Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smang

FDNY Exam

20 posts in this topic

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal this morning saying that the lawyers for the City of New York are going to ask a federal judge for approval to start hiring from the most recent FDNY Exam. It stated that of the ~41,000 people who took the exam, over 8,000 earned a score high enough to be considered for employment. It also gave some numbers as to how many they are planning to hire in the next 3 years. I think it was 2,000- 2,500- 3,800 respectively. I'm sure some of that includes FDNY EMS. To me, 8,000 out of over 40,000 seems like a pretty poor number of people that took to the exam to those who will actually be considered for employment. I guess that is good for those who did score high enough.

Has anyone gotten their test results yet? How long after the test is approved do they start calling people to take the CPAT?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

You won't get your test results until the court appointed special master approves the list. So I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find anything in todays Wall Street Journal..

It stated that of the ~41,000 people who took the exam, over 8,000 earned a score high enough to be considered for employment.

Its also a sad commentary on our country if only roughly 1 in 4 people could pass that test..

SageVigiles likes this

Its also a sad commentary on our country if only roughly 1 in 4 people could pass that test..

http://www.nydailynews.com/scores-blacks-hispanics-soar-newly-revamped-fdny-test-article-1.1168399?post_id=100000600302076_444228925628277

Actually, it is quite the opposite. Over 95% of the individuals who took the test passed. The 9,417 people who scored a 97% or above are likely to be considered for hiring.

Bottom line... They wanted everyone to pass the test, and thats what they got. In the article it is already clear that the next step for certain organizations is to attack the "post-test" process, i.e. interview/investigation, psyc test, and the CPAT. After that it will be the FDNY Academy itself, followed by the entire profession of firefighting.

JBJ

Firesbane67 and FF1 like this

Thanks, JBJ. I hadn't seen the article in the Daily News. Seems to be much more informative.

How about a test for people who are almost 50 and have green eyes!!! What a disgrace to the civil service system!

BFD1054 likes this

#1100 HAS A 102% SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT HERE

#1100 HAS A 102% SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT HERE

Why not? If the test was dumbed down as many have claimed (I can't say, I didn't take/see the test), and once you add Veterans/Residency/Legacy Points, 1100 candidates scoring over 102 does seem plausible, no?

BFD1054 likes this

Why not? If the test was dumbed down as many have claimed (I can't say, I didn't take/see the test), and once you add Veterans/Residency/Legacy Points, 1100 candidates scoring over 102 does seem plausible, no?

My thoughts exactly.

Keep in mind this is pre-CPAT, medical and background. 1100 is a number that could shrink easily. Granted you have to take into account the 650 or so they're putting through from FDNY*EMS. But also keep in mind FDNY is down ~3,000 guys if I'm not mistaken. A little too soon to toss all your hopes down the drain. DCAS is mailing out scores so just "keep calm and carry on."

BFD1054 likes this

I still haven't taken this test. I was registered, but deployed to Afghanistan when it was administered.

My thoughts exactly.

Keep in mind this is pre-CPAT, medical and background. 1100 is a number that could shrink easily. Granted you have to take into account the 650 or so they're putting through from FDNY*EMS. But also keep in mind FDNY is down ~3,000 guys if I'm not mistaken. A little too soon to toss all your hopes down the drain. DCAS is mailing out scores so just "keep calm and carry on."

We are short 650 firefighters, not 3000. About one and a half academy classes will most likely be drawn from the EMS promotional list. One class, beginning in January, is almost a certainty and will be comprised of all promos.

As you can see in that top 1,100, there are many vets and children of deceased FDNY/NYPD members. While it is true that the physical has not yet been conducted....I can't imagine too many military vets will have trouble with the laughably easy CPAT.

The city anticipates a 4:1 ratio or list numbers needed to fill each position. That number will probably be smaller in the beginning and then grow as the list ages. The city has said that they anticipate filling 2,400 positions over the life of the list and that will require reaching list numbers in the 8,000+ range after using the promotional list. These are all ballpark estimates the city has made.

JBJ1202 likes this