Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
craigs71

RIP James Chulla- Sleepy Hollow FD

12 posts in this topic

James L. Chulla died August 12, 2012 at the age of 88. He was born on May 30, 1924 in Rholapp, Utah to Samuel and Dorothy Chulla. He came to N. Tarrytown at age four, where he attended N. T. Grammar and High School, graduating in the class of 1942. He enlisted in the United States Navy, serving in the Seabee’s in the 71st and 87th Battalions, where he was in combat duty in the South Pacific on many islands. He was honorably discharged in January 1946 as a Machinist Mate First Class. He received two Bronze Stars, a Victory Medal and Good Conduct Medal.

He worked for Mallory Battery Plant in N. Tarrytown for 16 years, two years with the postal service and retired from General Motors in 1986, after 23 years. In 1949, he joined North Tarrytown Fire Department, belonging to Rescue Hose Company #1, where he served as chief engineer in 1964 and led the department to two NY Daily News awards for rescuing eight people in two fires. He was a member of the Westchester and Hudson Valley Volunteer Firemen’s Associations and was a member of the NY State Fire Chief’s Association. In 1999, he was honored for 50 years of service within the department. He also had a love for amateur art painting and he was a founding member of the N.T. Dad’s Baseball Club. He was also a member of the VFW Post 1939.

On November 16, 1946, he married Katherine Blascik in Holy Cross Church. She predeceased him on May 20, 1998.

Jim is survived by his three children; James, Jr., MaryJean and Richard (Cathy); his seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He is also survived by his sister-in-law MaryAnn Blascik and his niece Kathleen Chulla as well as several nieces and nephews. In addition to his wife, he was predeceased by his siblings Louis Chulla, Josephine Urso and Ann Wilson and his grandson Scott Scudieri.

Visitation will be at Coffey Funeral Home on Thursday from 2-4 & 7-9 PM. His Funeral Mass will be Friday at the Church of the Magdalene at 10:00 with interment to follow in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to Sleepy Hollow Fire Department would be appreciated.

efdcapt115, JetPhoto, 210 and 1 other like this

What a life lead by a great man with so many accomplishments. I'm really in awe. Another great American from what has been called "The Greatest Generation."

May He Rest in Eternal Peace.

210 likes this

Its always the little stories like this that make life better. R.I.P.

A tribute to the fire service and life in general....may he rest in peace.

He set a fine example for his family that is carried on today. Condolences to Richie and his family

Thank you for serving our country (Military & fire), Rest in Peace Brother

Thank you for serving, sir. Rest In Peace.

RIP.

My condolances go out to the whole Chulla Family.,I was lucky enough to know Mr.Chulla as a young firefighter in NT--now Sleppy Hollow. he always had a encourganging word to say to us youngsters. He always had a smile on his face and extreamly dediciaded to the fire service. So I not only salute a memebr of the "Greatest Generation" for his work for our Country but also salute his work in and for the fire service.

I know his work and committment to the fire service has been passed to his son Rich-- the Chulla tridation will live on.

Walter Ferguson

Former Ladder 38

NTFD

JM15 and efdcapt115 like this

he will be missed and i agree with walter he was a true gentlemen,