCPD disbanded ESU several years ago and I always felt that was a bad move.

WCPD patrol a lot of the parkways and are often first on the scene of motor vehicle accidents and serious incidents.

Has the Westchester County PD ESU Truck been put back into service?

I've been hearing "Truck 1" on WCPD radio.

I remember years ago "25 Car" was the ESU Truck.

WCPD disbanded ESU several years ago and I always felt that was a bad move.

WCPD patrol a lot of the parkways and are often first on the scene of motor vehicle accidents and serious incidents.

Has the Westchester County PD ESU Truck been put back into service?

The ESU has been back for some time just with regular post designations. The new truck is nothing more than that, a new truck.

The ESU has been back for some time just with regular post designations. The new truck is nothing more than that, a new truck.

Just curious, what are some of its regular post designations? I have only come across it on the road, never posted.

I heard from a credible source that since Yonkers ESU might be getting disbanded due to the budget cuts, WCPD has been feverishly training in extrication, CFR-D, animal control and water rescue in order to pick up the slack. If this is true, gonna be trial by fire for WCPD.

I dont see Yonkers disbanding their ESU... they are extremely busy

I personally think it is a dumb idea if Yonkers disbands its YPD-ESU division, due to budget cuts. But, apparently, Yonkers City Administrators (Mayor, City Council, etc) are determined to present a balanced budget to the state and ultimately to the citizens of the city. (Police and Fire Cuts are apparently in the plans). If this does indeed go thru, and the parkways in Yonkers are dependent upon either the YFD and now, apparently the WCPD-ESU unit, maybe this is a slow attempt to regionalize emergency services throughout the county. Yonkers, it appears, is just the first city/town/village to put their feet in the sand and take a strong financial position on this.

Don't be surprised that the COUNTY OF WESTCHESTER, Department of Emergency Services gets more and more dependent upon, to provide Emergency Services Support throughout the county. as city/town/village budgets get tighter and tighter.

I dont see Yonkers disbanding their ESU... they are extremely busy

I heard from a credible source that since Yonkers ESU might be getting disbanded due to the budget cuts, WCPD has been feverishly training in extrication, CFR-D, animal control and water rescue in order to pick up the slack. If this is true, gonna be trial by fire for WCPD.

I've heard that there may administrative changes to the way ESU is structured but I've never heard a whisper of them being disbanded. Yonkers needs an ESU and it would be absurd to do away with such a critical resource.

WCPD is training new guys to maintain their own coverage; it has nothing to do with Yonkers.

I personally think it is a dumb idea if Yonkers disbands its YPD-ESU division, due to budget cuts. But, apparently, Yonkers City Administrators (Mayor, City Council, etc) are determined to present a balanced budget to the state and ultimately to the citizens of the city. (Police and Fire Cuts are apparently in the plans). If this does indeed go thru, and the parkways in Yonkers are dependent upon either the YFD and now, apparently the WCPD-ESU unit, maybe this is a slow attempt to regionalize emergency services throughout the county. Yonkers, it appears, is just the first city/town/village to put their feet in the sand and take a strong financial position on this.

Don't be surprised that the COUNTY OF WESTCHESTER, Department of Emergency Services gets more and more dependent upon, to provide Emergency Services Support throughout the county. as city/town/village budgets get tighter and tighter.

One bit of misinformation and you've got a whole new conspiracy theory. Westchester can't regionalize anything let alone the highly specialized services of police ESU.

The Department of Emergency Services has little to do with police operations so they will not be much of player in your grand theory that the County is taking over.

BFD1054 likes this

it would be nice to see it in the northern part of the county.

x4093k likes this

It responded this week to my condo complex in the town of Ossining. There was a possible sick raccoon in/near the playground. I don't know if they were ultimately successful in capturing the animal but from what could see the truck was pretty bad a**!!

Really? ESU cops for a "possible" sick animal? Thats a call for the greenest of rookie Animal Control Officers.....was it perhaps "just around the corner" when the ACO was called or something?

