efdcapt115

In Two Days

6 posts in this topic

It will be September 11th. And here we are 11 years later. The most infamous day of our generation has a meaning to every American. Everyone was affected that day. Some obviously much more than others.

I think about our New York City Brothers and Sisters from the jobs. Some of the people that I know personally, absolutely amaze me/have amazed me as they picked themselves up from the dust and debris and carried on doing their jobs. They've taught me so much about personal fortitude and inner strength.

There's one guy I know and love. He was a Bronx truckie, a Brooklyn truckie, a Manhattan truckie. He's one of the few that wears a two star 9/11 medal. Lost so many personal friends, I honestly to this day have a hard time understanding how he was able to carry on.

Yeah, he got banged up pretty good and had to put his papers in. Aside from the hundreds of heroes who were lost, with all of their combined experience and knowledge, it amazes me how the FDNY in particular was able to rebuild itself in the aftermath of a loss of such magnitude.

This Brother though, he is so knowledgeable about the fire service; the FDNY losing him to premature retirement was yet another huge loss for the agency. He could have easily been a great Chief Officer.

Yet, with the personal losses this Brother endured, he not only carried on through the physical and emotional pain, he has still been able to contribute to the fire service in other ways; with his knowledge and desire to help others he has done that and more.

To say that I am in awe of this Brother would be an understatement.

I continually ask myself how this man does it. In many ways, he has been a mentor to me. He has been there for me when times have been difficult. Always a reassuring voice, always positive, always pointing out the things I should be grateful for. Reminding me not to dwell so much on personal failures, loss, and things that cannot be changed.

I thank God for a Brother like him. He has taught me so much, I cannot begin to say how I feel about him. About never being able to adequately express my gratitude for his friendship, his mentoring, his Brotherhood. I grew up without an older brother, and always wished I had one. God sent this man my way in the aftermath of 9/11, and I honestly feel like he became that brother I always wished I had.

In two days, the Remembrance Ceremonies will take place. It is repeatedly a heart wrenching day. I feel and will always remember the sacrifices our Brothers and Sisters made for the good of others; for the good of all of us.

Many people have forgotten. To much of the country, 9/11 was a television experience. The wars have been that way for most of us as well. It is our duty, as emergency service personnel to keep the flame of memory alive for our lifetimes.

You know, I never truly understood what WWII veterans felt about Pearl Harbor until the years slowly built up after 9/11. Now I do.

And for my Brother, I know enough to let him alone in the days leading up to 9/11, and the days afterward. For him, it is entirely personal. But I'll be thinking about him anyway, along with the heroes who left us that day. Thinking, remembering, and saying thank you once again.

Edited by efdcapt115

Capt you summed it up better than most of us could. Really great post. Obviously from the heart. Unfotunately to too many people 9/11 has become like a mini-series that has been canceled. More effort is placed on remembering the anniversary of Michael Jackson, John Lenon or other celebrities than the over 3500 human lives lost that day and close to 400 combined FDNY, NYPD, PAPD and EMS personnel who perished not to mention the countless others that continue to pay the ultimate price for their actions of that day. September 11 should be made a National Day of Mourning so what happened in NY, Washington DC and PA will never be forgotten. But time to get off my soap box.

post-957-0-37838100-1347217934.png

calhobs, firedude, Sailr322 and 3 others like this

I have a cousin who I knew worked at the World Trade Center but I didn't know where until the 10th anniversary. She sent me a picture of her pass for the 79th floor. I don't know which tower, and I won't ask her,either. She'll say when she's ready.

She didn't go to work on 9/11.

Instead, she took the day off to go to the pound and get a puppy.

BigBuff, BFD1054 and Ex-2114 like this

I also have a member in my firehouse whom lived through the September 11th attacks...He never really speaks much about that day but i know his story and how badly he was injured physically and emotionally...Everytime i work with him i always think to myself, "wow, after all he's been through, pain, and injuries, he is still coming to work, getting on the engine, and taking in runs!" That alone speaks volumes of the mans personal character and what he stands for...God bless the men and women who've past before us, on that day, and the days after. God bless all those who still choose a career path in the emergency services while knowing the inherent risks we all face in our line of work. Prayers for everyone here and now and forever

My thoughts going into it are always the same. Thinking of the families of those that we lost. Sometimes it seems like only yesterday until I see the kids. Those that were toddlers are now teenagers and those that were young kids are now driving.

Sailr322, grumpyff and efdcapt115 like this