Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Two SC Ambualnce Companies Chase Calls for Patients

6 posts in this topic

Very interesting whats going on in Fort Mill, SC. Fort Mill Rescue Squadvs Piedmont Medical Center EMS

A news report copied from the website of news station WCNC in Charlotte, North Carolina. Summary description, a for-profit hospital based and a local town non-profit EMS squad engage in fierce competition for patients and dollars. Right of upload of this newscast is claimed under the Fair Use doctrine in the common law and in the United Stated Copyright Act of 1976, see Title 17, United States Code Section 107.

Westfield12 and Sailr322 like this

That's disheartening that a hospital based EMS agency is doing that to a local EMS agency. I know they say it's not competition to a degree and that they're just keeping up with calls, but come on its obvious you want the money from the patients; especially if "Your going to Piedmont Hospital." They obviously just want the money and the fact that they are "racing" to the scene puts not only the crews at risk but the public as its uneccesary. If they have a contract with the county I'd be curious to see what that contract says and whether or not they're abiding by it. It sounds like the county needs to get involved at some point and say enough is enough, if one company calls the other for assistance thats fine, but if the other agency can cover their call so be it.

Westfield12 likes this

Ahhhh...I remember the good old days of ALS intercepts with the "closest available medic" and the Alamo - Sloper 500!

medic25 and 87D124 like this

What a huge waste of resources sending two ambulances on every call, never mind the increased risk to the public with two competing ambulance services each trying to beat the other to the call. Perhaps its time for the County to do what it should have done a long time ago....Solicit bids for the right to provide the service and award the contract to the service making the best offer.

In a more comedic moment it reminds me of "Mother, Juggs and Speed".

I was thinking the same thing. " I never noticed this before but you're a good looking woman" Oh my god, funny.