Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

No more Social Security checks in the mail starting next year

4 posts in this topic

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/2012/04/16/news/doc4f8b5623a9dd2689853267.txt

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Starting next year, the check will no longer be in the mail for millions of people who receive Social Security and other government benefits.

The federal government, which issues 73 million payments a month, is phasing out paper checks for all benefit programs, requiring people to get payments electronically, either through direct deposit or a debit card for those without a bank account."

-----------------------------------

Progress is good, moving to a digital world is what the future holds however, this also means roughly 73 MILLION pieces of mail will no longer be handled by the POST OFFICE! a service that is already struggling due to less mail volume will suffer even more when this happens.

Yes this will save the federal government money and will save trees but it also adds unemployment to the economy as more and more needs to be trimmed from the postal service.

http://www.dailyfree...d2689853267.txt

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Starting next year, the check will no longer be in the mail for millions of people who receive Social Security and other government benefits.

The federal government, which issues 73 million payments a month, is phasing out paper checks for all benefit programs, requiring people to get payments electronically, either through direct deposit or a debit card for those without a bank account."

-----------------------------------

Progress is good, moving to a digital world is what the future holds however, this also means roughly 73 MILLION pieces of mail will no longer be handled by the POST OFFICE! a service that is already struggling due to less mail volume will suffer even more when this happens.

Yes this will save the federal government money and will save trees but it also adds unemployment to the economy as more and more needs to be trimmed from the postal service.

Why save a sinking ship?

The only mail I get is junk mail that I don't read. All important communication can be handled via email channels. Instead of trying to save the post office by sending more mail, why don't simply hire new workers to assist with federal IT instead? I can't tell you the number of municple IT problems I have read or heard about, but they do recieve their mail on time however...

I can't imagine getting my Social Security check in the mail. What a waste of paper, postage and time. I have been receiving my Social Security payments for five years and from day one, it has been direct deposit. Like clockwork, on the scheduled day of the month, the money is in my checking account by the time I get up in the morning. My mother-in-law, on the other hand doesn't understand the concept. She has to have that paper check in her hand every month so someone can help her scribble an illegible signature on the back (she cant see and her hands are crippled with arthritis) and the someone can load her and her walker into the car and drive her to the bank and then guide her and the walker into the bank so she can deposit it!!!! Talk about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks. She is going to freak out when those checks stop coming.

The post office still provides a critical service. A full 1/4 of the us by population is still without regular internet access. UPS and FedEx turn to the USPS to reach areas that are not profitable enough for their operations. These debit cards that these non internet savy seniors will be using; how do you think they'll be distributed? The postal service needs overhaul, but not elimination.

JetPhoto likes this