Really? ESU cops for a "possible" sick animal? Thats a call for the greenest of rookie Animal Control Officers.....was it perhaps "just around the corner" when the ACO was called or something?

Not at all uncommon down here where people call 911 for EVERYTHING. ESU carries snares, tranquilizer guns, and other tools to deal with nuisance animals. A lot of towns down have responsive animal control around the clock so it falls on the PD.

Bababoosky likes this

Not at all uncommon down here where people call 911 for EVERYTHING. ESU carries snares, tranquilizer guns, and other tools to deal with nuisance animals. A lot of towns down have responsive animal control around the clock so it falls on the PD.

Wow...that totally sucks for you guys...but I guess it lightens up the day sometimes..

Wow...that totally sucks for you guys...but I guess it lightens up the day sometimes..

Your sentiments are a common misconception amongst the uninformed because for most ESU guys, it doesn't suck. The key element of the mnemonic ESU is SERVICE. ESU cops are there as a service to their fellow patrol officers by utilizing specialized training and providing specialized equipment to get a job done that a patrol cop can't possibly do with his/her level of training and equipment at hand. Whether it's a sick raccoon, a cop who locks his/her keys in their patrol car, retrieving a piece of evidence from an area that may be inaccessible to patrol officers, all the way up to the big pin job or the big newsworthy hostage job, real ESU cops enjoy being an asset to their fellow officers and take pride in their work, from the "ridiculous animal job" to the heavy jobs.

A lot of people think an ESU cop spends his days cutting people out of cars and booming doors. The reality is most of the time is spent with the seemingly mundane jobs, but even the mudnane jobs have their role. An ESU cop who becomes proficient handling animals and utilizing the tranquilizer guns and animal nooses by responding to "all those silly animal jobs" will be more proficient when he/she is now executing a search warrant and is tasked with utilizing the same equipment to neutralize the drug dealers aggressive pit bull.

It was in the afternoon when the racoon was spotted. Whenever a nocturnal animal such as a raccoon is out during the day you have to assume it may be rabid. Not to mention, it was in a playground that is often frequented by children. Sick or not raccoons aren't usually the friendliest creatures to stumble upon!

It was in the afternoon when the racoon was spotted. Whenever a nocturnal animal such as a raccoon is out during the day you have to assume it may be rabid. Not to mention, it was in a playground that is often frequented by children. Sick or not raccoons aren't usually the friendliest creatures to stumble upon!

Speaking of misconceptions.

It is not uncommon to see such animals out in daylight hours. They are slaves to their stomachs, and luckily for them, in the Hudson Valley area, there is no shortage of food, and they have to look no further than garbage cans and dumpsters.

Merely seeing a raccon, or possum, or other vermin out during the day is not cause for concern or to contact the police (or ACO), unless they are exhibiting signs of sickness.

And I apologize that you took my post to heart JJB...it was not an insult to LEO's at all...but it is obvious you are hyper-sensitize to what you perceive to be "cop bashing". I think I have a proven track record in life, and here on Bravo, as just the opposite.

And I apologize that you took my post to heart JJB...it was not an insult to LEO's at all...but it is obvious you are hyper-sensitize to what you perceive to be "cop bashing". I think I have a proven track record in life, and here on Bravo, as just the opposite.

No need to apologize as I did not take your post as an insult or "cop bashing" in any way, and I didn't take your post to heart. I was clarifying the roles, responsibilites, and dedicated mindset to service that true ESU officers possess. If you consider disseminating information to the membership who clearly don't understand the role of an ESU cop, then I guess you can call me "hypersensitive". There's a proven track record here on EMTBravo that most assume that ESU cops are cutting people out of cars and banging down doors on a daily basis despite the fact that the truth is that a significant number of requests for ESU services are to handle routine, even mundane, calls for service such as sick raccoon calls which some assume are simply calls for the "greenest of animal control officers" and not an ESU function.

SageVigiles and Bull McCaffrey like this