Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

State trooper crash in East Fishkill probed

11 posts in this topic

The accident happen on the Taconic just south of Route 82, anything is possible but "50 MPH" seems a bit slow for that road.

REGARDLESS, lets be careful out there!

State trooper crash probed

The trooper was driving about 50 mph in the left lane, heading south when the vehicle spun, went into the right lane and hit an embankment on the right side of the road, causing the car to roll over a number of times, Hogan said.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20120724/NEWS01/307240001/State-trooper-crash-probed

I know yesterday morning at about 730 i was driving NB on the TSP just before the 84 exit where there is the rock wall on your right and the car in front of me who was doing about the same speed as me (50-55 because the weather was nasty) hydroplaned and pinballed between the guard rail and rockwall a couple of times. so it is possible it happened to him as well.

x4093k likes this

The accident happen on the Taconic just south of Route 82, anything is possible but "50 MPH" seems a bit slow for that road.

http://www.poughkeep...er-crash-probed

Pardon me, but isn't the speed limit on the TSP 55 mph? How could you say 50 mph is slow in inclement weather?

INIT915 and JJB531 like this

Knowing the Taconic State Autobahn (er, "Parkway"), while the posted speed limit is 55, and while common sense may dictate that 50 is a little too fast for inclement weather conditions, I'd say that a majority of motorists would be doing at least 50 or better at any time, regardless of the weather conditions.

JetPhoto and BFD1054 like this

Jim,

Maybe i missed it in the article, but did this crash involve a NYSP vehicle or a POV? Either way, hope the Trooper is doing ok.

Pardon me, but isn't the speed limit on the TSP 55 mph? How could you say 50 mph is slow in inclement weather?

George,

I could be wrong, but i believe Jim was trying to elude to the fact that the speed limit is very often ignored on the TSP. I dont believe he was suggesting that 50 MPH was slow for inclement weather.

Jim,

Maybe i missed it in the article, but did this crash involve a NYSP vehicle or a POV? Either way, hope the Trooper is doing ok.

George,

I could be wrong, but i believe Jim was trying to elude to the fact that the speed limit is very often ignored on the TSP. I dont believe he was suggesting that 50 MPH was slow for inclement weather.

Yes I was referring to people ignoring the speed limit.

This was a NYSP SUV the trooper was extricated by East Fishkill FD

BFD1054 and TAPSJ like this

There have been issues with those SUV's. It was referenced in an article about the State Trooper who died a few months back upstate. SUV's are great, but, honestly, they can get squirrely at with the center of gravity so high. I know the NYSP revised their training a few years back when they increased the use of SUV's and I know they are lower to the ground then the average comparable model but they are still SUV's. I am not saying any of this had to do with this accident, but attention has been given to SUV's by the NYSP.

The trooper was driving about 50 mph in the left lane, heading south when the vehicle spun, went into the right lane and hit an embankment on the right side of the road, causing the car to roll over a number of times, Hogan said.

East Fishkill Rescue Squad ambulance transported him to Saint Francis Hospital where he was released after treatment

Perhaps we are overlooking the most important aspect of this article? The (I'm assuming Tahoe) SUV rolled, the Trooper was probably wearing his seatbelt, and after getting checked out was released from the hospital.

In my opinion that's a pretty strong testament as to the safety of the vehicle. I wonder if there are any statistics out there showing LE traffic injuries/fatalities and the vehicles they were driving. Just a guess, those driving LARGER SUV's such as Tahoes (def. not Explorers) might be pretty low.

He probably didn't have his eyes fixated on the speedometer so that was his approximation. Either way SP Investigators are experts in determining speeds based on the crash data.

I too wonder about the poliferation of SUVs in LE. I thought the new Dodge Chargers were a great idea for the troopers and other LE because of stability and performance.

Disclaimer I have no LE experience and my observations are based on my thoughts and a bunch of anecdotal evidence from some experienced cops I have talked to.

Virtually every law enforcement involved motor vehicle accident is thoroughly investigated (certainly one resulting in personal injury will be) so I'm not sure what the big deal is with the article.

Really nothing more than a poorly written IA if you ask me. :blink:

Glad the trooper is OK!