Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Northern Westchester Drill Photos & Story From IBM

9 posts in this topic

Photos by Peekskill-Cortlandt Patch

FD's that participated: Bedford Hills, Pocantico Hills, Croton, Continental Village, Somers, Yorktown, Millwood, Montrose VA, Buchanan, Mohegan Lake, Mount Kisco and Ossining.

Article was on April 7, 2012

The alarm went out for a large fire in the rear of IBM's T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown on Saturday morning. Reports of a raging fire and people trapped brought a dual response from the Yorktown and Millwood Fire Departments.

"This is a drill," the dispatcher said.

Upon arrival, a second alarm was sounded as the simulated fire began to spread throughout the loading dock area and the site's primary water source, a large-diameter New York City water line, was compromised.

Firefighters from Bedford Hills, Pocantico Hills, Croton, Continental Village and Somers made up a Tanker Task Force bringing thousands of gallons of water to the site where it was dumped into portable pools as the tankers shuttled back and forth to bring a steady water supply to the scene.

IBM's Emergency Response Coordinator David Raines, a safety engineer at the facility, said the site holds annual drills with area departments but that today's drill was their first multi-alarm scenario.

http://peekskill.pat...q#photo-9520414

Millwood's website has about 70 photos and a short article about the event:

http://www.millwoodfire.org/apps/public/news/newsView.cfm?News_ID=84

LARGE SCALE DRILL AT YORKTOWN IBM RESEARCH FACILITY

The Millwood Fire Department, along with multiple other agencies conducted a large scale drill on the IBM property. Multiple pieces of fire apparatus practiced operations simulating a fire in the IBM Research Facility, with a simulated loss of city water pressure.

Units: Millwood, Yorktown, Croton, Bedford Hills, Ossining, Mohegan Lake, Peekskill, Mount Kisco, Somers, Continental Village, Potantico Hills, Pleasantville, Continental Village, Goldens Bridge

Edited by firedude
peterose313 and Disaster_Guy like this

Didnt even hear or know about it... (Unless I forgot :P ) Thanks for sharing! Some great pictures and very familiar faces!

Does this IBM facility have a fire brigade with any apparatus? I know that Poughkeepsie and East Fishkill facilities still have apparatus. Thanks!

Does this IBM facility have a fire brigade with any apparatus? I know that Poughkeepsie and East Fishkill facilities still have apparatus. Thanks!

Last I knew it did

Last I knew it did

yes it does and it was a great drill to participate in

Edited by Spartan052
FFLieu likes this

It was a very interesting exercise, and I think all of the departments involved learned from the experience.