Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wiscems

Slightly confused about FDNY list number

7 posts in this topic

Perhaps a stupid question, but I'm hoping an FDNY vet can answer this for me:

I received a letter today stating my list number for FDNY EMT Exam was 1229. Does that mean that when 1228 EMTs before me have been contacted, I will be? Or is it some sort of a list reference number.

Side question: It says I got a 70 percent on the "Exam", which of course was just filling out the application. How does one get a 100?

Any help appreciated.

Well the test is based off of experience....so an EMT with 5 years of experience would get an extra 10 points?..so the more experience, the more points you will have. I'm not 100% sure how the list number works in regards to hiring, because my list number was about 780.. And I was in the very first class of that exam. Don't feel discouraged. Hundreds of people will be weeded out during the hiring process. Just stay motivated and show up to everything with a professional manner. Let me know if you have any questions.

helicopper likes this

70 means you meet minimum qualifications. You have to look at the noe to see what gives you the extra points such as work experience.

Also if they are still doing things like when I was there. Some of the people in front of you could be hired already. But that is the order they call people.

Also there could be people who have moved on to other jobs such as PD or something so it's hard to determine when you will be called

ny10570 likes this

I pulled #199. I was told that we would be getting contacted via telephone/mail soon regarding physical/mental/ect examinations by a friend that's down there. I hope this is the case.

Hess1075 likes this

It's based of experience outside Fdny ems experience with Fdny ems job and college experience there's points for being a volunteer and then it comes down to the last 5 of your social security number. When I got my list number 4 years ago it said I was 1.2 but when I went to metrotech there were about 85 people getting there civil service with me

The vast majority of people get a 70 on that, so I'm guessing most of the 1,200 people ahead of you are really in the same position as you are. They do give some experience points for volunteering, and transports, but not as much as if you have full time experience @ the voluntary hospitals in the city. That said, there usually aren't that many voluntary EMTs looking to go to FDNY because they are not given any pay incentives and often would take nearly a $10/hour paycut. There may also be some people on the list who are provisional EMTs already employed by FDNY and just doing the paperwork to get converted to civil service, however since they've been pushing civil service hard for the last few years I doubt there's anybody left in provisional status.

Sit tight and look for work somewhere else in the mean time, since it may take 1-2 years for you to get called.