Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

New Square corps joins Ramapo ambulance district

9 posts in this topic

The Village of New Square’s ambulance corps is joining ranks with the other five corps that contract with the town to provide emergency medical services to taxpayers.

The agreement, approved by the Ramapo Town Board at its meeting Wednesday, follows the village’s recent receipt of its permanent license from the state Department of Health, said Kim Lippes, Rockland County’s coordinator of emergency medical services.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120615/NEWS03/306150076/New-Square-corps-joins-Ramapo-ambulance-district?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage&nclick_check=1

Six ambulance corps for one town? How big is Ramapo?

Ramapo is a town made up of several smaller villages and hamlets. Like Greenburgh or Mt. Pleasant in Westchester, except larger. In 2010 Ramapo had 125,000 residents and I'm sure has only grown since.

x4093k likes this

Oh wow, didn't realize it was that big of a community.

Alex, Ramapo is about the size of New Milford, CT in land mass and equal to the population of New Haven. It is one of five townships that make up Rockland County and some of the notable villages there are Suffern, Tallman, Spring Valley and Slatsberg.

Most likely this will not effect the 5 other Corps as much as one would think their primary response area is the Village of New Square which they and Hatzolah have been covering for years. The residents usually do not call 911 but a special hotline so this will most likely not change. Now I would guess New Square can be dispatched by Ramapo Police (I have yet to hear their tones) like the 5 other corps and be used in the mutual aid plans. Within the town all the corps respond to roughly probably 10,000 calls a year (very rough guesstimate)

Spring Hill VAC is the busiest EMS service in the Town of Ramapo. The last I had heard, they responded to about 5,000 (+/-) per year. Aside from Hatzolah (all of the divisions combined around the entire state), Spring Hill VAC, as of a few years ago.....was the busiest VAC in the State of NY.

The VACs that serve the Town of Ramapo, aside from the new New Square VAC & Hatzolah, are Sloatsburg VAC, Ramapo Valley VAC, William P. Faist VAC and Spring Hill VAC.

Correct Spring Hill Community Ambulance Corps responds to on average over 5,000 calls a years and is the busiest in the Hudson Valley I know for sure. The only Corps which might have the edge for the state totals are one or two of the busier Long Island Corps.

87D124 likes this