Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Firefighting Tourists Paying to Help Fight Detroit's Fires...

30 posts in this topic

This can't be real....

Tourists paying to help fight Detroit's fires: Is this idea for real?

DETROIT (WJBK) - Are you a firefighter from a sleepy corner of this planet? Don't feel much like a man because you don't get much action? Don't worry because you can now pay to become a Detroit firefighter for a day. Seriously

Full Fox Detroit Article with VIDEO: http://www.myfoxdetr...s-idea-for-real

As ridiculous as it sounds and regardless of unanswered questions, I am sure there are more than a few that will eagerly sign up, pay-up and show up to do it. I think their exploits will hit the internet as soon as they finish their tour and can download the photo's and video.

A sad commentary I think, but I think if this idea fails, it will not be due to the lack of participants.

I am quite sure there would be "plenty of takers". But I'd love to be one of those Detroit Firefighters when they show up carrying their gear and helmets. First thing I'd have them do is grab a toilet brush and let them get a feel of the job. Then maybe a mop etc.

And even better, if we caught work, I'd make sure they are on the nob right in front of me strtching in. So they can feel all the heat and get all the excitment any real firefighter can ask for. My guess is after that, they would be crying to go home. And their days of Playing Detroit Firefighter would be over.

Yes, if I was one of those Detroit Fire Officers I would Welcome them to join us.

efdcapt115 and sfrd18 like this

I couldn't agree more with you Willie. It's one thing going out to buff a department, hand out with them, go to a call and the guys on the rig ask you to take a hydrant while riding with them (if they were to do that). But this idea of paying to be a firefighter for a day there is another reason to remove the top commanders and political appointees who really know nothing of the fire service from their positions.

I hope this was only a tongue in cheek response memo to something else. But watching 'Good Ol' Charlie's" news piece convinced me it was not.

AND I hope that no true firefighter; career, volunteer, private industrial, military or retired brother would ever consider doing such a thing.

BBBMF, efdcapt115 and sfrd18 like this

Ok maybe this should not be open to everyone but the idea has some merit if done a little differently. What if they had the probes from career academies spend their last week in the academy doing tours in various ‘busy’ houses. This way upon graduation they have some experience their first day on the job.

Ok maybe this should not be open to everyone but the idea has some merit if done a little differently. What if they had the probes from career academies spend their last week in the academy doing tours in various ‘busy’ houses. This way upon graduation they have some experience their first day on the job.

That's different. If they are a week from career academy graduation, then they have recieved the training necessary to at least integrate into the crew, be called a probie, and be taken under the wing of the senior men. These guys are being paid as they go through the academy, and are covered under some sort of insurance under their employer, the fire dept. they are employed with.

These guys are just yahoo's looking for some dumb fun.

Edited by newsbuff

You don't have to go to Detrot to find a scab, they are all around Port Chester. Career guys from other jobs close buy Volunteering when our job is suffering with low manpower down 50 % and soon to 60 % and now stealing our Fire Watch. Brotherhood is allmost gone

BIGRED1, KRF178, efdcapt115 and 6 others like this

Forget the idea that Detriot is looking for people to pay to be firefighters... we should all be there (although we cannot be) to help this city; fire, police, financially, etc. (In an unrealistic solution... possibly) FEMA should send over several companies from surrounding cities, towns, states, etc to cover for the time, even Police. Or, instead of that $1 million fireboat that Union Fire Company got and had to return, the government should buy a couple rigs and send qualified FF's over to assist week to week. I understand... its your city and your brotherhood and you want your own guys back and maybe the government should help you financially, but the city is far beyond falling apart; take any help you can get.

tommyguy likes this

The last thing you want is for them to get "experience" in someone elses way of doing things. Not saying they do it the wrong way, but each dept. does do things different and you do not want new ff's that now spent a week or 2 somewhere else and want to do it that way.

sfrd18, 16fire5, efdcapt115 and 1 other like this

The last thing you want is for them to get "experience" in someone elses way of doing things. Not saying they do it the wrong way, but each dept. does do things different and you do not want new ff's that now spent a week or 2 somewhere else and want to do it that way.

Very true Cap.

And on a side note I'd like to compliment you on your impeccable grammar these past few months. For a guy who couldn't spell "spell" (probably because you looked at the keyboards more than the screen.....my oh my you sure have gotten better at it. I've also noticed you do a lot more OSHA Standards referencing; 29CFR1910.134 comes to mind as of late.

Are you SURE it's really you Cap? :rolleyes: lol

Bnechis, sfrd18, PCFD ENG58 and 1 other like this

Forget the idea that Detriot is looking for people to pay to be firefighters... we should all be there (although we cannot be) to help this city; fire, police, financially, etc. (In an unrealistic solution... possibly) FEMA should send over several companies from surrounding cities, towns, states, etc to cover for the time, even Police. Or, instead of that $1 million fireboat that Union Fire Company got and had to return, the government should buy a couple rigs and send qualified FF's over to assist week to week. I understand... its your city and your brotherhood and you want your own guys back and maybe the government should help you financially, but the city is far beyond falling apart; take any help you can get.

