Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

HME's New Dual Front Axle Chasis "Scorpion"

13 posts in this topic

Looks like the old Spangler Dual had this idea years ago......

Probably wont be many takers for this and it will go the way of Sutphens Tower-Tiller concept rig a decade or so ago.

Pierce did have a rear wheel steer ladder years back Hewlett Ny has one.

Looks like the old Spangler Dual had this idea years ago......

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this. There are industrial rigs I have seen with a dual front wheel set and also large Bronto's in Canada and Europe with this chassis set up.

Looks like a case of, "don't need it, won't buy it". I think this rig will make a trip to the graveyard of over-engineering.....

BigBuff and ENGINE180 like this

The only reason I think that this platform would have limited success is on roads with weight limits.

The only reason I think that this platform would have limited success is on roads with weight limits.

I don't think road weight limits would matter much. Where I work, and I'm pretty sure all district and cities are like this, the rigs already weigh more than the limits set. In Newburgh, it's 5 tons for all but a handful of streets. Besides, it can't weigh a whole lot more than a regular tower ladder, and it has more foot print to distribute the weight.

However, to me it just seems like the newest gimmick to sell to fire departments with deep pockets and more money than they know what to do with.

M' Ave likes this

Interesting concept. Let's see how it shakes out in practical application.

Where I work, and I'm pretty sure all district and cities are like this, the rigs already weigh more than the limits set. In Newburgh, it's 5 tons for all but a handful of streets.

So no trucks (moving, delivery, loaded vans, etc.) can legally drive in your city? I find that very unlikely.

So no trucks (moving, delivery, loaded vans, etc.) can legally drive in your city? I find that very unlikely.

Except local delivery. Taken right from the city codes. I believe they did it years ago to limit tractor trailer traffic. Point is, just because it says 5 ton limit, doesn't mean the street is going to cave in under the weight of your rig.

288-17b

Overweight Vehicles

All trucks, tractors and tractor-trailer combinations having a total gross weight of more than 5 tons are

excluded from all city streets except on these streets:

1. Broadway from city line west to Robinson.

2. Lake Street from city line south to Broadway.

3. Robinson Ave. from city line north to city line south.

4. South Street from city line west to Robinson Ave.

The following three exceptions are also allowed:

1. The pickup or delivery of merchandise or other property on streets that would be normally excluded,

provided that the most direct route to and from the nearest truck route is used.

2. The operation of an overweight vehicle as part of a driver’s test lawfully conducted by the NYSDMV.

3. The operation of an overweight vehicle while driving it to a test site for a NYSDMV road test

provided the most direct route to and from the nearest truck route is used.

Except local delivery. Taken right from the city codes. I believe they did it years ago to limit tractor trailer traffic. Point is, just because it says 5 ton limit, doesn't mean the street is going to cave in under the weight of your rig.

288-17b

Overweight Vehicles

All trucks, tractors and tractor-trailer combinations having a total gross weight of more than 5 tons are excluded from all city streets except on these streets:

1. Broadway from city line west to Robinson.

2. Lake Street from city line south to Broadway.

3. Robinson Ave. from city line north to city line south.

4. South Street from city line west to Robinson Ave.

The following three exceptions are also allowed:

1. The pickup or delivery of merchandise or other property on streets that would be normally excluded, provided that the most direct route to and from the nearest truck route is used.

2. The operation of an overweight vehicle as part of a driver’s test lawfully conducted by the NYSDMV.

3. The operation of an overweight vehicle while driving it to a test site for a NYSDMV road test provided the most direct route to and from the nearest truck route is used.

It always amazes me how stupid elected officials can be. Since there is no exception for Fire & Public works, they have effectivly outlawed fire apparatus and snow removal (among other things).

Puts the community in wonderful liability in the event of an MVA on any street that it outlawed its own vehicles to drive.

Yup. The miracle of politics. We could fill a whole thread with city hall nonsense.

Bnechis likes this