Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Temporarily Out Of Service Hydrants

8 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering how departments notify regarding temporaily out of service hydrants.

I've noticed some departments have it in their wake up tones or pass on briefing, but mostly written on a chalkboard. Most departments my way have this information available on their MDC's. But I know a lot of agencies don't use MDC's yet.

Since this is something that can have a significant impact on fire suppresion and safety, is this something that is prioritzed?

Also, do you require the Water Utility to update you when a hydrant goes out of servic and is back in service, and do you flow test it when it does?

I know some utilities that don't even communicate with FD's, such as United Water (for profit corporation). However, I notice the local municipal water departments are usually on the ball. The city in which I live, they have two crews from the City Water Dept. who specialize in Fire Hydrants, even have their trucks customized out to repair hydrants. They are also called to major fires to ensure proper hyrant and water supply function.

I missed the little red hydrant on the front, but this is one of the Fire Hydrant Repair crew's truck. Everything you need to fix or replace a hydrant (sometimes a backhoe, probaly the only thing they don't carry, lol)

Here's the photo:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-2484.html

Here the local municipality rarely contacts us, the only way we find out is the weekly announcements or we happen to see one while driving. We do know when they are flushing hydrants and where so it's easier to plan a response if a fire alarm is in that area because it's most likely a fluctuation in water pressure in the sprinkler system.

The only way we know a hydrant is out of service is trying to get water out of it....very infrequent is a formal notification from the DEP. We put a white disc over the threads so that we and other companies know that one is no good in the future.

The only way we know a hydrant is out of service is trying to get water out of it....very infrequent is a formal notification from the DEP. We put a white disc over the threads so that we and other companies know that one is no good in the future.

Yet the parking violations people still write for blocking a hydrant with one of those discs on it ... go figure lol.

Our water department sends us a memo on what hydrant is out of service and we post it on our bulletin board in the day room and it is written on the white board in the truck room.

They then cover the hydrant with a burlap bag. Our superintendent of water is a past chief from the "valley" and one of our senior guys works for the utility as well, so there is and has been a good sharing of info.

We have a half dozen or so guys working for PW, so they usually are on site when replacing a hydrant, so they pass along the info as well.

My department is trying this new thing where if a Hydrant is OOS we will ban fires of all types (brush, structure, vehicle, ect...) within a 1,000' radius of that hydrant. .....So far so good!

Newburgher and x635 like this

If I haven't forgotten,does NYC still leave "dead" hydrants in their place? And who actually maintains and tests them, I've never really thought about that?

Yet the parking violations people still write for blocking a hydrant with one of those discs on it ... go figure lol.

]

They should. A Fire hydrant should be such, whether active or inactive. That way, the citizen can't claim he thought it was an out of service hydrant when he parked in front of it.

fireboyny likes this