They dont need other guys and rigs and stuff...the need MONEY, and their laid off guys BACK.....

Bnechis, BBBMF, efdcapt115 and 5 others like this

First I agree with the Captain, you can't train one way and play another. But I don't agree with outside troops. They need to get their troops back in firehouses and rigs repaired. Realistically Detroit needs to have the Seabees visit during drill weekends and demolish vacants. Once there is a consolidation of vacants (work load) a fully staffed / repaired department can fulfill the needs for the public

SageVigiles likes this

You don't have to go to Detrot to find a scab, they are all around Port Chester. Career guys from other jobs close buy Volunteering when our job is suffering with low manpower down 50 % and soon to 60 % and now stealing our Fire Watch. Brotherhood is allmost gone

So you notify the locals of where these "Brothers" work, and let their union deal with them..............My union doesn't really get on guys for volunteering, but they make a HUGE point that you do NOT volunteer in a combo dept. where there are IAFF members!

So you notify the locals of where these "Brothers" work, and let their union deal with them..............My union doesn't really get on guys for volunteering, but they make a HUGE point that you do NOT volunteer in a combo dept. where there are IAFF members!

I disagree. In most cases it is not dealt with by the union or the house. Ask the NYPFFA 5th district. And now that Cassidy got beat badly in the IAFF race he will not care a thing about what goes on outside the borders of the city.

PCFD ENG58 likes this

I disagree. In most cases it is not dealt with by the union or the house. Ask the NYPFFA 5th district. And now that Cassidy got beat badly in the IAFF race he will not care a thing about what goes on outside the borders of the city.

Good point...........he'll act like he cares.....

PCFD ENG58 and 16fire5 like this

I know I'm kinda stating the obvious here, but why not go to the top? Make contact with the IAFF 1st district in Brooklyn(or at least I think Brooklyn). I mean this isn't the first time that this has happened, and I'm willing to bet that's probably grounds for having their membership revoked. Or at least I'd like to think it should be...that's just spitting in the face of fellow union brothers. While I don't do it, there are some guys who like to volunteer in their home depts...which if they do, that's their business. But if they do it in another local's shop, then it becomes every dues paying IAFF members business.

I know I'm kinda stating the obvious here, but why not go to the top? Make contact with the IAFF 1st district in Brooklyn(or at least I think Brooklyn). I mean this isn't the first time that this has happened, and I'm willing to bet that's probably grounds for having their membership revoked. Or at least I'd like to think it should be...that's just spitting in the face of fellow union brothers. While I don't do it, there are some guys who like to volunteer in their home depts...which if they do, that's their business. But if they do it in another local's shop, then it becomes every dues paying IAFF members business.

I wouldn't revoke their membership; if you do that, then I believe under the law, they can still work the job, but pay no dues and the union still has to represent them. Better to levy a fine and that way you still have a level of control over them as members of the bargaining unit. Even if they resign their membership and become core members, you will still collect a fee equal to what their dues would normally be.

I wouldn't revoke their membership; if you do that, then I believe under the law, they can still work the job, but pay no dues and the union still has to represent them. Better to levy a fine and that way you still have a level of control over them as members of the bargaining unit. Even if they resign their membership and become core members, you will still collect a fee equal to what their dues would normally be.

I also think they would still be working, but I think that any union sponsored benefits, such as health, any Union sponsored annuities and so on, would be suspended. Any benefits paid for by the municipality would remain in effect. If any union delegates or board members are on, maybe they can elaborate.

Union? Brotherhood? Tradition? Senior man? What's that? Now it's all "IGM" (I got mine!)

PCFD ENG58 likes this

I also think they would still be working, but I think that any union sponsored benefits, such as health, any Union sponsored annuities and so on, would be suspended. Any benefits paid for by the municipality would remain in effect. If any union delegates or board members are on, maybe they can elaborate.

I believe you are correct; any union-sponsored benefits, ie; scholarships, social events, union sponsored life insurance, etc would not be applicable to them. But as you mentioned, union delegates or board members should be able to clarify.

What's next - "pay to be a police officer for a day"? Get shot at in Murder City for fun and laughs?

I love Michigan, but I avoid Detroit like the plague.

Seems that alot of international firefighters visit Detroit FD. A crew from Zelzate, Belgium spent a few days with Squad 4.

http://doubledeucefi...83535&k=kW47qC6

Same guys who almost went through the roof for keeps at this worker....great move city of Detroit.

http://www.clickonde...hz/-/index.html

p.s. just saw JM15 already posted this!

Edited by spin_the_wheel
x129K likes this