Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Removal Of IA's From "Recent Topics" Module

15 posts in this topic

I've removed Incident Alerts from the "Recent Topics" list found on the Board Index, since the can now be found in the Shoutbox.

This is due to some members flooding the Recent Topics list with IA's, which distracts from other threads and pushes other topics out of the way.

This is a trial only right now.

It wasn't really hogging it, now look how small that area is.. We will have to manually look to see if anything new came up unless we happen to look at the shout box, I sign on daily and see all the new topics or new posts made in that area..

Anyway to create a separate module on the right side of the .NET homepage for just IAs? I agree they need to be taken out of the recent topics. In the case new IA's flood the shoutbox, can we now allow more shouts to be seen. Same size window, just more can be seen when you scroll down. Same theory should apply to the shoutbox, I still want to see the day's shouts before the flood of IAs. just my 2 cents.

Edited by firedude

Anyway to create a separate module on the right side of the .NET homepage for just IAs? I agree they need to be taken out of the recent topics. In the case new IA's flood the shoutbox, can we now allow more shouts to be seen. Same size window, just more can be seen when you scroll down. Same theroy should apply to the shoutbox, I still want to see the day's shouts before the flood of IAs. just my 2 cents.

It's rare something like today happens. Like I said above, if thats taken out too( along with the recent topics area" then we will have to manually go back to the home page, and scroll down and see if theres a new one. It's not hard, just a pain to go to the recent topics page, and then to look for an IA you have to go back to the first place. I agree with you Kyle, i would also like to see the current shouts, instead of just IA's.

If that makes sense..

Ia should be postede as they happen.... not hours or two or three days later.

Hours I don't mind, I like popping on to see who had jobs that day or overnight. Days however I agree with you, unless its "the big one" or has some kind of special circumstance I could care less who had a room and contents job 3 days ago.

The new forum software has many improved features.

One of them is "View New Content". Using that feature found at the top right of the page, you can customize almost excactly what you want to see specifically and how you want to see it.

For ease right now, check it out via this link:

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

Is everyone adjusting to the IA's not being in the "Recent Topics" module on the forum index, and instead in the Shoutbox?

And, dont forget, you can choose what you want to see when you log in. Using the "View New Topics" feature found at the top right of the forums, you can customize almost excactly what you want to see specifically and how and when you want to see it.

I would MUCH rather see them in the View new Threads.....

I know you changed it to free up some clutter with other posts and such...but if you havnt noticed...there hasnt been many "other posts".....Where have all the cowbiys gone? Hmmmmmmm....food for thought

but if you havnt noticed...there hasnt been many "other posts".....Where have all the cowbiys gone? Hmmmmmmm....food for thought

Stats are pretty much the same as the old forum software. And the stats software is better then the old software, and showing all kinds of new stats,

And it's mostly about quality, not quantity. There are some really good discussions that have been going on. I'd rather have 2 excellent topics then 10 mediocre ones.

I'll agree with that for sure...but you can not dispute the fact that several of the high quality members are MIA...

Honestly, I hate it. The recent topics page is full of crap with very little relevant information on it. The most active discussions in the past few days have been about why cops shouldn't help firefighters and vice versa.

Since tactical discussions are nonexistant on this forum anymore (mostly because every single one turns into a career vs. vollie thread) I pretty much use this site to see whats going on in the world via Incident Alerts and photos. Now IA's arent on the Recent Topics thread and nobody posts photos because they get picked to death from the Monday Morning QBs. Hence why most of the quality posters on this site have moved on or no longer post. This site needs to go back to its roots.

x4093k, x129K, Danger and 1 other like this

I've removed Incident Alerts from the "Recent Topics" list found on the Board Index, since the can now be found in the Shoutbox.

This is due to some members flooding the Recent Topics list with IA's, which distracts from other threads and pushes other topics out of the way.

This is a trial only right now.

GREAT move. I have nothing against the IA's, but we as a membership can not learn much from them, other than something is going on somewhere.

Most of the topics I have been trying to follow always get booted from the recent topics list and it is frustrating to say the least, especially when people post the same incident over and over again, updating every lasting detail, every radio transmission, every time the IC farts...its a little redundant and if everyone wants to follow those things that closely, use the shout box.

I think we are forgetting what this forum is for primarily and that is discussing current topics and events in the fire, EMS and law enforcement fields. If I want to know what is happening in east bejesus NY I will buy a scanner and program it with a thousand channels and listen to that all day, when I come here it is to read and participate in forum discussions and look at pictures and videos of emergency scenes and apparatus being purchased/sold. Sorry to sound boring, but the IA's can tend to be distracting and even a little annoying at times. Use the shout box for IA tracking and use the forums for what they are...Forum Discussions.

Sorry, end of rant, begin torrent of useless insults and jabs at me all because I posted my opinion on the matter, and have a great day.

Moose

eric12401 likes this