peterose313

Westchester Airport drill to simulate collision of large, small planes

45 posts in this topic

If you happen to pass by the Westchester County Airport Saturday and see 150 people sprawled out on the runway after two planes collide, don’t worry – it’s just a drill.

Two major airlines, 22 fire and EMS agencies, police, the FBI and numerous volunteer groups will participate in a full-scale emergency drill at the airport shortly after 11 a.m., said Westchester County police spokesman Kieran O’Leary.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120504/NEWS02/305040089/Westchester-Airport-drill-Saturday-simulate-collision-large-small-planes?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s&nclick_check=1

During a drill simulating a commercial airliner colliding with a single-engine plane at the Westchester County Airport, aircraft crash rescue personnel work to extinguish a staged fire at the scene May 5, 2012. Two major airlines, 22 fire and EMS agencies, law-enforcement agencies including the Westchester County police and FBI, and numerous volunteer groups participated in the full-scale emergency drill.

Photo Credit: Xavier Mascareñas / The Journal News

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BH&Dato=20120505&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=305050083&Ref=PH&odyssey=mod|defcon|img|Frontpage&nclick_check=1

PEMO3 likes this

Looks like a great drill and one that needed to be planned and played out due to the possibility of happening at West Co Airport. Just one question that jumps out at me looking at the journal news photos. How did the woman end up in the motorized wheelchair on the runway? Do they allow these chairs on planes in the passenger compartment? Been a while since I have flown anywhere.

Looks like a great drill and one that needed to be planned and played out due to the possibility of happening at West Co Airport. Just one question that jumps out at me looking at the journal news photos. How did the woman end up in the motorized wheelchair on the runway? Do they allow these chairs on planes in the passenger compartment? Been a while since I have flown anywhere.

Typically not, usually they are given a wheel chair and wheeled onto/off the plane. No?

I noticed a few tankers in the photos. Just curious about the water supply to Westchester County Airport.

Also, wouldn't any fire be fought with foam?

Question, what is the long knife like object at the end of the boom on the county airport striker?

It's called a snozzle and it's used to pierce the aircraft fuselage to spread water and/or foam on the inside of the aircraft.

I noticed a few tankers in the photos. Just curious about the water supply to Westchester County Airport.

Also, wouldn't any fire be fought with foam?

The airport has a hydrant system (some normal and some "airport" hydrants, which are low profile). Most ARFF trucks carry 2-4 loads of foam, but only 1 load of water, so if you resupply them with water, they can continue to use foam. Sometimes it is simpler to nurse them then establish a hydrant supply, also then you do not block pavement, which makes bring additional resources and having ambulances leave much easier.

It's called a snozzle and it's used to pierce the aircraft fuselage to spread water and/or foam on the inside of the aircraft.

To punch holes in the aircraft.

Oh ok, thanks. I kinda figured it was used to pierce things but wasn't sure.

Foam is only allowed to be used on the property during true emergencies due to the close proximity to wetlands and Rye Lake.

JBJ

x4093k likes this

good to see some that would rather use there time to train then march in a parade! goodd job to all involved!

Its great to see how many people came out and showed up for such an important major emergency response drill that is required every two years by the FAA, Its really sad to know how many people should have been there but blew it off instead to go to a parade.

Its great to see how many people came out and showed up for such an important major emergency response drill that is required every two years by the FAA, Its really sad to know how many people should have been there but blew it off instead to go to a parade.

The FAA requirement is every 3 years. About 12 years ago the performance was so bad that it was determined that it needed to be done every other year. I would say we need to do a lot more training.

comical115 likes this

The FAA requirement is every 3 years. About 12 years ago the performance was so bad that it was determined that it needed to be done every other year. I would say we need to do a lot more training.

Before I retired I went to some of these in a couple of these big drills in a couple of different capacities and you're right. The airport needs to make its emergency preparedness less of meeting a requirement and more about getting people ready for such a response. Just doing a big exercise every couple of years isn't enough. They need to do regular drills and focus on the areas of weakness so we really have a good response when something bad happens.

Doing this every two or three years may satisfy the FAA but it won't really do much for the victims in a real disaster.

I havnt seen Peter Mac in over 12 years ...back when he was a LT on the Rescue (I think)...but I picked him out in a flash in the pics!

I havnt seen Peter Mac in over 12 years ...back when he was a LT on the Rescue (I think)...but I picked him out in a flash in the pics!

It was hard to miss him, he was wandering everywhere. The county PD had to coral him a number of times. Most of the time he was carrying the voice data recorder.

If nothing else, he makes all the evaluaters laugh :)

Edited by Bnechis
JM15 and Dinosaur like this

Barry,

Will you attending the hotwash tonight?

JBJ

Some of us "blew it off" to attend a funeral or to stand by so others could attend.

i dont think anyone is talking about that

Does anyone know why they do this warm-wash three days after the exercise? Does anyone even show up after that much time?

Barry, Will you attending the hotwash tonight?

Yes

Does anyone know why they do this warm-wash three days after the exercise? Does anyone even show up after that much time?

Because its fresh in everyones mind. Usually the room is full.

Yes

Because its fresh in everyones mind. Usually the room is full.

Barry why are you hotwashing tonight??? I thought you washed only every Saturday night ??? If even if you don't need to !!!

Barry why are you hotwashing tonight??? I thought you washed only every Saturday night ??? If even if you don't need to !!!

Really nice visual Marc. Thanks.

Bnechis likes this

Really nice visual Marc. Thanks.

Sorry George. I hope it didn't bring back memories of the shower incident during probie school......

efdcapt115 likes this